Author Topic: OS Maps and direction indicator  (Read 12134 times)

Greytop

Re: OS Maps and direction indicator
« Reply #15 on: 16:43:13, 13/08/20 »
Well I have partly solved it to get the direction indicator working.
With my phone not having the necessary hardware ie. a magnetron, I downloaded an app that is a compass that is derived from the GPS.
This works fine as long as I am moving, however when you stop say bye bye to the compass.
So my OS mapping works really good when I am on my bike, though not so good when I am walking, unless I walk reasonably fast.  ;D ;D ;D ;D In answer to the post by gunwharfman you cannot really blame the app at all, only the phone, for not having the necessary hardware namely the magnetic sensor.    

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:54:41, 13/08/20 »
...With my phone not having the necessary hardware ie. a magnetron...

I use a magnetron to make my Oat So Simple every morning!  ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Greytop

« Reply #17 on: 17:05:39, 13/08/20 »
I use a magnetron to make my Oat So Simple every morning!  ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:13:40, 13/08/20 »
As a try, why not download the 'free' Backcountry app and see if it works in the way that you want it to. If not just delete it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:35:48, 13/08/20 »
I do not see how downloading another app , albeit a compass , will tell the ordnance survey app to point the cursor in direction of travel . The OS app already knows where North is .  ???
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:53:38, 13/08/20 »
I do not see how downloading another app , albeit a compass , will tell the ordnance survey app to point the cursor in direction of travel . The OS app already knows where North is .  ???
Absolutely right, either a phone has a built in compass or it doesn't.  Adding an app will not help unless the compass is present.  The GPS hardware can only tell the phone where is in 3 dimensions.  If you move between gps readings, an app can tell you in which direction and how far you have travelled but not which way you are facing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Greytop

« Reply #21 on: 20:04:36, 13/08/20 »

Well I can assure you it does, I tested it out on my bike.
I assume because the os app requires access to a compass to enable the cursor to show the direction of travel. Same goes for Google maps I guess, because that previously did not show direction of travel and does now, providing  you keep moving.
Previously os maps still showed your progression on a route albeit with the arrow pointing north. Now it shows progression with the arrow pointing in the direction of travel.
Works well on my bike not so well while walking.
« Last Edit: 20:08:27, 13/08/20 by Greytop »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:09:58, 13/08/20 »
At doing what?..

Doing their thing ... 8)
« Last Edit: 20:32:17, 13/08/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:13:39, 13/08/20 »
Absolutely right, either a phone has a built in compass or it doesn't.  Adding an app will not help unless the compass is present.  The GPS hardware can only tell the phone where is in 3 dimensions.  If you move between gps readings, an app can tell you in which direction and how far you have travelled but not which way you are facing.

Spot on. My first GPS watch (Garmin Vivoactive) could tell me in which direction I was walking... but only while I was actually moving.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:27:09, 13/08/20 »

Well I can assure you it does, I tested it out on my bike.
I assume because the os app requires access to a compass to enable the cursor to show the direction of travel. Same goes for Google maps I guess, because that previously did not show direction of travel and does now, providing  you keep moving.
Previously os maps still showed your progression on a route albeit with the arrow pointing north. Now it shows progression with the arrow pointing in the direction of travel.
Works well on my bike not so well while walking.
Try stopping and facing in a constant direction for a few minutes.  If the direction indicator hunts - it was using dead reckoning from the gps to interpolate the direction you are faced - not a compass.  Second check. before you set off on your bike, does it know which direction you are facing?  A compass will, gps won't.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:39:39, 13/08/20 »
I'm now confused, the original comment said 'when following a route my triangle on the route continually points north, rather than the direction I am travelling in' and I have explained that my Backcountry app does what the writer wants (and more) without any problems at all. I've had this app on three separate smartphones and its on my tablet and none of them, or the app, has never failed me. As a lay person it would suggest to me that if the individual is using a smartphone why not try other apps, their seems to be a lot of them? Do they actually make smartphones with something missing, if they do dump the phone and buy another one. Thats the best answer I can come up with. For between £100-£200 you can by a 'world beating' one.  :)

Mine cost far less than £200, has two SIM slots and has another phone hidden inside it as well. I have three apps with built in compasses, more than I know what to do with. I've never learned how to use the 'hidden phone' but want to as soon as I can, it might be a good place to 'hide' my Last Pass and banking app?

Greytop

« Reply #26 on: 20:43:38, 13/08/20 »
Try stopping and facing in a constant direction for a few minutes.  If the direction indicator hunts - it was using dead reckoning from the gps to interpolate the direction you are faced - not a compass.  Second check. before you set off on your bike, does it know which direction you are facing?  A compass will, gps won't.

I disagree with gps locked on to satellites, will always be able to know your direction of travel due to your relative movement between the satellites. If you look on google play you will see many apps that utilise GPS to produce a very accurate compass readings, BUT only when you are moving, If you are stationary no it cannot .

Greytop

« Reply #27 on: 20:49:56, 13/08/20 »
I'm now confused, the original comment said 'when following a route my triangle on the route continually points north, rather than the direction I am travelling in  

Yes but as I explained in my original post it is annoying rather than a great problem. The triangle still follows the designated route it's just that while doing that the arrow points north. No big deal, just annoying as I said originally. Overall the OS Maps app works very well and well worth the money.  
Why ditch it when everything else works well, especially now I have got the compass working albeit only when I am moving.  

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:54:50, 13/08/20 »

I disagree with gps locked on to satellites, will always be able to know your direction of travel due to your relative movement between the satellites. If you look on google play you will see many apps that utilise GPS to produce a very accurate compass readings, BUT only when you are moving, If you are stationary no it cannot .
That is what I said.  It is not a compass, it is using dead reckoning  to call calculate your course, that is why you have to be moving. Try looking at the compass reading while walking sideways so the phone is at a right angle to your direction of travel.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:55:31, 13/08/20 »

with gps locked on to satellites, will always be able to know your direction of travel due to your relative movement between the satellites.
I believe that was what Ninthace said but I`m sure he will put me right if not .

Its just that a phone needs a magnetometer sensor along with a gyroscopic compass sensor to show direction of travel .The thing I cannot fathom is how a phone that didn`t show direction of travel on the OS mapping app , can then show it , by downloading another app . One cannot download a sensor that does that , one which shows north and direction of travel .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy