Author Topic: Hobbies related to walking...  (Read 2911 times)

KellyLouise

Hobbies related to walking...
« on: 22:46:53, 19/12/07 »
Any1 do anything related to their walking? ive started doing some painting and drawing since first visiting the highlands, and i've also now been to the lakes. The views are so inspiring i cant help but paint them. Not that im too good at it, but its fun for me!  ;D

Any1 else??
"Thus, though we cannot make our sun stand still,
Yet we will make him run!"

www.facebook.com/fromawanderingmind

KellyLouise

Re: Hobbies related to walking...
« Reply #1 on: 22:47:41, 19/12/07 »
a few examples...

KellyLouise

« Reply #2 on: 22:48:45, 19/12/07 »

muymalestado

« Reply #3 on: 08:29:29, 20/12/07 »
Very nice KL.  Your skies are great.  What an interesting way to see and present one's vision when seen as a companion to photos.
I think this next one will be the top ...

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:31:37, 20/12/07 »
I am no painter, but like to take a few snaps along the way. My main honny seems to be post/pre walk watering holes.  ;D

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:09:23, 20/12/07 »
 I used to paint a lot myself but don't seem to get the urge these days.A painting is the expression of the soul,how the innerman views the landscape.When I was nine years old my parents took me to Dovedale and we climbed Thorpe Cloud.The view from the top took my breath away,a panorama of hills unfolding into the distance,with a surreal glow to them.Of course if you took a photo it wouldn't have looked like this at all,just another landscape,but when emotion is added to the visual perception it seems to give a completely different picture.Only that can be expressed in a painting.I like the sky in the first painting,it represents the way you felt about it,like it inspired a sense of awe.

Was the first painting done at Wasdale?

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:55:47, 20/12/07 »
Ace paintings, well done!  O0

Like UKmase, I've found that since taking hiking seriously I've started taking photography more serious as well - well, paying more interest to the composition of pictures anyway.

But also - on a more geekier front - I've found that it's increased my organisations skills as well.  There's nothing more I love doing before a hike then planning the route, learning what I am to expect, doing research, etc - it really adds to it.  ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:32:06, 20/12/07 »
Any1 do anything related to their walking? ive started doing some painting and drawing since first visiting the highlands, and i've also now been to the lakes. The views are so inspiring i cant help but paint them. Not that im too good at it, but its fun for me!  ;D

Any1 else??

Well I guess it's given me a real use for this PC in setting up the website. Also try to take some half decent pictures of where we are walking.
The website in turn as given me quite a few friends on forums and by e_mail.

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

KellyLouise

« Reply #8 on: 21:30:21, 20/12/07 »
I used to paint a lot myself but don't seem to get the urge these days.A painting is the expression of the soul,how the innerman views the landscape.When I was nine years old my parents took me to Dovedale and we climbed Thorpe Cloud.The view from the top took my breath away,a panorama of hills unfolding into the distance,with a surreal glow to them.Of course if you took a photo it wouldn't have looked like this at all,just another landscape,but when emotion is added to the visual perception it seems to give a completely different picture.Only that can be expressed in a painting.I like the sky in the first painting,it represents the way you felt about it,like it inspired a sense of awe.

Was the first painting done at Wasdale?

No, the first was a hidden loch i found around Kingussie in the highlands.

"Of course if you took a photo it wouldn't have looked like this at all,just another landscape,but when emotion is added to the visual perception it seems to give a completely different picture."

I completely agree with that comment. I love to paint landscapes that i discover because they capture the way i am feeling by how i apply the paint, the colours i use ect. The below pic is one that alot of people dont like as it looks a bit 'messy', but its my favorite. To me it captures a beautiful landscape on a very wet day, when i was nearly back at my cottage after a really really long walk, and it couldnt of looked more beautiful.

KellyLouise

« Reply #9 on: 21:31:44, 20/12/07 »
ouch! Bad pic quality! Whoops!  :o

kkm

« Reply #10 on: 22:48:46, 20/12/07 »
i love that picture, even if you say its bad quality......

dont think i have a hobbie related to my walking, well not yet anyway......

although i managed to pass an hour and half today (i was waiting for mr kkm) in our local decathlon store - without buying anything - just browsing for walking stuff...... so maybe thats my new hobby? walking equip window shopping......

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:09:26, 21/12/07 »
I think that pic is really good  O0

Myself i like to do when i am walking....ermm....... Drink drink drink drink (water of course  ;D ;D )

I also love to be miles from anywhere, high up, with snow falling and just drift off... i know i am strange.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

safetyman

« Reply #12 on: 00:21:41, 11/02/08 »
Wish I had an artistic gift, I've always been envious of anybody who can draw/paint etc.

My Hobby related to walking is birding, yes the feathered sort before anyone mentions it (can you guess I suffer for my hobby).

It is starting to get a bit dangerous at times though, the eyes are spending more time scanning the skies than the ground!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"

http://www.lifeofoutdoorpursuits.co.uk [nofollow]

wellerchap

« Reply #13 on: 07:51:28, 11/02/08 »
I too have increased my interest in photography and composition through walking.
It's frustrating to get the pics on the pc though once home to find you very often haven't captured the "spirit of things" you saw, but that odd one or two where it shines through give a marvellous feeling!
I did a painting from a photo in Wasdale...my 10 year old daughter and I had a weekend away in the tent & we walked pretty much to the top of Scafell Pike, before mist turned us back. I painted it mainly to try and capture the memory of some real quality time with my little girl.
I'll bung it on here when I get in from work!

wellerchap

« Reply #14 on: 21:23:51, 11/02/08 »
well, here it is....my effort at oil painting (the first & only time I'd painted in oils). The original photo's below that I worked from.

Looking towards Wasdale Head, with Scafell Pike on the right.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy