Author Topic: Harry's blades!  (Read 735 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Harry's blades!
« on: 13:39:04, 23/09/19 »
I shave every day even when hiking. Razor blades cost a lot of money these days so I wondered if anyone on the forum has ever bought into the Harry's blades idea? Are they as good as Gillette Fusion type blades (the blades I use) and of course do they really work out cheaper by buying them via the Harry's way?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Harry's blades!
« Reply #1 on: 16:47:55, 23/09/19 »
I have tried one of the online blade suppliers - I forget which one. I didn’t find the blades stayed as sharp as the Gillette alternatives, so the quickly started scraping bits off my chin. Therefore, I returned to my previous brand which, although more expensive per blade, probably didn’t work out much more costly due to them lasting longer. I do seem to have particularly abrasive stubble and have never found an effective electric shaver. You might get different results.

PS there is no way I would bother shaving while hiking and camping - too much hassle by half.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:52:46, 23/09/19 »
I shave every day even when hiking. Razor blades cost a lot of money these days so I wondered if anyone on the forum has ever bought into the Harry's blades idea? Are they as good as Gillette Fusion type blades (the blades I use) and of course do they really work out cheaper by buying them via the Harry's way?
  They can be resharpened if you are really keen to save money. https://oureverydaylife.com/how-to-sharpen-gillette-razor-blades-12302669.html
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:00:54, 23/09/19 »
It's my best little ritual of the day. I get up early, (never been able to lie in once I'm awake) usually at dawn and get roughly packed. I then usually walk-on for a couple of hours, find a nice spot and relax for an hour, sometimes more. Not so good when it's raining. I use the time to sort out my rucksack, lay my tent out to let it dry, have a bite to eat and then have a shave and other hygiene routines. When I'm ready, off I go again.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:59:19, 23/09/19 »
Like so many companies now over a wide range of products, the idea is to get people onto a treadmill of regular subscription. I've never tried these blades, but any business model based on subscription for a physical product I avoid like the plague.
For backpacking I use a Wahl rechargeable shaver, the lightest I know of. Not nearly as close as a wet razor but it does a good-enough job on the trail.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:13:01, 23/09/19 »
I’ve tried Harry’s blades. Similar experience to Bigfoot mike. Thought they shaved better than Gillette to start with but were blunt very quickly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy