Author Topic: Taking a drone in the hills  (Read 7097 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Taking a drone in the hills
« Reply #15 on: 19:42:00, 27/03/19 »
Just because a drone is in the air it doesn't necessarily mean it is filming or that the camera is pointing in your direction. It is the same when someone has a camera in their hand. They aren't necessarily taking a photo or pointing it at you.

I haven't got time at the moment to list all of the things that annoy me that other people do when I'm out on a walk  :D

I will be posting a trip report later. Is it being narcissistic making trip reports or having a blog or website? Or even posting photos on here? Should we all give up and not share our happy times when we are out and about?
  As Mrs Ninthace says:  "It's a good job we are not all the same."  I know there are many people that enjoy posting TRs and there are probably more that enjoy reading them.  I neither read nor publish them.  On the other hand, I do put gps traces of routes that I have done on web sites for others to use.  It started as a form of cloud storage before the days when cloud storage was common and it has become a habit  - as well as ameans of earning VR credits.  It is a bit like TRs - it is my way of giving back to an activity I enjoy but anonymously.  I regard walking as a personal activty and nothing out of the ordinary, so there is no reason to routinely share it, though I may report the odd occurrence for the amusement or information for others on the forum
For me TRs are an extended selfie, I am sure people enjoy making them and equally people enjoy reading them but they are just not for me.  I have the same view of blogging.  I know people enjoy doing them and others enjoy reading them but I have trouble understanding why unless the blogger is doing something remarkable and don't get me started on Twitter!
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:00:22, 27/03/19 »

Finally... the trip report bit, my god no, definitely not. Yours and Beefy's TRs and VRs are some of the best things about this entire forum in my opinion!
You can't complain about drones and also like Beefy's VRs it has to be one or the other.

I've never had a problem with drones when walking, if I had perhaps I would feel differently about them.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:37:23, 27/03/19 »
The few I have come accross thus far have all been a sorces of annoyance.  We use them at work for building suveyes.  Perfect for it.  But letting the general public lose with somethng that both, records other's activities, without thought of privacy and makes a right din, is not my idea of a socially viable hobby.

Petrolhead

« Reply #18 on: 21:01:08, 27/03/19 »
You can't complain about drones and also like Beefy's VRs it has to be one or the other.

I've never had a problem with drones when walking, if I had perhaps I would feel differently about them.

Of course I can! Why not?

I really like drone footage. It's amazing to watch. Stuff like this in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfrlcG1PjfE

Why because I dislike the noise and intrusion from them, do I have to dislike the footage that comes out of them? I certainly wouldn't enjoy having a shark near me. I still thoroughly enjoy watching footage of them.

I don't like drones but I've always enjoyed Beefy's and April's reports, including the one from today.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:01:51, 27/03/19 »
I have a drone to check the state of my gutters
Do you live in a house that's at least 150feet from anyone else?
If not you are breaking the law flying it...

Finally... the trip report bit, my god no, definitely not. Yours and Beefy's TRs and VRs are some of the best things about this entire forum in my opinion!
But on this issue I’m with Beefy, used responsibly and legally I have no problem and enjoy, even envy some of the footage I see.
Thanks phil :)

;D

But letting the general public lose with somethng that both, records other's activities, without thought of privacy, is not my idea of a socially viable hobby.
Isn't that what Google is doing to you right now?
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Petrolhead

« Reply #20 on: 21:07:30, 27/03/19 »

Thank YOU. You're welcome fella. You and April have been a source of much inspiration for Mrs PH and I. Her especially. It was looking through April's TRs that persuaded her that it was a good idea for us to drive all that way from London. And it was also thanks to April that we saw a magic sunset from Arnison Crag.

O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:10:56, 27/03/19 »
I certainly wouldn't enjoy having a shark near me. I still thoroughly enjoy watching footage of them.

But you are saying that we shouldn't have underwater cameras but that you like watching shark films.

Petrolhead

« Reply #22 on: 21:17:21, 27/03/19 »
But you are saying that we shouldn't have underwater cameras but that you like watching shark films.

Ridge, not at all mate, I didn't say that.

If I lived underwater and often when I went out to the quiet corners of the ocean someone appeared with an underwater camera that looked for all the world like it was filming me, it made a complete racket, and followed me for three miles, then yep, I'd definitely have an issue with that. I'd expect anyone would.

O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:30:15, 27/03/19 »
Do you live in a house that's at least 150feet from anyone else?
It is not Nov 2019 yet, my drone is only 180gms and I have the permission of both of the owners of the houses within 150 ft and I am not doing it for commercial gain.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:37:38, 27/03/19 »

Ridge, not at all mate, I didn't say that.

If I lived underwater and often when I went out to the quiet corners of the ocean someone appeared with an underwater camera that looked for all the world like it was filming me, it made a complete racket, and followed me for three miles, then yep, I'd definitely have an issue with that. I'd expect anyone would.

O0
You don't like drones filming but like to watch drone films.

Your shark analogy is that you like seeing films about hills but wouldn't want to be near one.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 05:47:48, 28/03/19 »
You don't like drones filming but like to watch drone films.

Your shark analogy is that you like seeing films about hills but wouldn't want to be near one.

I think it is relevant is whether the films are made with care and sensitivity and minimise disturbance for other users of the countryside.

On the “shark analogy”...few, if any people, would support film makers that damage or disturb the environment they are filming.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:11:54, 28/03/19 »
Our wild areas are somewhere we can escape the pressures and noise of modern life. While drones might bring some enjoyment to the users, they definitely detract from the peace that many of us seek. It is important that we don’t negatively affect others when enjoying ourselves. I know from direct experience that drones can be heard from much further away than 150 feet and they are extremely annoying for many countryside users. I have also seen riders on trail bikes on Cnicht and rowdy groups with 6 packs (of beer, not due to exercise) who invariably leave their rubbish on the hill. In each case the people concerned can claim that they are just enjoying themselves, but every time something like this happens it makes it so much less enjoyable for so many others.

As a footnote, although it may be legal photograph people on public land, if you use pictures of someone for a commercial purpose, you do need explicit permission to use their likeness. So, if you have a blog that has adverts, you may be liable to be sued if you use photos of others in this way without permission. The same applies if you anger a picture in a photo competition that has a prize. Many such competitions have explicit rules requiring entrants to obtain model release and place all liability on the photographer.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:32:34, 28/03/19 »
Where is everyone going where you encounter all these drones?

I can't remember hearing or seeing one (except beefy's) in the past year at least.

Our wild areas are somewhere we can escape the pressures and noise of modern life. While drones might bring some enjoyment to the users, they definitely detract from the peace that many of us seek. It is important that we don’t negatively affect others when enjoying ourselves.

If the word drones was replaced with "shouting" I totally agree with this sentence. I have to endure people shouting at each other nearly every time I'm out in the hills. Sometimes you can't actually see them at first and we can't believe how far they are away from us that we can hear them!

I have also seen riders on trail bikes on Cnicht and rowdy groups with 6 packs (of beer, not due to exercise) who invariably leave their rubbish on the hill. In each case the people concerned can claim that they are just enjoying themselves, but every time something like this happens it makes it so much less enjoyable for so many others.

I don't think you can compare somebody flying a drone to somebody leaving their rubbish on a hill! We all probably do something when we are out that annoys or spoils others' enjoyment, people are just unaware that they are annoying someone else.
Hate will never win

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:34:31, 28/03/19 »
And as a little more balance, in the last say five years I have come across people using a drone three times. I walk every weekend and during the week when on holiday from work, mainly in the Brecon Beacons, Mid Wales plus we have three or four long weekends in Snowdonia each year, we see four leaf clovers more often. To the OP who asked the question I would just say make your own mind up, used responsibly I can’t see the issue, but obviously not everyone will agree, welcome to the forum.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:11:01, 28/03/19 »
I have also seen riders on trail bikes on Cnicht and rowdy groups with 6 packs (of beer, not due to exercise) who invariably leave their rubbish on the hill. In each case the people concerned can claim that they are just enjoying themselves, but every time something like this happens it makes it so much less enjoyable for so many others.

If you watched my videos you would know that both April and myself are passionate about the great outdoors and we operate a leave no trace policy, we take only pictures, leave only footprints, and kill only time, we even pick up other people’s rubbish, and we cannot be compared to these people, we gave up a day of our time to attend the zipoff protest along with pdstsp, who is also passionate about the Lake District
As said before, I’m always sensitive towards other people, and animals, and treat everyone with respect, I usually only fly my drone when we are wild camping, when everyone else has gone home, and I avoid flying when others are around, I find most people are curious about the drone and ask questions and I’ve never once had anyone complain about it,
 Where are you people going with all these drones flying?
We’ve spent the last 5 years in the Lake District every weekend nearly,
I’ve only seen 1 drone, and heard 2

On a side note
We are being filmed without our consent all the time
On streets, in shops, on buses and trains, car dash cams, cyclists even wear cameras, and people wear body cams, and our every move is being tracked if we carry a mobile phone, every thing you type in google is being recorded, and every web page you visit is recorded.
To suggest that we are anything like these people is outrageous

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy