Author Topic: Shropshire Way  (Read 2076 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Shropshire Way
« on: 13:42:13, 19/10/19 »
I am thinking about walking the c. 200 mile Shropshire Way next year.  Has anyone walked it all and could let me know their view of the walk and availability of accommodation.  I have already walked a small part of it on my Lejog and also viewed the Shropshire Way Association website.  Thanks

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Shropshire Way
« Reply #1 on: 09:56:02, 23/10/19 »
Sorry to see that you are not getting any response to this topic. I am a Salopian born and bred, proud of the county I live in, unfortunately I have never walked the Shropshire Way as along distance walk, so not able to help from the perspective of a visitor. I do know the terrain pretty well, at some time or another both as a countryman and as a walker and will follow your progress with interest.

The SW will take you through some lovely countryside and if you believe the marketing blurb, the best the county has to offer. Sadly the SW is the product of the Corruption of the Definitive Map, a route created out of the footpaths that got onto that official document and trying it's best to make a way around without being forced off onto the highway network. It however does not reflect the hospitality of true Salopians, whom, I hope you will meet and help you on your way.

You should look at the Wilderhope Manor Hostel as a place to stay on the Wenlock Edge section, it is a fairly unique experience and perhaps worth sacrificing the fleshpots of Much Wenlock or Craven Arms for. Should your daily distance traveled make this a dilemma.

If anything else comes to mind I'll add it here  :)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:38:20, 23/10/19 »
Thanks for your comments. Having walked a number of the "long" LDPs (i.e. over 200 miles) this seems to fit what I am looking for.  I enjoyed the bit I did on my Lejog so I will start planning the walk/accommodation over the winter and finally decide in the New Year.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:44:02, 23/10/19 »
I shall try to keep up with your progress, over 15 years of participating on walking forums I think you are the second person to set out to walk the SW, which does not say much for its popularity as a LDP, although it is obviously popular as a focus for parts of local walks. The recent initiative to add spurs I think a marketing disaster as it takes away the focus of a continuous way and trying to wrap up all the routes worthy of promotion under one name compounds this error.
Should you choose to publish a TR I think you will be out on your own with a blank canvas.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:31:06, 26/10/19 »
Perhaps things are looking up for the Shropshire Way as Cicerone have just announced that a new guidebook has been published - perhaps a few more will now decide to try it out.

ron6632

« Reply #5 on: 07:54:30, 03/11/19 »
While I know very little about it, I remember chatting to a gentleman while walking Offa’s Dyke, who was walking it.  He spoke extremely highly of it as a route     

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy