Author Topic: Do you listen to music whist walking?  (Read 2302 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Do you listen to music whist walking?
« Reply #15 on: 16:45:36, 04/05/20 »
Not for me you might as well be in gym on a treadmill
I never listen to music on a treadmill either!  8)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:52:16, 04/05/20 »
You could put the treadmill in front of the TV and get rid of the 3 piece suite, then put a David Attenborough on and you could walk the world!  You could even pack a lunch, put it in your backpack and make a day of it. ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:19:33, 04/05/20 »
Why ruin a walk?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

« Reply #18 on: 17:41:15, 04/05/20 »
Never

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:09:44, 04/05/20 »
I do sometimes, especially when on a multi-day hike, I like music that matches the hiking rhythm, like Respect by Aretha Franklin, can be very useful when plodding uphill! When at home, rarely ever listen to music, prefer R4.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:21:21, 04/05/20 »
I don't. 

If I'm in an urban area I like to be aware of speeding traffic or potential muggers.  If I'm out in the countryside I like to be aware of the birds, the wind, the bumblebees and the rustlings in trees and undergrowth that usually mean there's a critter to spot.

strawy

« Reply #21 on: 01:09:19, 06/05/20 »
Never before,but today i did,probably starting to crack up,doubt i,ll do it if/when i get out in the "open"..
Not too bad an experience,felt like i should be running tho  ::)

Toxicbunny

« Reply #22 on: 20:36:45, 06/05/20 »
Never. I like to hear whats around me. I sometimes walk on my own with just my dog. As a lone woman up on the moors I like to be aware of things around me plus we have a lot of speeding mountain bikers that come up from behind.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:05:18, 07/05/20 »
we have a lot of speeding mountain bikers that come up from behind.
Yes, when will they realise that it can be quite startling.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 07:16:55, 07/05/20 »
No nothing man made if possible..yesterday on my walk it was running water, rustling leaves in the wind, birdsong, lambs and a pheasant that shook me, as it smashed its way out of the hedgerow..as they do :)

Talking of which. I remember a stag, which I had startled, come charging out of copse , scaring me witless.
A moment before I had been walking along without a care in the world. It is amazes me, the noise animals can make when frightened  ??? :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #25 on: 20:16:57, 10/05/20 »

Talking of which. I remember a stag, which I had startled, come charging out of copse , scaring me witless.
A moment before I had been walking along without a care in the world. It is amazes me, the noise animals can make when frightened  ??? :)
I've had a few red stags jump out in front of me just missing me they are a hell of a size that close up .

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:00:58, 11/05/20 »
I've had a few red stags jump out in front of me just missing me they are a hell of a size that close up .
So true.! I usually view them at a distance so close up they come as a bit of a shock . The one I mentioned also lunged at a fence with wire (thankfully not barbed) & bounced off that. I thought my end had come. It was such a commotion for ten seconds or so.  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:09:25, 11/05/20 »
No.

And I can't see the point in cutting out part of the sensory experience of walking - the sounds of the countryside or the quiet being as integral to the enjoyment of a walk as the sights, smells, discovery and exercise.

Sometimes, I catch myself making up tunes or "thinking" a song in my head, but I find pretty much most extraneous noise (eg: trial bike or off-roader engines) to be a complete PITA.  >:( ;D

GP

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:22:11, 11/05/20 »

They are a size are they not.  Many many years ago. I was cycling the road from Bonon Bridge to Kincardin, on a foggy night. heading for John O Groats.  Whizzing down hill I suddenly realised there was a huge figure stood in the road ahead and locked up my brakes trying to stop.  There it was towering above my meagre 6ft 4in frame, challenging myself and my two mates to dare pass by. Magnificent creatures. O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:58:01, 11/05/20 »
I was once faced down by a one antlered stag at Loch Muick. I had gone there for an early evening walk after work. The place was deserted, except for several hundred red deer who made quite a noise chomping  through the vegetation. This stag stood his ground on the path and fixed his gaze on me. I stood still and looked at him. Eventually, the stag backed down and walked off allowing me to continue on my way.

The Balmoral estate supplements the feeding of the deer in the winter, so they are more used to humans than normal. In the winter I have seen deer coming up to car windows to beg for food, much as sheep do in the Lake District.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy