Author Topic: [TR] - Forum Meet - The 'Matlock Meander'  (Read 6569 times)

joester

• Veteran Member
[TR] - Forum Meet - The 'Matlock Meander'
« on: 14:06:44, 08/07/12 »
Yesterday, Peakbagger, Abs and myself met-up to dodge the rain and walk a variation of the 'Matlock Meander' walk that I concocted last year.

And ok, it's not strictly in the Peak District, but that shouldn't be held against it.

It's a challenging route that aims to take in as many of the local places of interest in the Matlock/Cromford part of the Derwent Valley as possible.
This variant clocked up about 18 miles and something a little more that 2500 ft of ascent.

Some piccies:

Approaching Crich:

The route begins in Whatstandwell and goes by the side of Cromford Canal for a short while before ascending the hillside up to Crich.

Crich Tramway Museum ("I went with me friend called Ian, we were there from 9 'til chucking-out time, cos there was so much worth seein' "):

Crich Stand Memoral Tower:

I was hungry by this point, as I'd not had much breakfast, the tearoom was open, but also completely deserted.  We rang the bell and stood there for a bit before giving up and continuing.

The tower was closed, normally one can pay 10 pence to ascend it up to the small viewing area at the top.

We now scrubbed-off all the height we had gained to drop back to the canal further along.

Entering the Cromford Canal tunnel at Gregory Dam:

Off the canal near High Peak Junction, the route ascends again up Hearthstone Lane towards Riber.

Horses and heavy sky near Riber:

Riber Castle:

Looking down on Matlock from Riber Castle:

Dropping into Matlock, the route takes in the 'hidden gem' of Lumsdale.

Lumsdale Waterfalls:

It was also time to finally address my rumbling belly, with what has now become a tradition for this walk.
Chips in Matlock Park:

Through Matlock Park and by the side of the River Derwent (brown with run-off water and in full spate), and then climbing again through the High Tor Grounds to the top of the huge limestone face.

Off the edge of High Tor:

Joester and Abs on High Tor:

Abs on the Giddy Edge path ('Victorian via ferrata'):

Matlock Bath in the sunshine:

The route now climbs for the last time, leaving Matlock Bath up cobbled paths and winding lanes up the hillside of Masson.

A lead mine/cave on Masson Hill:

Peakbagger exploring the mine:

The mine goes back some 50 metres or so.  Within, we could see where the miners had followed the seams of galena in different directions.  There were also bands of blue john in there.

The route drops off Masson hillside through the woods to emerge onto the Scarthin in Cromford.  From here we went down past Cromford Mills back to the canal (for an ice cream).

Rain on its way on Cromford Canal:

3 Miles to get back to the cars:

The heavens opened just as we approached the car park.  By the time we were driving away it was torrential, what good timing!  I really felt like we had stolen a fine day's walking from the weather gods.

You'll have to join us again next year everyone!
solvitur ambulando

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] - Forum Meet - The 'Matlock Meander'
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:42, 08/07/12 »
Excellent trip report and photo's from a real diamond of a walk. I would probably never have thought of visiting this area myself so a big thank you to joester for putting this meet up. It's nice to go for a walk once in a while where I don't need to worry about navigation, especially when the person leading it has such an indepth knowledge of the area. And what a variety of different things to see! From stunning  views, spectacular waterfalls, a precipice walk and even a little mine exploration. I think you can tell I was really impressed by this walk! ;) Even the weather held out for us. The rain only started when we had just 3 miles or so of canalside walking left, and mercifully the tree cover meant we stayed pretty much dry without the need for waterproofs.

Once again a big thank you to joester and Abs for this walk. Hopefully you'll get a bit more interest from other members of the forum if you do a repeat of this next year. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:42:29, 08/07/12 »
Great trip report Joester, glad the weather held out for you.  I'd be interested next year when I'm fitter :)
Sparklebug aka Theresa

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:43:31, 08/07/12 »
Enjoyed that. Looks a good and varied place.
Cheers  O0

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:10:37, 08/07/12 »
Thanks for posting up some great photos. Its a great area to walk, coz its generally quieter than the Peaks, but just as lovely. And I've sat on that very bench & had chips. Wish I could've come, but managed to find a bit of Summer in the Yorkshire Wolds, next time I'll try & make it.
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:19:04, 08/07/12 »
Excellent Joe! O0  Glad you all had a good day!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:45:40, 08/07/12 »
I ain't got up to 18 miles in a day yet, but this looks brilliant.  Will keep an eye out for next years one, you never know, I might be up to it.    :D :D ;)  Thanks for the pics and the storytelling.  Class!  O0 O0

WendyWozEre

« Reply #7 on: 21:49:43, 08/07/12 »
Not sure i could cope with 18 miles either, but it does look lovely!

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:03:33, 11/07/12 »
Cool report Joe, glad you had a good day O0   - kids not fancy it?
roll on the weekend

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 09:41:35, 11/07/12 »
Excellent trip report joe. Really interesting. You really crammed a lot into one day. Cheers for that.  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:46:32, 11/07/12 »
Great TR and super photos.    O0

I would love to have joined you, but work got in the way...    :(

On a footnote, I remember Riber Castle when it had a zoo, I'll say (tongue in cheek) a few years ago...     :-[

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:52:55, 11/07/12 »
On a footnote, I remember Riber Castle when it had a zoo, I'll say (tongue in cheek) a few years ago...     :-[

Don't worry, I do too. 
I was telling Peakbagger how scabby it was. 
The animal rights people used to go and let all the animals out, it took them ages to catch all the wild boars in the woods nearby.  I'm sure I saw one in a Matlock pub recently.
solvitur ambulando

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:06:53, 11/07/12 »

Don't worry, I do too.
I was telling Peakbagger how scabby it was.
The animal rights people used to go and let all the animals out, it took them ages to catch all the wild boars in the woods nearby. I'm sure I saw one in a Matlock pub recently.

There have been quite a few sightings of wild boar around the country in general.

I vaguely recell Riber Castle Zoo being a bit shabby, but I was only a mere youngster at the time.

As for Crich Tram Museum, I too could spend all day there, plus....  O0

They have some very good themed weekends, well worth a visit if the chance ever arises.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:11:51, 11/07/12 »
I was almost tempted to do a day and join you for this one but I wasn't sure I'd keep up with you three on an 18 miler.

Looks a great walk though Joe.  Hopefully I can make next year if you do it again  ;)

Nice to you and Abs walking and not running for a change  ;)

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:00:15, 13/07/12 »
Really enjoyed reading that Joe, I certainly would have joined you if my work commitments allowed. You were so lucky with the weather. Next time hopefully I will join you, I will keep my eyes out for the next one.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy