Author Topic: Two more walkers in trouble in the Peak District  (Read 6461 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Two more walkers in trouble in the Peak District
« Reply #30 on: 17:24:52, 16/07/13 »
I need hat, cause Ive got an exposed area right on top of my head, that gets rather hot without one. Also the peak on a cap can be rotated around to provide shade to the neck. They are also good for scooping up water at streams and then placing straight away on the head for a quick cool down. However I try and get away without wearing one for as long as possible.
I am an ex regular with 9 years service and can't help thinking that this tragedy was in some part at least caused by the eagerness to get through the selection, at all costs. Those that put themselves forward for the SAS are keen in the extreme, it is their ambition, something that is the pinnacle of their hopes and dreams and they are going to give it their all to get through selection, unfortunately these guys ended up doing just that.

Mikeyboy

« Reply #31 on: 17:46:20, 16/07/13 »
It's easy done this weather - it looks great for a walk but sometimes best avoided.

I pulled out of going to Wales this weekend - I wasn't 100% fit and knew the heat would get to me plus I'd not been sleeping too well for a few nights leading up to the weekend so would quickly run out of steam even if I felt ok.

If the guy was doing the Pennine way - he had probably been doing it a few days & not getting enough sleep at night. the Heat gradually wears you down mentally and physically. 

Rambler

« Reply #32 on: 18:15:29, 16/07/13 »
I need hat, cause Ive got an exposed area right on top of my head, that gets rather hot without one. Also the peak on a cap can be rotated around to provide shade to the neck. They are also good for scooping up water at streams and then placing straight away on the head for a quick cool down. However I try and get away without wearing one for as long as possible.
I am an ex regular with 9 years service and can't help thinking that this tragedy was in some part at least caused by the eagerness to get through the selection, at all costs. Those that put themselves forward for the SAS are keen in the extreme, it is their ambition, something that is the pinnacle of their hopes and dreams and they are going to give it their all to get through selection, unfortunately these guys ended up doing just that.
No disrespect to your experience or training Slogger but if if you put a hat on after standing it without one for as long as possible, it's already to late. It's all about prevention and the armed forces teach (or should be) everyone this as basic survival requirements. The case with the squaddies on selection was totally avoidable.

Rambler

« Reply #33 on: 18:18:51, 16/07/13 »
I think the general advice would be - 'wear a suitable hat in hot, sunny weather' (as indicated practically everywhere offering advice about avoiding heat stroke), not - 'chose whether to wear a hat in hot, sunny weather based on the fact that some people never do with seemingly no ill effects'.
In a nutshell, thanks joester.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:25:54, 16/07/13 »
Sorry, can't see the point of trying to prove that it is possible to take risks and get away with it.  In this sort of excessive heat I adapt the route to avoid long slogs uphill.  I have a superb hat with brim and neck cover I bought at Decathlon in Gap, in France. Where the Tour de France finished today.  Plus appropriate level of sun glasses.  I remember once some years ago setting out from a refuge on the Haute Route (not the walking version) and finding I had somehow lost my cap.   I tied a spare shirt over my head.  As to the Beacons deaths, the response on tv from some exmilitary types was pathetic.  The guys weren't being tested to destruction.  They were TA, probably not experienced those conditions before, should have been given guidance.  Were they even given extra water?   Indeed, I would have thought the conditions were so extreme that the loads should have been lightened to reduce the test level to equal that in ordinary conditions.  Their instructors failed in their duty of care - still appropriate even in the army.

Rambler

« Reply #35 on: 18:30:06, 16/07/13 »
Sorry, can't see the point of trying to prove that it is possible to take risks and get away with it.  In this sort of excessive heat I adapt the route to avoid long slogs uphill.  I have a superb hat with brim and neck cover I bought at Decathlon in Gap, in France. Where the Tour de France finished today.  Plus appropriate level of sun glasses.  I remember once some years ago setting out from a refuge on the Haute Route (not the walking version) and finding I had somehow lost my cap.   I tied a spare shirt over my head.  As to the Beacons deaths, the response on tv from some exmilitary types was pathetic.  The guys weren't being tested to destruction.  They were TA, probably not experienced those conditions before, should have been given guidance.  Were they even given extra water?   Indeed, I would have thought the conditions were so extreme that the loads should have been lightened to reduce the test level to equal that in ordinary conditions.  Their instructors failed in their duty of care - still appropriate even in the army.
Well put altirando, If I was as to the point as yourself and joester I would have saved myself a lot of infuriating arguing.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:02:47, 16/07/13 »
No disrespect to your experience or training Slogger but if if you put a hat on after standing it without one for as long as possible, it's already to late. It's all about prevention and the armed forces teach (or should be) everyone this as basic survival requirements. The case with the squaddies on selection was totally avoidable.

Yeah, I agree with that. Just to add, I do protect that vulnerable area atop my head (as well as other ex[posed areas) with plenty of sun block, the hat is more for shade than anything.
My mate worked in the building trade all his working life, much of it involving roofing work, so outdoors. For the last 5 years he has been having cancerous lumps removed from his thinning scalp. He has been told that he must wear a UV protection hat when outdoors now at the first sign of the sun coming out.

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 23:43:29, 16/07/13 »
Do you think eating ready salted crisps and using the empty packet as a hat would have any merit?
Get Big Picture

Steve 79

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 23:49:41, 16/07/13 »
wanted to walk Bleaklow during the daytime last weekend with the dogs...we live close and barely get the chance in clear blue skies

in the end, we didn't leave home until 4.30 on sunday afternoon, very quick train to Glossop and then walked Bleaklow, Via Doctors Gate and came out on the Torside Reservoirs and walked back home, was pretty much dark when we got home but were well off the peaks before the sun started going down.

Our pace dropped loads, we normally hike at well over 3.5 mph but we did little over 2...lots of short breaks, our rucksacks were full of water and we refilled waterbottles for the dogs at every stream after letting them swin to cool down.

didn't see may people out as it was late but a few we did see were well...not exactly equipped

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:26:32, 17/07/13 »
I am fair skinned (have been all my life!) and bald (have been for most of my life!) and have learnt through experience what happens when I go out in the sun without sunscreen, a hat and, if walking, a raft of other precautions as well (like water and rehydration salts). To me it just makes sense - I'd rather be comfortable and safe!

I know some are happy to wander in temperatures like we have been experiencing without a hat or sunscreen - that is up to them. But each individual is different.

Also, pretty much everyone is in agreement that too much exposure to the sun's rays and heat is dangerous: it damages the skin, causes it premature aging, brings on sunstroke or heatstroke, and can lead to skin cancer. And it may take years or decades to manifest the problems.

Everyone has their own limit, but I don't want to find out where mine was the hard way!  O0

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:42:01, 17/07/13 »
Do you think eating ready salted crisps and using the empty packet as a hat would have any merit?

only if they're Walkers.

...I'll get me coat.  :-[

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 15:40:36, 17/07/13 »
 ... and don't forget your hat  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 19:23:54, 17/07/13 »

only if they're Walkers.

...I'll get me coat.  :-[
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy