Author Topic: TR: Peaks Meet - 3 Shire Heads, Lud's Church, The Roaches  (Read 7599 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
The time had come, the Peaks Meet was here, and Friday saw me setting off for Upper Hulme bang on rush hour traffic.  The weather deteriorated as I headed down the Country and I finally arrived at The Roaches Bunkhouse at about 7.30pm where I found alewife rustling up a cuppa having got there only about 30 minutes earlier.  The weather was, by now, complete and utter tosh – flinging it down with a mixture of rain and sleet.  

We both explored the bunkhouse a little and decided to get unpacked and head to Ye Olde Rock Inn for a meal and a few drinks.  A couple of Lasagnes and some falling-down-water later we headed back to the bunkhouse and wished we’d lit the fire before going out ‘cos it was bluddi freezing.   

Seeing as we were the only ones in the bunkhouse, I moved out of my not really very luxurious 2 bedded room with no window into a 4 bedded room with a wider bunk and a window and settled down for the night, listening to the rain absolutely lashing down on the plastic roof and hoping that it might rain itself out overnight.  

Saturday morning saw me up bright and early and, wahooooo, it was sunny.  A quick cuppa and dressed and I was out of that door and up the road for a little mooch and snapped this pic of Hen Cloud looking splendid for one of my “ahh, what’s your view like today?” posts on Facebook:  

Deb was up and about when I got back and we pottered around a bit, getting sorted for the meet.   

Requiem was the first to turn up, closely followed by Domtheone and Handsome Jack who had been chauffeured there by Rhino.  We all tried to get our heads around the walk being a linear walk and how the car-shuffling would work.  In the end, we all piled into Requiem’s (dog friendly) car for a short journey up to   Flash – the highest village in England at 1,518ft , for the start of the walk.  Booted up and ready to go I took the mandatory “start of walk photo” with our end destination in the background…. A lonnng way away in the background:  

L-R: Handsome Jack showing his best side, Rhino, Alewife, Domtheone, Requiem, me:  

We headed off up the lane for a gentle leg stretch before the start of the up, down, up, down, up downupdownupdownup return to the bunkhouse.  After a row of houses we took a right turn up a track and wound round the side of some houses to a very brightly yellow painted gate and signpost.  

And so the mud started.  We squelched along the flanks of Oliver Hill, then squelched down Wolf Edge.  It was very considerate mud.  It stuck to your boots then got washed off again in the really boggy stuff.  A nice view though from the side of Oliver Hill:  

A random rocky outcrop which needed bagging by Requiem:  

I think we were all fairly relieved to reach the road at Knotbury (no mud) and enjoyed a bit of easy walking along a quiet country lane and spotting this fine looking chap in someone’s garden:  

We headed towards Panniers Pool aka   Three Shire Heads , where the Counties of Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Cheshire all meet on the River Dane.  We spent a bit of time here poking around and taking pics and I made sure I bagged all three Counties for my County-Bagging project.  I think Requiem might have taken a few pics  ::)  of this area so I’ll post only one:  

From here, we pootled along the curiously red sandstone track of the   Dane Valley Way :  

Some more nice, wide open spaces type views:  

We were so lucky with the weather so far – it hadn’t rained once, in fact, it had been quite pleasant with rolling sunshine and fluffy clouds dappling the hillsides, though the wind was a bit chilly.  A far cry though from the forecast of low cloud and snow showers.  

A quick snack stop out of the wind:  

And on we toddled towards Gradbach, and more mud (deep joy  :'( ):  

As we crossed grazing pastures the mud got mean and Alewife went floor-surfing at one point which spooked these horses:  

We came across the biggest pile of horse [censored] ever … take note… it may not be the last time you see this pic (just sayin’  ;)  ) :  

And then followed the river towards Lud’s Church with “skinny folks only” squeeze stiles  >:( .  I gave up and walked along the road in the end.  

Following the river:  

At Gradbach we discovered the Youth Hostel was no more and the area had been somewhat newly re-vamped with a brand-spanking-new tarmac road and walls and this curious seat-cum-watering hole:  

We found some picnic benches by the river and sat a little while in the sunshine before heading to Forest Wood where my signpost OCD got the better of me:  

Nice mossy, gnarly tree, complete with elf (look carefully ):  

A little further on Rhino gave in to his scrambling tendencies and bagged this rocky outcrop:  

Dom looking for Welsh Mountains:  

After a stiff (for me) climb through more mud we came to the entrance of   Lud’s Church :  

Once again, pictures don’t really give the scale of this wonderful, earthy chasm, even with a Rhino and a Dom in it:  

… or with a Handsome Jack and Alewife in it:  

I was expecting a bit of a scramble out of here to be honest but it wasn’t.  Steep steps made the going easy, though the couple with the young puppy probably should have chosen an easier walk for the poor little thing  :(  

Once out of Lud’s Church we squelched through the forest, glad of the occasional boardwalk which made the going a little easier – only a little mindst.  Requiem, the chap with the local knowledge suggested we could head up the concessionary path to higher ground as the lower route through the forest was “probably going to be very muddy”.  I don’t think any of us wanted to argue with that decision so we burst out of the forest and into scorchio sunshine which had us stripping off our jackets, only to be putting them on again once we reached the top.  

But ohhhhh, what views:  

Once on the top we had another snack stop and I snapped this pic of everyone in the glorious sunshine whilst a snow storm was passing along the valley behind:  

Cont'd.....

Mel

• Veteran Member
A little further on and the sun had gone in but we were still managing to avoid the snow which was being funnelled down the valley:  

We’re in the gloom now but Shuttlingsloe is bathed in glorious sunshine:  

I had a quick reminisce about a previous meet which snakehips led where we bagged Shutlingsloe in hideous weather with zero views from the top, and, just as an aside, we bumped into George Osborne on that walk too.  Anyway, I digress…  

Anyway, once again in beautiful sunshine, we were reliably informed there’s an ice cream van on the road at Roach End …. And so there was!  Yet another snack stop to devour ice creams and fortify ourselves for the climb up onto the Roaches “proper”.  I have to confess, I was starting to flag now and my ankle and hip were giving me some gyp. I don’t think I mentioned it much though  ;D  

The easy, slabbed path up onto   The Roaches :  

I’m just going to post a few pics now of all the wonderful, toothy, bobbly, rocky outcrops along the Roaches, I don’t think any of them have names:  

Having avoided the worst of the weather, in fact, we were darned lucky, our luck ran out and we were finally treated to a short, sharp blast or two of tiny bullet-like polystyrene snow:  

Alewife and Requiem with Doxey Pool in the background:  

Tittesworth Reservoir:  

Doxey Pool :  

The sun catching Hen Cloud:  

The sun catching Ramshaw Rocks:  

The original plan was to possibly bag Hen Cloud as well but we decided to turn off and head down the quarries instead as it was getting on a bit and I was in considerable pain now.   

Heading down through the woodland I spotted some fab green, lumpy stumps:  

As we got onto the road for the final leg back to the bunkhouse we were treated to some fabulous views behind us of the Roaches and also Rockhall, the climbing hut:  

Hen Cloud from below:  

I think Rhino got a better pic of that and we re-named it Mount RushLess.  

After about a mile of road walking, passing lots of flagging DofE-ers looking worn out and fed up, we arrived at the bunkhouse and made arrangements for Requiem to be given a lift back to his car … only …. he had to get there then come back again cos Alewife had left her shoes in his car!  

This walk ticked pretty much every “must have” box for a walk for me – woodland, rivers, valleys, high up views, much better than expected weather, and, of course, good company (sick bucket anyone?  :D )  

Great to meet you Rhino and Requiem and to meet you again Dom.  Awww, and not forgetting Handsome Jack… he’s lovely  :smitten:  

After everyone had left, me and Alewife headed to the pub for a giant plateful of food and a couple of glasses of purely medicinal liquid anaesthetic.  There was a slightly scary moment when we were told they’d stopped serving food but took pity on our crestfallen wails of disappointment and took our orders (hooooraaaaaaaahhhhhh).  

The walk turned out to be 10 miles with lots of ups and downs… and mud.  

A great day’s walking and I hope everyone enjoyed it.  

Thanks for reading  :)  

Mel

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Briliant Mel, I just tuned in and here it was - I had it all to myself.
I needn't have asked Rhino what he'd been up to if I'd waited a little longer.   
Sounds like a really good day & trip (the bunkhouse bit).
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed your entertaining TR, Mel    :)   Looks like everyone had a good day    :)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Excellent write up of a great days walking, and some nice piccies (luckily not one of me hitting the deck). I think we did name one of the rocky outcrops domtherock; or maybe I imagined that :-\

I have some piccies but might see what the other guys put up before I post them, as theirs are probably better than mine.

Also to add that the hostel was pretty toasty when we got back, in case anyones thinking of using it sometime.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

jontea

• Veteran Member
Great trip report Mel, loved the photos, especially the tree with the Dom like elf next to it ;D

And you say you had mud in the Peak District ?  :o

Thanks for giving us a write up of what looked a smashin day Mel  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

domtheone

• Veteran Member
especially the tree with the Dom like elf next to it ;D

:o ;D

Nice TR Mel. O0  Very entertaining read :)

Was a lovely day. 

Great walking across the roaches with the fab views and weird and wonderful rock formations.

Kind of reminded me of being up Kinder.

Will see if I can add a few pics but it'll be at the end of the week as busy moving house /trip away over the next several days.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Requiem

• Veteran Member
Heres a big squodge of pics from me too.. sorry theres a lot but I took some crackers (modest?)

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Requiem

• Veteran Member
Evidence of the reprobates I was on the walk with.. :D

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Rhino

• Veteran Member
 ;D  made me smile reading the TR and looking at the pics and chuckle and laugh  ;D
And laugh again  ;D  and chuckle   ;D

Was a great day out with lots of funny moments and laughs and a great walk with great people  ;D  I was expecting a church at Luds Church  :D  didnt know it was the wonderful place i had seen on a few TR's on here so was very pleased when we got there  O0

Cant believe nobody got a pic of Debs covered in mud, think we were genuinly concerned for her knee so our minds were taken off taking a picture for 30 seconds until we all started laughing when we knew she was ok  ;D

Really enjoyed the walk and meeting Mel and Roy for the first time and catching up with Debs and Dom and the conversation throughout the day with everyone which made for a very special day out in a very scenic part of the Peaks  :)

BTW Roy told me to stick my finger up for the picture so dont think i was being rude  ;D  some kind of tradition he said

Some fantastic pictures from Mel and Roy capturing the views, ill put a couple up later as well.

Handsome Jack had a great day, he slept all way home and limped out of the car and into the house onto his bed  :)

Cant remember Mel mentioning her ankle and hip though   :-X

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: Peaks Meet - 3 Shire Heads, Lud's Church, The Roaches
« Reply #10 on: 08:29:59, 19/04/16 »
Sssh! I Tthink Mel took one of my muddy derriere but I think shes forgotten it.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:42:58, 19/04/16 »
Nice pics O0
Brings back memories.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

GazzerG

« Reply #12 on: 10:56:18, 19/04/16 »
Excellent TR and pics Mel and all..
I can certainly vouch for how muddy the forest can be, it seemed that they only planted the boardwalks where it was dry when I visited  ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:21:40, 20/04/16 »
Brilliant pics Requiem  O0   Love the first one with the sheep  :)   you definitely got lots of moody skies to snap away at!

Thanks IM, Dovegirl and pleb..  It really was a lovely walk in much better than forecast/expected weather  O0

Haha jontea, the Dom elf.  I never realised he was in the pic until I got them onto my computer  :D

I have to back alewife up re. the bunkhouse.  It really was quite cozy when we got back after the walk- with the fire going and that pipe blowing warm air around the place.  Certainly not a bad place for a tenner a night with a decent pub very nearby.  Oh, and .....

:D

Hope you can get some pics on Dom when you have time. Good luck though with the move and enjoy your trip  O0

Cheers Rhino.  Looking forward to seeing some pics from you as well  :)   Glad you enjoyed the day and I hope Handsome Jack has recovered now.

Yep, GazzerG.  I think you're right about the boardwalks being on the dry bits in that forest  ;D

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:04:26, 21/04/16 »
Oh sorry I couldn't join you 😞

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy