Author Topic: " Trip Report" The Kinder Round  (Read 6299 times)

radder

• Veteran Member
" Trip Report" The Kinder Round
« on: 23:16:09, 10/05/09 »
Saturday 9th May 2009.

Distance - 18.5 Miles

Total Ascent - 4330 feet

Time - 7 hours 13 Minutes.

Well what can you say about the Kinder Round, Arguably the best walk that Kinder Scout has to offer as you get to see all of it in one walk. If you decide you want to do this walk be warned it's a very tough walk and will have stiff legs at the end.
Im one of these people that hates getting up at weekends, When I've been at work all week the last thing on my mind is to get up at the crack of dawn.
A facebook buddy of mine that on this forum sent me a picture last week of a shot of Kinder Reservoir he took early last december with the hills reflecting in the water and a vale of mist just above the water, The picture was nothing short of stunning, and remarked that I never take photos like that because I can never get out of bed.
So with looking at the mountain weather forcast it gave a sunny start clouding over in the afternoon, so what better way than to set the alarm and try and catch a sunrise on Kinders plateau.
Setting the alarm for 3.30AM was very painful but what I witnessed that morning was absolutely fabulous the clarity was amazing.
So with boots on left Edale in the dark at 5.00am as I made my way up Gringsbrook Clough.

Grindsbrook Clough at first light.

As I neared the top of Grindsbrook clough the sun was just starting to rise. Kinder at 5.30AM

From Grindsbrook Clough I made my way over the Woolpacks with good views towards Brown Knoll.

The trig point at Kinder Low at 7.00AM

I now made my way over Kinders western Edge

Looking down towards Kinder Reservoir and Manchester.

Looking towards Ashop Head.

I arrived at Kinder Downfall, It was a great feeling being there and no one around. The water today was being blown back onto the plateau, If you look closely you can see a rainbow.

Kinder Downfall becoming a upfall.

After 3.5 hours walking and still not meet one single person I reached Ashop Head where I turned eastwards to follow the long Kinders Northern Edge.

The Boxing Gloves on Kinders Northern Edge.

A view of Kinders Northern Edge.

You get some cracking views towards Bleaklow and the Woodlands Valley.

As I neared Crookstone Knoll I finally meet my first person on my walk after 5 hours 50 minutes. And he was only there because he was lost.

From Crookstone Knoll I now headed southwards where there are cracking views towards Win Hill and Ladybower Reservoir.

Another view from Crookstone Knoll looking towards Win Hill and Lose Hill.

So following the southern edge for the last time I passed the Madwomans Stone ( Lying in waiting for Dazza's sarnies) I finally reached Ringing Roger and the view towards Grindsbrook Clough. Was that over 7 hours ago that went quick.

From Ringing Roger I descended down to The Nab and it's stunning view over the Edale Valley.

And finally back to the Edale Valley.

Where that pint was more than welcome.

So 18.5 miles walked in 7.5 hours ending a truely remarkable day.
Would I set the alarm for 3.30AM again, You bet I would.

Hope you enjoy

Mark

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: " Trip Report" The Kinder Round
« Reply #1 on: 23:56:30, 10/05/09 »
Nice one Mark - you can't beat that feeling of being up and about first thing in the morning. After you've woken up that is.

dunc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:59:05, 10/05/09 »
awesome. its almost enough to make me get up at the crack of dawn. but the kids make me do that far too often anyway without any compensations.  ;)
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:37:38, 11/05/09 »
Thanks for that, great photo's and trip report O0.I've had my eye on this walk for a while now as something to build upto and hope to do it before the years out.Were there any points where routefinding was difficult or is it just one straight path all the way around?

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 02:12:19, 11/05/09 »
Nice photo's & report fella  ;)

I prefer to set out early, beat the crowds etc  :)

Plus the sunrise can be awesome  :o

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:00:40, 11/05/09 »
Thanks for the brill photos! Brings back memories.
I did the walk about 5yrs ago. I had this weird Idea that comming from the Barnsley area I would save time by stating the walk from top of snake pass.(getting there  via woodhead and Glossop)  :-[ :)
Set off 4.30am got back to car around 2pm. I did the route anti clockwise. Yep realised I added about 6 miles extra to the walk.
Brill walk and well worth the effert getting up early  O0

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:17:38, 11/05/09 »
Did he say 3.30am??  :o , that's bedtime  :-[

Cracking pictures though
Get Big Picture

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:03:04, 11/05/09 »
Cheers Guys

Ridge walker

Sounded like a long walk if you added a extra 6 miles on top. Yeah Kinder Round is a great walk, Even better when the weathers good. Woundn't like to think I was doing this in the wind and rain.
Did the Kinder Round saturday and the Yorkshire Three Peaks week before, In preparation for doing the Derwent Watershed Walk.
Have you done this walk ?, Its the number one walk in the peak District for me to do but the thought of walking 40 miles over Kinder and Bleaklow  :D

Dizzy

Yeah go for it. You will be more then pleased with yourself for completing it. It's not that hard a walk because once you climb up onto the Plateau it is more or less flat. Walking in Lake District is far harder than the Kinder Round.
I don't know what miles you cover in a day, but if you can up them to say 12 - 15 miles then there is no reason why you can't complete it.
And yes it staight forward, Climb Grindsbrook Clough then follow the path all the way round the edge no map reading skills required here.
Once you done this you can put your name down for the Yorkshire Three Peaks walk in August  O0 Now there is a walk.

mark

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:30:46, 11/05/09 »
Excellent report Mark and some excellent photos as well.

I doubt I'd be able to drag myself out of bed at 0330 to go walking, but will hopefully get a sunset in later in the year. I'm more of a night person you see.

Well I hope the Mad Woman has sonething besides her stones to eat, as she may be going hungry   :D

One day though I'll do the round as well, need to up our milage first.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:33:06, 11/05/09 »
Hi radder yep 6miles extra 3miles from the A57 to Kinder Edge 3miles back.
In reply to your question regarding Derwent Watershed.
 No I havn't done that. What have done is the Derwent Valley Round.

From the A57 Ladybower (Ashopton) climbed to whitestones lee tor. Follwed the path to Dovestone & Back Tor. Then on to Margery Hill. (It wasn't flagged when I did it)

From there joined the cutgate bridleway down to slippery Stones. Followed the path to the Derwent road. Followed the road round Howden Water then took the path up to Alport Castles. On to Lockerbrook Hieghts, Hursthead Cotes, Finaly Crook Hill.

Down to the the A57 back to the car at Ashopton. Brill walk took me about 10hrs Walking the Wainwright Way
Stop often and look round  ;) :)
« Last Edit: 20:57:10, 11/05/09 by Ridge Walker »

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:07:42, 11/05/09 »
Yeah I've done this walk a couple of times. Days before GPS, and worked out on the map that it is in the region of about 18 miles.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:30:50, 11/05/09 »
Got me thinking. Rather than dropping down to slippery stones carry along the outer edge to bleaklow stones. From bleaklow head towards alport casles. Looks interesting.  :)

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:44:43, 11/05/09 »
There a fair few miles there Ridge Walker. At a guess 25!
Derwent Watershed I might try in June when the longest days are here, they say in the region of around 16 hours to complete  ::)

rayf52

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:06:30, 13/05/09 »
heres tha picture of kinder for the forum....  and i even took my seven year old with me                                                                                                                  
« Last Edit: 07:17:23, 14/05/09 by rayf52 »

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:24:43, 15/05/09 »
Got me thinking. Rather than dropping down to slippery stones carry along the outer edge to bleaklow stones. From bleaklow head towards alport casles. Looks interesting.  :)
whoops wrong post delete please  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: 07:11:51, 16/05/09 by Ridge Walker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy