Author Topic: Tents for one......and a dog.  (Read 5863 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Tents for one......and a dog.
« Reply #75 on: 17:43:46, 01/10/19 »

The pegs weigh 9gms (16 of the blighters!). Before it arrived I was planning to shave a little bit of weight by ditching the stuff sack and purchasing light pegs but I reckon 9gms must be pretty light weight anyway.

What type of pegs are they ?

I have found that pegs that come with tents are rarely suitable and are just supplied with the tent to achieve minimum weight and minimum cost.

If they are just 'wire' (like nails) then scrap them, if they are 150mm long then scrap them.

Personally I have found that pegs a minimum of 180mm length (with a couple of 200mm pegs for the windward end of the tent) and of the 'Y' or 'X' design as they provide more resistance to pulling out seem to suit me and most soil types.

Weight are 13g each.

Something like these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-10pcs-Outdoor-Titanium-Tent-Pegs-Stake-Nail-Hook-For-Camping-Canopy-Awning/193096175288?hash=item2cf56dceb8:m:mHWBmZRYFJ5ht8uapk5CCQw

Man wae a dug

« Reply #76 on: 19:23:10, 01/10/19 »
They're Yunan 7375-T6 (or it could be 7075-T6....it's a bit blurry) 170mm long, V shaped with a little scallop just below a sort of half of a heart shaped cut away for the cord to be tied around.

I'd need to get some extra cord or something to attach to them so I can pull them out the ground I reckon. They've got a hole drilled into them so I'm assuming that's what it's for.
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 19:25:57, 01/10/19 »
I have found that pegs that come with tents are rarely suitable and are just supplied with the tent to achieve minimum weight and minimum cost.

Agreed, I never use the supplied pegs. They are usually a poor choice, sometimes because they are totally useless on the hill (the worst offender being Terra Nova hairgrips) or, occasionally, because they are too thick and clunky.
I always take a variety of types to suit the pegging points, some thin and light where stress is minimal and some sturdy ones like MSR groundhogs for the guy lines on the windward side and the door.

taxino8

« Reply #78 on: 19:36:33, 01/10/19 »
Agreed, I never use the supplied pegs. They are usually a poor choice, sometimes because they are totally useless on the hill (the worst offender being Terra Nova hairgrips) or, occasionally, because they are too thick and clunky.
I always take a variety of types to suit the pegging points, some thin and light where stress is minimal and some sturdy ones like MSR groundhogs for the guy lines on the windward side and the door.
Same here, I have actually developed an obsession with different types of pegs and now have quite a selection to choose from and take a variety with me.
I’ve even got four of the Delta Ground Anchor one’s and usually take at least two of those with me, rock solid but a bit awkward to pack due to their shape.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 19:40:14, 01/10/19 »
They're Yunan 7375-T6 (or it could be 7075-T6....it's a bit blurry) 170mm long, V shaped with a little scallop just below a sort of half of a heart shaped cut away for the cord to be tied around.

I'd need to get some extra cord or something to attach to them so I can pull them out the ground I reckon. They've got a hole drilled into them so I'm assuming that's what it's for.

7075 is an aluminium specification
7075-T6 is a Chinese part number for an Aluminium extrusion

By all means keep them but get a 'few' 200mm X or Y (profile) pegs to supplement them.

In hard rocky ground you need 'pins' in soft ground you need to present the largest surface area possible to minimise the peg pulling thru' the ground.

Warbler

« Reply #80 on: 19:57:27, 01/10/19 »
7075 is an aluminium specification
7075-T6 is a Chinese part number for an Aluminium extrusion
7075 is indeed an aluminium specification.

7075-T6 means the aluminium has been solutionised and precipitated (heat treated) to a T6 tempered condition.

Apologies for the nerdiness.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #81 on: 20:00:29, 01/10/19 »
Thanks for the advice.  O0   I'll maybe have a better idea what to do when I pitch it properly for the first time, but I'm thinking that a few longer X or Y shaped pegs for the guy lines and a couple each for the fly sheet and floor on the windward side might be a good starting point?

I'll probably do a couple of nights 'testing' in a camp site first, good excuse to nip over to Arran for a couple of days and do a small section of the coastal path. I need to break both myself and my dog in gently, then I'll get some pins for a wee wild camp in case I need them. I'm already planning my route for Merrick from Loch Trool for next year! 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 20:31:22, 01/10/19 »
Dont throw away the pegs that came with the tent, mwad, maybe supplement them with a few angled pegs for soft ground.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Man wae a dug

« Reply #83 on: 20:46:57, 01/10/19 »
Nah, I wont be throwing them away, reckon I'll use them and see how they go, but adding a few chunkier ones to strategic points seems a sound idea.

I can figure which ones to get nearer the time I'll be using them.........for now I'm moving on to dialling in my research on sleep systems. :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 21:59:10, 01/10/19 »
Don’t forget a peg for wee doggie.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 11:51:18, 02/10/19 »
Good point about 'sleep systems.' I used to buy a mattress, sleeping bag, pillow and sleeping clothing separately without regard to how they would work together.

When I realised the importance of harmony my comfort and warmth, etc improved considerably. So I thought groundsheet, tent base material, mattress, in my case a sleeping quilt, pillow, sleeping top and sleeping bottoms, if they work well together, great, if not I'm always going to be dissatisfied with my lot. I've now moved onto a sleeping overthrow blanket as well for the winter months. It should be a down sleeping overthrow blanket but I haven't found one yet at the price I want to pay.

I am also looking for some kind of cheap low weight rollable insulating material to go immediately under my mattress, again for the winter months. I remember someone wrote into the Forum a few months ago with a suggestion that B & Q may have a suitable item but I can't find the suggestion brand name at the moment.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 13:26:32, 02/10/19 »
I do remember radiator reflector foil being mentioned. If it was that and you want to pick it up rather than Web buying then may Screwfix or Toolstation might be cheaper than BnQ.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Man wae a dug

« Reply #87 on: 21:00:09, 02/10/19 »
ninthace - A peg wouldn't hold him! A fence post and chain might be needed for that. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy