Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9837 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #105 on: 18:09:50, 07/08/19 »
Just hit 50k steps and 32.39 km. That's enough for now. Admittedly 14km was around town which is easier but if I keep this up I'll be fit enough to tackle Helvellyn by the long route (no striding edge), about 400 metres of ascent for the day too.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 18:52:26, 07/08/19 »
Loving the live walk feed!
Do you Tweet? I ask because Viewranger can link with a Twitter account for this very purpose. Or it did when I trialled it - I think they went on and released the feature.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 19:14:49, 07/08/19 »
No I don't know anyone on Twitter so I'm not sure who I'd be tweeting to! Interesting info though.

Normally on walks you don't get a phone signal so you can't communicate but it was on at quite a few places I tried it today.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #108 on: 19:51:37, 07/08/19 »
Oh ninthace, the building with the parking is being redeveloped, there's no parking there anymore. Luckily the street was relatively empty and parking was unrestricted.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 20:13:48, 07/08/19 »
Oh ninthace, the building with the parking is being redeveloped, there's no parking there anymore. Luckily the street was relatively empty and parking was unrestricted.
  That's a shame.  There is space to park at the far end of the lane up to Holwick at NY 90348 27043 - gives you a head start onto the routes over the moors too.  You can either go directly on to the moor via The Bands or take the track past Holwick Lodge to meet the PW.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #110 on: 20:22:21, 07/08/19 »
Where's The Bands? I might go back, don't usually go back places and I'd have to re-cover a chunk of the PW if I went via the Howick Lodge path but I could explore more in Teesdale, the drive was fun unlike most drives to these rural idylls, a winding high speed road that's wide enough for two cars so that's a bonus.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 21:04:01, 07/08/19 »
Nevermind found it, for some reason I assumed it was east of the lodge.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 21:13:48, 07/08/19 »
The Bands are by the track that goes straight onto the moor from Holwick.
There are some good routes up there for covering ground with a great view.  For example head WNW from Holwick on the track and bridleway to Maize Beck at NY 82613 28083,  Go right and follow Maize Beck downstream to meet the PW near Cronkley then PW back to Holwick Head and track from there to start - a shortened version of this one https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914738/120812-Upper-Teesdale
Another route is to go to the moor and then circle south https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914612/130620-Brinks-Moss-Hagworm-Hill.
Then there is Crossthwiate Common https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1911445/150502-Crossthwaite-Common
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 21:38:52, 07/08/19 »
That's a long route, I'll have to plot it and have a ponder. Looks like I'm OK walking for 9 hours in a day but I moved slower today than I did on Saturday out in the county. Thanks ninthace you're like the walking route oracle O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 21:53:33, 07/08/19 »
The route up to Maize Beck is not so bad if you start and finish and Holwick instead of Middleton.  The Binks Moss route requires good navigation as it is little walked.  However if you follow the trace you should be ok.  There are more routes from Langdon Beck, Cow Green and from Middleton itself.  The walk from Middleton up to Coldberry Gutter is a fun one https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1911447/150507-Coldberry-Gutter
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 10:33:19, 08/08/19 »
Plotted the route, tempted to do it from Middleton so I don't end up walking around town to get the steps/miles in after but there's more ascent here I decided to cowardly start in Holwick. What I should really do is start in Middleton and have a break after 6 hours. Baby steps. Not sure if I'll be doing it next week, the soles of my feet are blistered from my 20 miles yesterday. I've started wiping them with surgical spirit and I'm told it takes 2 weeks to work. It's not all that painful though, I just well may.

Incidentally aiming for 15k steps a day now. It's not the adventurous kind of walking we all love but it's still walking right?
« Last Edit: 10:48:48, 08/08/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 14:59:30, 08/08/19 »
Your plot is not bad mapwise, check it against the aerial view all the way round before you go as the OS map us not entirely accurate on the detail of where the paths actually go.  The only real challenge from the navigational standpoint is leaving the track on to the bridleway at NY 87999 27549 and following the bridleway to Birk Rigg.  IIRC there is a gate at the start of the BW but parts are a bit vague on the way across the moor to the hill.  As you drop down to Maize Beck you will also find the OS map is being a bit optimistic, it is more a case of finding your own way down to the Beck.  Hope you enjoy it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: 17:50:55, 08/08/19 »
Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, me too. Hope my feet have toughened up a bit by then also, but I read it takes weeks for calluses to form so probably not.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: 17:59:06, 08/08/19 »
Hmm part of the satellite view on ViewRanger is obscured by cloud and it won't import into OS maps it says the GPX file maybe empty or invalid. Ever had that error before?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: 18:19:17, 08/08/19 »
I tried GoogleSatellite view on the VR website.  No cloud at all on my view,  I also imported your route successfully into the OR website without any problem.  So from my point of view - no fault found - so I cannot advise.  Try the website rather than the app.  TBH it is not an issue anyway - if you follow your intended line the actually route over the ground will be self evident.  The real paths just wriggle a lot more than the OS lets on.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy