Author Topic: How hard is Snowdon?  (Read 84862 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: How hard is Snowdon?
« Reply #60 on: 10:05:02, 26/04/18 »
Its does not get any gentler than the Snowdon Ranger for your return route.
The path is very gentle for the first half mile or two, totally unlike any other path on Snowdon and then a little steep in places, but still very easy walking, and then the rest is on grass back to the Youth Hostel.
Ive never walked up the Rhydd DDu and come down the Ranger path, but both paths are less than five miles from Beddgeleret, with the Rhydd Ddu being only three miles from Beddgelert itself.

All the best.

dank86

« Reply #61 on: 11:48:32, 26/04/18 »
There is a route out of beddgelert that meets up with ryhd ddu or if you want it can meet up with the Watkins path

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:41:22, 26/04/18 »
There is a route out of beddgelert that meets up with ryhd ddu or if you want it can meet up with the Watkins path
Really? What way does that go then? I'm not aware of a route from close to Beddgelert. The only way I've done it was heading east of north from Perthi at the back of the village, and it was completely pathless till I got to Bwlch Cwm Llan.

dank86

« Reply #63 on: 12:54:59, 26/04/18 »
I've got some screen shots but they are to big to upload...

North East out of beddgelert along the A498 there is Craflwyn Hall on the OS maps there is a circular path but it has a route off towards some disused tips and mine, keep following that path and it splits in 2, the path on the right goes up to the Watkins path and the left goes over to rhyd ddu, heading towards rhyd ddu on can swing a right and go up clogwyn ddu

dank86

« Reply #64 on: 16:16:45, 26/04/18 »
https://ibb.co/bSMNEH

Hopefully that links to one of the screen shots that shows the meet up with Watkins path

Surfer99

« Reply #65 on: 19:00:55, 26/04/18 »
What’s the path like along the top of  llechog on the Rhydd Ddu path ?

dank86

« Reply #66 on: 19:04:53, 26/04/18 »
It's pretty good Surfer99 there's cairns to help guide you up to llechog, the path then is pretty good

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 19:56:36, 26/04/18 »
North East out of beddgelert along the A498 there is Craflwyn Hall on the OS maps there is a circular path but it has a route off towards some disused tips and mine, keep following that path and it splits in 2, the path on the right goes up to the Watkins path and the left goes over to rhyd ddu, heading towards rhyd ddu on can swing a right and go up clogwyn ddu

Thanks, I know the Craflwyn path, I've walked it from the Watkin Path, but I didn't know you could get to the Rhyd Ddu Path from it. Most of the NT paths there aren't marked on the OS map, which isn't very helpful.

There are loos outside the Hall, very handy, and also a car park though I don't know what would happen if you left your car there all day. But there's a nice long free layby a bit further down the road towards Beddgelert, it's next to the entrance to Cae Du camp site.

dank86

« Reply #68 on: 20:21:16, 26/04/18 »
Fernman if you look at it on the map near Cwm llan there's a path off to the left that'll take you up to bwlch Cwm llan

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 21:50:45, 26/04/18 »
I know that path too. All is clear now. So you've gone from Craflwyn to the Watkin Path and up that a little bit before branching off on another route that takes you to the Rhyd Ddu Path, when I thought you meant there was a direct path from or near Beddgelert to the Rhyd Ddu Path.
The way I went, northwards from Perthi to the bwlch, was copied from Steve Ashton's 'Ridges of Snowdonia' (2nd edition). It was a much shorter distance but far tougher due to it being totally pathless. It's an interesting way to go for someone who wants to try something different, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

dank86

« Reply #70 on: 22:00:29, 26/04/18 »
Yea I guess so fernman, Watkins isn't listed on that part of the path on my maps only further up.
Looks like a good route for next time I'm up that way though, Tryfan needs to be ticked off soon to

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 22:49:28, 26/04/18 »
We are staying at Perthi Farm

dank86

« Reply #72 on: 22:55:59, 26/04/18 »
Rural roamer I'd drive up to rhyd ddu and go from there, only just up the road from you

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 23:00:15, 26/04/18 »
Yes thats what we're planning to do

dank86

« Reply #74 on: 23:04:19, 26/04/18 »
Happy days, let us know how you get on 👍

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy