Author Topic: 3 Yorkshire peaks.  (Read 11932 times)

Kmo86

3 Yorkshire peaks.
« on: 20:39:24, 23/05/18 »
Has anyone done this? I’m hoping to do this sometime. I go to a brain injury group and 2 of staff there have done this last year with one admitting they don’t think I’d manage which has made me determined to prove them wrong. I know it will be tough but taking it steady I think I could manage.

Today I mentioned to man who doesn’t think I’d manage that me and few others would like to give them a go. He is always on the cautious side so wasn’t surprised when he started the first sentence with he would feel better if, but then was presently surprised when he said by doing some shorter walks up hills to work up to the3 peaks. Now I’m like thinking I don’t need to do the shorter walks, but it will be enjoyable doing them so I’m all for it.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: 3 Yorkshire peaks.
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:25, 23/05/18 »
I think your man is right, you probably need to do some shorter practice hill walks first. The Yorkshire 3 peaks is a pretty challenging day, even for a regular hill walker.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:28:59, 23/05/18 »

It's a long, tough, challenging walk. Personally I would recommend you take your mate's advice and get some good training walks in on similar terrain. Start with a mile or 2 and work up to it. Get some biggish hills in too. I would aim to be comfortable with doing around 15 miles or more over similar ground before doing this.
I'm sure that many of those that do it every year do so with little to no training. I'm equally sure that many of those have an awful day out as a result.
A couple of years back, and mate and I were climbing up bracken bottom towards Pen y Ghent. We passed a young lass on a charity outing just as P-Y-G hove into view (maybe a mile in) Bl00dy hell! she exclaimed. "I hope we're not  going up that!!" She was clearly totally unprepared for what was ahead. I didn't have the heart to tell her that indeed she was "going up that".
All that said, it's a beautiful walk in stunning scenery. I hope you're successful with it, but please get some training in and above all don't underestimate it.
I'll also add the usual caveats here about appropriate clothing, plenty of food and drink and at least reasonable navigation skills.
I'm sure others will be along soon to add to this.

Kmo86

« Reply #3 on: 21:48:28, 23/05/18 »
Thanks for replies. This is a rare occasion where I will gladly take the more cautious option. I know it will be tough as the man saying it’s best to do some shorter build up walks did 3 peaks last year and said he was tired for next 2 days after it and this is someone who is used to running marathons.

Today he said he knew I’d do it as he knows I would force myself just to prove him wrong but he’s not sure I’d manage it in daylight hours which makes sense as obviously I would go slower when starting to struggle.

I can do long distance walks but honestly that distance even on flat ground would probably be tough. As for taking water I know the man will make sure everyone has some. I’ve been on few short runs with him and he’s always insisted on taking water and pushing me to keep drinking even when I didn’t want any.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:15:21, 23/05/18 »
Do do it and do train for it.  But you don't have to do it right now, or next month. The 3 peaks will still be there next year. And the one after that, and the one aft.... etc... O0

Kmo86

« Reply #5 on: 14:49:06, 24/05/18 »
Do do it and do train for it.  But you don't have to do it right now, or next month. The 3 peaks will still be there next year. And the one after that, and the one aft.... etc... O0

True tho I’m not the most patient person. Honestly if the group I attend does plan some walks to build up to it I probably won’t be in rush to get it done as I will enjoy the training leading up to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:20:32, 24/05/18 »
Also bear in mind it takes some folk a fair time to complete it - depending on time of year, you could end up finishing it in the dark so be prepared for night navigation,
Solvitur Ambulando

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:43:23, 25/05/18 »
I have donr the Y3P 3 times. The trail these days is easy to follow on pretty good ground apart really from the descent of the second hill which is steep and poor underfoot. I last did the walk at the end of April with a group of 7. All were seasoned walkers but 3 had not done this sort of distance before. All got round in under 11 hours. I was the slowest as i was still recovering from a sprained ankle. We would have been quicker but without exaggeration there must have been 500 people on the hills plus the 3 pealks marathon so we were queuing to get up the scrambly bits.
So my advice it to avoid weekends.
As long as you take it steady and do not try to set a blistering pace in order to achieve a time i would give it a go.
It's all uphill from here.

MichaelUK

« Reply #8 on: 18:07:19, 27/05/18 »
I did it beginning of May, an overcast misty day. Each peak was shrouded in fog, couldn't see a thing. I agree the decent from Whernside is treacherous. Came in just under 9 hours, that was with 2 twenty minute breaks. Legs were shaking when I got to the top of Whernside! Also I didnt care for the scambling, rocks were wet and I dont have a head for heights. It was my 60th birthday challenge to myself.
« Last Edit: 18:11:37, 27/05/18 by MichaelUK »

Kmo86

« Reply #9 on: 19:05:33, 27/05/18 »
I’m thinking I mite suggest doing the hardest ones to balance on first as my balance isn’t great, not sure if it gets worse as I get tired but mite as well be on safe side. Especially as the man who suggested doing shorter walks to build up will be feeling responsible for everyone.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:27:43, 27/05/18 »
Ingleborough has the steepest climb more vertical than the others, so you may be able to do that first and start from chapel le dale.
It's all uphill from here.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:08:40, 27/05/18 »
Why not just do one for now and see how you get on? They're all terrific walks in their own right and there's loads of routes to choose from, particularly on Ingleborough.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:54:38, 28/05/18 »

I have a bad head for heights, but when I got to the scrambly bit on Ingleborough I think I was past caring! 
I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not!

Kmo86

« Reply #13 on: 09:23:35, 29/05/18 »
I think I will mention the doing one peak or 2 first as it could be a practice run. I know if we go with option of doing 1 or all 3 I’ll be wanting to do all 3 weather I would depends on how tough I find it. Well I should find out today or tomorrow if the man has sorted anything tho it’s going to be July if he does I think.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:10:24, 29/05/18 »

A good route for 1 is Pen y Ghent from Horton following the Y3P route. Continue on over Whitber Hill. Then instead of turning right on to the Pennine way for the rest of the walk, turn Left to return to Horton. That comes in at around 8 miles and will give you a flavour.
Or. For 2 you could do Whernside and Ingleborough from Ribblehead. Again follow the Y3P route over Whernside and on to Ingleborough, but then instead of going right at Swine Tail and back to Horton, go straight on to park fell along a mighty fine high level route and return to your car at Ribblehead. From memory that comes in at about 14 miles and is pretty challenging.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy