Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 274990 times)

DanielSingleton

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #525 on: 18:19:08, 20/06/18 »

I recently finished University (mature student) and have booked a few weeks off work to celebrate in my own way.  I collected my tickets this morning and I am all set for a big adventure, you can probably guess where I am going to be walking during the week.... and next week.... and the week after that.  ;D ;D ;D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #526 on: 18:31:26, 20/06/18 »
Enjoy that Daniel - very jealous of the ability to take that much time off.  Happy days

DanielSingleton

« Reply #527 on: 18:58:16, 20/06/18 »
Enjoy that Daniel - very jealous of the ability to take that much time off.  Happy days

Thank you, it is pretty much all my annual leave used up, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Ralph

« Reply #528 on: 18:59:44, 20/06/18 »
Daniel, if you're staying at Fieldhead Camp & having  a pint in the Nags tomorrow, i may catch you. Elderly with short grey hair, that should narrow it down a bit !

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #529 on: 20:39:11, 20/06/18 »
I walked the Wealdway from East Hoathly to Upper Horsebridge today.  A pleasant walk in gentle countryside and it was nice to see Chiddingly Church with its soaring stone spire and the pretty village of Hellingly.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #530 on: 21:09:48, 20/06/18 »
Just found a nice looking walking from Ravenstonedale http://www.countryfile.com/walk/smardale-gill-cumbria-yorkshire-dales
It looks brill.  Gonna do that tomorrow.   :D :D

DanielSingleton

« Reply #531 on: 21:38:42, 20/06/18 »
Daniel, if you're staying at Fieldhead Camp & having  a pint in the Nags tomorrow, i may catch you. Elderly with short grey hair, that should narrow it down a bit !

Unfortunately I will not be staying in Edale, I am planning to be in Crowden by the end of the day.  I will however be stopping in at the Old Nags Head for some lunch and a drink, I mean it is a Pennine Way tradition, and would be rude not too, right?  Well at least that is what I am telling myself!

Well if I do bump into you, I'll be inexperienced looking middle aged bald man, struggling with an overpacked rucksack!  ;D ;D ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #532 on: 22:29:14, 21/06/18 »
Just walked up on to a local clifftop here in Orkney for an impromptu wild camp. Sun went down at 2220. Beautiful.

« Last Edit: 22:54:21, 21/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #533 on: 00:07:28, 22/06/18 »
Superb photo, captures the evening mood perfecly Richard.

I'm just in from walking Great Links on Dartmoor.  Beautiful evening and finally after all these years I found a  short little chimney route I could safely take to the very top.  There was much wooping and even an air punch.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #534 on: 07:10:28, 22/06/18 »
I must make the effort to get down to Dartmoor sometime; rather a long way for me to travel though!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #535 on: 00:41:21, 23/06/18 »
So many fine places to walk in Scotland.  I should have been in Cairngorms this very week, but an injury forced me to cancell my plans.  Dartmoor is a wonderful place.  You can walk all day and see no one, then hop in the car and be in a city in 30 minutes should you wish.  Plus the rich, harsh, industrial history of the moor adds a fascinating extra element to most walks, as you try to peace together the landscape.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #536 on: 07:09:56, 23/06/18 »

I'm always pleased to come across old mine workings, tramways, quarries on a walk; adds interest to a walk. Snowdonia is excellent in that respect; the Gwydir Forest was my local patch for several years.

ps - hope that your injury mends soon. When you do visit the Cairngorms, try and find time to incorporate Glen Feshie in your plans - I am captivated after a visit last weekend.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #537 on: 07:44:04, 23/06/18 »

Where are you good people walking DURING the week?

As well as the occasional local wild camp, a LOT of dog walking here in Orkney - it is impossible to walk the legs off an English Springer Spaniel!

This local clifftop is a particular favourite for walking the dog - and for occasional wild camping. Beautiful at this time of year, with thrift, sea campion, squill, tormentil & red campion in flower. Earlier in the year it is lesser celandines and violets, and the heather is still to come!

« Last Edit: 07:53:47, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #538 on: 18:17:59, 23/06/18 »
I've had an ongoing leg pain for about four months, but over the past few days it seems to have repaired itself. I really hope so anyway. I've walked twice this week (5 miles a time) and have had no hint of my previous problem.

To 'celebrate' I've decided to go back to Normandy for a few days (to the Suisse Normand area) and hike the parts of the route I missed last time. I should be leaving on Monday and just plan to be away for four nights.

Now that I know how to work the route, I'll catch the ferry to Oustraham and then catch a bus to Caen central bus station. I'll then hike on the GR36 to my first nights camp. The next day I'll hike the opposite way that I did last time to Thurry Harcourt and camp there again. I like this little place. The next morning I'll hike and cross the River Orne and make my way back to my first nights camp site via the GR36 Varient. From there I'll hike all the way back to Caen, but this timeinstead of taking the bus I'll just carry on walking towards the port. I'll then camp just one more time and in the morning catch the ferry home.

I'm going to France because as I live in Portsmouth its a cheaper return for me than catching a train up north and back.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #539 on: 18:08:40, 24/06/18 »
I'm back in Rutland to finish off bagging the County with a nice 6 mile walk from Empingham up to Exton tomorrow which is possibly the same route mananddog suggested to me. It's going to be another boiling hot day too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy