Author Topic: Walk suggestions starting from Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire?  (Read 2259 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Hi all

Long shot, I know, but can anyone recommend any short walks, 5 miles or less, starting from Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire.  I won't have a car and suspect I'll be limited for time (eg. evening only).  I'm actually staying about a mile east of M-i-M if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions  :)

Mel

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
I lived at Longborough for a year, so know the area pretty well. Shame about no car, as there are some corkers for an evening walk a little further afield.

Anyway, Wolford Wood is nice. You say about a mile east of MitM, so I'm guessing the Fire Service technical College, or thereabouts. That would mean Lemington Heath Coppice, Wolford Wood, Great Wolford (nice earthworks if like me you're into archaeology), Barton-on-the-Heath and back. A little over 5km, but cut-shortable.

Might be a bit far, but you can get up onto the hill at Wheelbarrow Castle for good views.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Stube

Try Heart of England Way or Monarch's Way to either Chipping Camden or Bourton on the Water.

Bus for the return journey if you don't want to walk back.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Aww, hey, thanks guys.  I was actually there last weekend and it turned out I just didn't have enough free time before dark to do any walking beyond a couple of half milers(!) around the college grounds (yes archaeroutes, Fire Service College).  Plus, I was pretty exhausted by the end of the day and a belly full of food!

However, I was pleasantly surprised that it only took us 3.5 hours to get "all the way down to Gloucestershire" - I expected it to take much longer - so it's earmarked for weekend "county bagging" camping trip and those suggestions won't go un-researched  O0

Thanks again guys  :)

Stube

If you're county bagging, Bourton on the Water is also the start of the Oxfordshire Way even though it's not quite in that county.

Warwickshire is only a couple of miles north of Chipping Campden on either the HoE or Monarch's  Ways.

The Mickleton Hills Farm does take campers, but advance booking is essential, it's on the above ways. I've stopped there a couple of times.

https://mickletonhillsfarm.com/

Worcestershire is nearby - but I don't know direct route.
« Last Edit: 09:22:33, 18/06/18 by Stube »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Loads of good walks if you have a bit more choice of starting point.
Belas Knap is superb for starters. Somewhere I have some routes I wrote when I lived there, but can't find them on my phone.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
Cheers Stube.  I'm not one for LDWs to be honest but, having a look-see at those has given me some good ideas for circular walks from a basecamp and some ideas for bagging other counties they pass through (the Staffordshire bit of Monarch's Way looks interesting - I've only part-bagged Staffordshire in the Peak District bit and Warwickshire is virgin turf).

Mickleton Hills Farm looks a bit posh though.  Is it best bib and tucker if you camp there?  :o

Cheers archaeoroutes.  Yes, at least now I'll have a bit more time and flexibility for a starting point/base camp so will take a look at Belas Knap  O0

Stube

Camping at Mickleton Hills Farm is farm pitch basic - a single toilet/shower/sink for the campers. An iron and board is provided though!
They want advance notice so they can warn you if they have (drunken) wedding guests camping.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Lol.  I'd iron mi best party frock and gatecrash  :D

It doesn't mention camping on their website though  :-\

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Lol.  I'd iron mi best party frock and gatecrash  :D

It doesn't mention camping on their website though  :-\

I found this from June 2015 so it might have changed...

Camping is possible (summer only) at Mickleton Hills Farm 20mins NE of the town via public footpath (Monarch's and Heart of England ways). Toilet and shower. £7+/p. Phone in advance 07876 576 448 - Gaynor Brundle. This is a wedding venue so you may be sharing with drunken wedding guests!
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
Cheers Bri.  I wonder if it is still valid then?  Field, loo, shower.... Sounds ideal, apart from the drunken wedding guests!

Stube

I last camped at Mickleton Hills in 2016.

Roburite

OS Maps online will show you lots of possibilities.  Look for Routes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy