Author Topic: Garmin GPS's and alternatives to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery?  (Read 2493 times)

DanielSingleton

Hi all

I am not normally one for extravagant purchases, but just under a year ago I traded in my trusty old etrex10 and treated myself to a Garmin GPS Map64s which I absolutely love.  The GPS also came with a free 1 year subscription to Garmin's BirdsEye Satellite imagery (through their base camp app) which is due to expire in the next few weeks.  Unlike the GPS which I cannot fault, I am not quite as sold on the BirdsEye subscription, and have a couple of issues with it (restrictive cap on download speeds from Garmin server, outdated maps etc).   

I figure rather than renew the subscription, I may just let it expire and look into other options.  Can any one recommend any user friendly (I'm not very technologically minded or computer savvy) alternatives that would be compatible with my device?  Can be either free or paid for (So long as they are not too expensive).

Thanks

Dan

sussamb

• Veteran Member
There isn't one if you're implying you want a way to download imagery to your 64. However note that just because your subscription expires doesn't mean you lose all your BirdsEye imagery.  You can continue to use that as long as you like.
Where there's a will ...

DanielSingleton

That is a shame, I thought there were several alternatives around (I could have swore I had read about people downloading images from google earth onto their GPS).  Looks like I will just have to renew then, fortunately the pricing is pretty reasonable.

And thanks, I was unsure whether I kept the imagery I had already downloaded or not.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
You can download routes in various ways but not images, so maybe it was that you had seen?  You can also create custom maps http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/10/creating-and-using-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html#.Wyjnz02Wzct
Where there's a will ...

DanielSingleton

I must have gotten confused, as I say technology and computers are not my biggest strength.

Thanks again

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy