Author Topic: TR - The Western Carneddau  (Read 2954 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
TR - The Western Carneddau
« on: 11:25:58, 20/06/18 »
Morning all,

I've now added a blog post about my second day in Snowdonia last bank holiday weekend. It was a solo walk this time, exploring some of the less-frequented, western hills in the Carneddau range. Due to the weather (strong winds and low cloud in the middle of the day) it didn't quite pan out how I'd planned but it was still a good day's walking across countryside that was for the most part completely new to me.

Some pictures below:

Image may contain: mountain, sky, tree, plant, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature
Heading into Cwm Caseg.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature
Carreg y Gath (l) and Yr Elen (r).

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature
Clogwyn yr Heliwr.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and nature
Into the mist...

Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor and nature
Bera Mawr.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, grass, tree, plant, cloud, outdoor and nature
The summit of Gyrn Wigau.

As always there are more pictures and a full write-up of the walk at the blog:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2018/06/the-western-carneddau.html

Cheers,  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - The Western Carneddau
« Reply #1 on: 11:40:16, 20/06/18 »
Lovely remote country. I've not often approached the Carneddau from the west.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:32:54, 20/06/18 »
Great write up and photos on your blog as usual adalard  O0 Crikey that was a steep climb!!
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:01:05, 20/06/18 »
I must have been looking down on you that very same Bank holiday Monday.
I had parked my car at the above Aberfalls carpark, and traversed the Northern half of the Carneddau, taking in Drum, Foel Fras, and Foel Grach.
On my return from Foel Grach's summit, i peered down into Cwm Caseg and the Caseg valley,  so you must have been approaching me from Gerlan.

All i can say, is that you chose one of the best approaches to the Carneddau, and momentarily i had the entire Central Carneddau ridge to myself at around 2pm, a place to contemplate ones good health and ability to breath the pure air of Snowdonia.

Thank You Lord for creating wide open expanses of stunning countryside.
« Last Edit: 20:04:24, 20/06/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:40:35, 20/06/18 »
Enjoyed the TR adalard    :)    That disused quarry must be an evocative place. When old industrial sites are reclaimed by nature it's strange to think they would once have been scenes of noise and activity. 

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:23:52, 21/06/18 »
Lovely remote country. I've not often approached the Carneddau from the west.

It was my first time around that particular area. It really was beautiful.  :)

Great write up and photos on your blog as usual adalard  O0 Crikey that was a steep climb!!

Cheers, April.  :)  Yeah, it was a slog - probably worse with my heavy bag. I poured away some water when I got to the top, once it was clear the day wasn't going to be anywhere near as hot as the one before.

I must have been looking down on you that very same Bank holiday Monday...

All i can say, is that you chose one of the best approaches to the Carneddau, and momentarily i had the entire Central Carneddau ridge to myself at around 2pm, a place to contemplate ones good health and ability to breath the pure air of Snowdonia.

Ah, this walk was on the day afterwards, DA - on the Tuesday. You might have seen us as little dots wandering around on top of Pen Llithrig y Wrach on the Bank Holiday Monday though, if you looked in that direction.

I agree about it being a fine approach to the Carneddau, it was very beautiful.  O0  Looking forward to revisiting the area.

Enjoyed the TR adalard    :)    That disused quarry must be an evocative place. When old industrial sites are reclaimed by nature it's strange to think they would once have been scenes of noise and activity. 

Thanks, Dovegirl.  :)  Yes, the whole valley was a very atmospheric place - quite poignant too, when you think of the people that worked or lived there.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:37:15, 21/06/18 »
Love that Adalard - I took Mrs pdstsp up into that area last year and she loved it - I think she finally understood why I keep disappearing!  Like you we hardly saw another person all day.  A wonderful area to walk - particularly if you can see where you're going!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:31:49, 22/06/18 »
Love that Adalard - I took Mrs pdstsp up into that area last year and she loved it - I think she finally understood why I keep disappearing!  Like you we hardly saw another person all day.

Cheers, Pdstsp.  O0  I can totally understand how Mrs. Pdstsp was so impressed with the place.  :)

A wonderful area to walk - particularly if you can see where you're going!

;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:55:34, 22/06/18 »

I can recommend the walk up Cwm Pen Llafar to the south of your route, adalard. Many years ago I bivvied amongst boulders beneath the Black Ladders; a very atmospheric spot. And the next day I scrambled up the ridge above, which took me almost to the summit of C. Dafydd.

I was braver in those days!

Another favourite of mine was the walk up past Aber Falls to the north, and on to the hills from that direction.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:38:02, 22/06/18 »
I can recommend the walk up Cwm Pen Llafar to the south of your route, adalard. Many years ago I bivvied amongst boulders beneath the Black Ladders; a very atmospheric spot. And the next day I scrambled up the ridge above, which took me almost to the summit of C. Dafydd.

I was braver in those days!

Another favourite of mine was the walk up past Aber Falls to the north, and on to the hills from that direction.

Cheers, Richard - yes, that's the Crib Lem (Llech Ddu Spur), I guess you mean? I've wanted to do that for a while. The guy I met on Gyrn Wigau right at the end of this walk had come up and over the tops that way.

I also met a couple (back in 2016) who'd simply walked up the hillside to the col at the head of Cwm Llafar. They showed me where they'd come up, probably a bit of a slog but no technical difficulty otherwise.

I've never actually been to Aber Falls, really need to sort that. Looks beautiful in photos.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:25:21, 22/06/18 »
Nice.  I love the pic "Looking across to Yr Elen.", and the last one above.  Awesome.

Think I wanna go to Wales again.  O0 O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:15:39, 23/06/18 »
Great photos adalard O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:15:55, 23/06/18 »

Cheers, Richard - yes, that's the Crib Lem (Llech Ddu Spur), I guess you mean? I've wanted to do that for a while. The guy I met on Gyrn Wigau right at the end of this walk had come up and over the tops that way.

I also met a couple (back in 2016) who'd simply walked up the hillside to the col at the head of Cwm Llafar. They showed me where they'd come up, probably a bit of a slog but no technical difficulty otherwise.

I've never actually been to Aber Falls, really need to sort that. Looks beautiful in photos.

Yes, it would have been Crib Lem; I do remember having to traverse in from the side. Some good photos HERE

And Aber Falls is a must; by far the best waterfall in North Wales, in my opinion.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:13:54, 23/06/18 »

Nice.  I love the pic "Looking across to Yr Elen.", and the last one above.  Awesome.

Think I wanna go to Wales again.

Thanks, Dittzzy.     O0

I wanna go to Wales again too - and it's not that long since I got back! It's one of my favourite places for walking.  :)

Great photos adalard

Cheers, Sunnydale.  :)

Yes, it would have been Crib Lem; I do remember having to traverse in from the side. Some good photos HERE

And Aber Falls is a must; by far the best waterfall in North Wales, in my opinion.

Those photos were great!

Aber Falls is definitely at the top of the to-do list.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy