Author Topic: Sleeping Bag  (Read 659 times)

Little Foot

Sleeping Bag
« on: 18:30:05, 28/02/20 »
Hi all. I recently bought a Rab Ascent 700 W for £133, which is a pretty good buy I feel. I tried it for size and it is ok, but I'd prefer one a bit more roomy in the shoulder area as I have my arms up around the shoulder area when I sleep, plus I'm a chubby mare.  I also feel it may be too warm for the conditions I will use it for. I have ordered a Snugpak Softie expansion 2 which I managed to get for less than £50 in sale. I've yet to try it out.

I plan on walking the WHW in August, and will be camping from Spring (March maybe) to Autumn mainly in England, Yorkshire area but will head over to the Lake District, plus other places at some point. . Do you think the Snugpak would be adequate for my needs? I'll be a fair weather camper during Spring and Autumn, whereas Summer will be more planned in Advance.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping Bag
« Reply #1 on: 18:49:45, 28/02/20 »
When my bag is not warm enough I just slip on my down jacket and then get in again. So far this seems to work well.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:14:18, 28/02/20 »
I have a Rab Ascent 500 and a 300, the 500 is my winter sleeping bag the 300 my summer bag.

I had a snugpak softie years ago and back then they were very tightly cut. They could well have changed beyond all recognision since then. You'll have to try it when it comes. You can always send it back.

Little Foot

« Reply #3 on: 20:37:33, 28/02/20 »
Yeah, suppose I could do that if I get chilly, GWM.
Anyone know how the Snugpaks perform lately? Do they do what they say?

I have a Rab Ascent 500 and a 300, the 500 is my winter sleeping bag the 300 my summer bag.
I had a snugpak softie years ago and back then they were very tightly cut. They could well have changed beyond all recognision since then. You'll have to try it when it comes. You can always send it back.
The Expansion version has two zips parallel to each other, bringing the chest width from 75cm to 87.5. I tried a Vango ultralight pro200 which is supposed to be 78cm chest width but that felt far too small to get my shoulders in. The women's Rab Ascent 700 is less, at 73, but that wasn't too bad and felt bigger than the Vango. Sounds like the Rab 700 is overkill for what I need though, shame as it is a bargain I think.

Little Foot

« Reply #4 on: 11:05:36, 05/03/20 »
My Snugpak Softie Expansion arrived today and it is perfect! Having the expanding part means it becomes more like a regular sleeping bag and less restrictive, a kind of mummy-rectangular hybrid lol. Can't grumble for less than £50.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:05:38, 05/03/20 »
Glad you're happy with it.

Pitboot

« Reply #6 on: 13:55:21, 05/03/20 »
I've had a military Snugpak bag for years, excellent kit. Customer service is great too, repairs are reasonable and very well done.

Little Foot

« Reply #7 on: 14:16:10, 05/03/20 »
Thanks Owen.

I've had a military Snugpak bag for years, excellent kit. Customer service is great too, repairs are reasonable and very well done.

That sounds good. I also see they are a U.K. company with 40 years of experience so fairly confident this will suit my needs. Glad to support a local company too

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy