Author Topic: Bannerdale Crags descent question  (Read 3965 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Bannerdale Crags descent question
« Reply #15 on: 17:39:34, 16/03/21 »
Aye up April - you dusting off the tent then?

Oh aye. Got holiday from work from 17th April. We are going to be doing a lot of wild camping, not been on a wild camp since 12th Oct 20.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:47:42, 16/03/21 »
Fab- lets hope for the same spring weather as last year!!  We've booked a cottage in Patterdale from April 30 for a week - same old faces across the table, but a better view out of the window!!  And it'll get the woofers onto the fells which will be fun. O0

And we've all hijacked Mel's thread - she'll be along to give a ticking off.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:55:24, 16/03/21 »
Sounds like a better view than I got on the way to my vaccination centre  ;D  Yep - excitement growing - there is a lot of catching up to do.
It is a lovely ride, along the shore from Grange, over the viaduct to Arnside, through the limestone country past Leighton Moss bird reserve, along the shore to Carnforth, with views west across the bay to Coniston Old Man etc.; really fine views today.

And Mel - that route down is fine, though I also like the route down following the Glendaramackin.  Lovely corner of the Lakes.

Yes, I've got my eye on that - a longer way around but nicer and easier on the knees, I suspect. And some lead mines to have a poke around.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:56:31, 16/03/21 »
Fab- lets hope for the same spring weather as last year!!  We've booked a cottage in Patterdale from April 30 for a week - same old faces across the table, but a better view out of the window!!  And it'll get the woofers onto the fells which will be fun. O0

And we've all hijacked Mel's thread - she'll be along to give a ticking off.

Enjoy your hols  :)  I'm sure Mel won't mind the hijack, we are all giddy with excitement  ;D
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:01:44, 16/03/21 »
..and us being let loose coincides with the clocks going forward.  :coolsmiley:

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:03:01, 16/03/21 »
Bring it on.... 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:03:51, 16/03/21 »

Great stuff - Patterdale makes an ideal centre for the walker; so much on the doorstep....

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 22:08:17, 16/03/21 »
Wowzers!  I go on granny duties and come back to this  :D

Boring stuff first... cheers for all the replies to the actual topic  O0  Lots of food for thought, particularly re. the Glendaramakin route - I've walked that part before coming off Blencathra.  Was wanting to stay as high as possible for as long as possible, hence my quick quezzie. 

Karl - disappointing effort from Paramo - you'd have thought their gear came with brakes and steering as standard  :D   fab pic and one of my favourite kinds of terrain  :)

Right, back to getting excited, clocks going forward, warm weather and jabs  ;D

I've not had my jab yet - got a lot of oldies to get through where I live  :P   On the plus side, this means I'm obviously not old enough to qualify being licked by Paul  :-X

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:32:00, 16/03/21 »

Great stuff - Patterdale makes an ideal centre for the walker; so much on the doorstep....

Indeed, but keep your voice down Richard I've not told Mrs pdstsp yet.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:35:46, 16/03/21 »
[quote author=Mel link=topic=41780.msg606514#msg606514

Right, back to getting excited,  I'm obviously  old enough to qualify being licked by Paul

Fixed that for you Mel.

Sorry. Not quite sure what happened to the quotes, but Tuesday night has been rioja night, so......

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:49:03, 16/03/21 »
I'm obviously not old enough to qualify being licked by Paul

Gawd!!! What have I stumbled into ? ? ?  :-[
Skip

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:59:55, 16/03/21 »
... I'm obviously too young to qualify being licked by Paul

Fixed your quotes problem Paul ..

I was going to use the  :P  emoji but, with hindsight, it's probably better I use  :D  instead

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:04:31, 16/03/21 »
 Gawd!!! What have I stumbled into ? ? ?    :-[

;D   The forum getting back to normal, that's all  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:14:24, 17/03/21 »
If you're coming down from Blencathra, Mel, you could always descend Scales fell or white Horse Bent and, if you are feeling good, take in Souther Fell - it's a relatively short pull from the footbridge, though at the end of a long day, it can feel a bit longer.

I think maybe I shouldn't have started the licking conversation  :o

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:32:07, 24/03/21 »
Souther Fell is a [censored] on your knees heading off the north side mind you, far better to take the easier zig zag walk off to the east, but you'll want to do this before it gets covered in bracken.  That north side must be one of the more precarious descents because so much of it seems wet grass.

Think Blencathra via Scales, Foule Crag, path following the Glenderamackin, Mungrisdale then back via the B-road to Scales would be a solid walk.  Not too much ascent either, plenty of meandering valley walking to get back into post-lockdown fitness gently.   Oh and the most importantly bit, a pub at the start, half way around, and back at the end again!  That's good walk planning right there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy