Author Topic: TR Catbells Terrace and Derwent Water Shore path Sat 8 Feb 20  (Read 2288 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We did a low level walk on Saturday, the wind at height was going to be a bit frisky so we played it safe. We tried to park at Gutherscale in the Newlands Valley but the car park was full and I had to reverse all the way back to the start of the Catbells Terrace road. Thankfully Beefy was there giving me advice ;) I hate reversing and it felt like it was a mile yet is only 1/8 of a mile. We got parked near Brackenburn on the other side of Catbells  and we walked toward Manesty to access the Catbells Terrace path.

On the road to Manesty

Skiddaw and Blencathra from the terrace path

It was very windy but it was behind us. We had great views and we even had some sunshine, not bad at all.

Looking back toward Kings How and Rosthwaite Fell

Across Derwent Water to Bleaberry Fell

There are a few ups and downs on this path

Erosion Control notices

Sadly some walkers are ignoring these signs and still using the paths that are fenced off. We saw a group of about 10 people using the fenced off route.   

Zooming in on Blencathra 

Causey Pike from the end of the Terrace Path 

It was a make it up as we went along walk, with not being able to park in Gutherscale and we had abandoned the planned Newlands Valley walk. We decided to use the Derwent Water shore path to get back to Brackenburn.   

A robin near Hawes End

Old Brandlehow jetty 

Brandlehow Point

Looking back at Skiddaw and Blencathra

We walked through Manesty Park and rejoined the Catbells terrace road and made our way back to the car for our lunch. It was a very nice walk and one we had expected to get a little wet on but we were dry if a little wind swept, not a bad day out at all. It was about 5 miles with about 200m of ascent.

As we drove toward Penrith it started raining so we had timed the walk to perfection. Storm Ciara had arrived and Saturday night and Sunday morning were pretty wild. Appleby in Westmorland had flooding issues, yet again as did other parts of Cumbria, Warwick Bridge was, which is near where I live. We managed to get out for a walk on Sunday to Talkin Tarn at lunchtime when the weather had got better. The River Eden was still rising although the rain had stopped and we were lucky to get over Warwick Bridge on the way back and we saw the houses near it were going to be flooded; the road next to the houses was already closed because it was flooded. Carlisle was very close to being flooded again, a part of Warwick Road was closed for a while on Sunday evening due to the road being flooded but no houses were affected. The river level had peaked and started going down at midnight thank goodness. Let us hope Storm Dennis isn't too much of a menace, it looks like it could another weekend of fingers crossed.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics Ape O0
Was a nice walk,
Ignoring erosion control signs is on the banned list  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
Glad you got out and about guys O0
Sue and I did a local walk on Saturday and I've never seen so many runners, walkers and cyclists it's as though everyone knew what was coming so got their fix of the outdoors whilst they could :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Some gorgeous photos there April. Catbells is a lovely hill, as are the other hills between Derwentwater and Buttermere.

I managed to get out on Saturday before the storm - mountain biking in Grisedale Forest with my 12 year old - he did really well on the climbs.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
Smashing.  Lots of lovely. familiar views there  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics, I'm surprised that you couldn't park I wouldn't expect it to be so busy in February.

The weather was 'a bit frisky' talk about understatement.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Made the most of the weather there - lovely shots April

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A great little walk and even some blue skies in the pics  O0

That wind was perishing even here in the lowlands near home, one tree down in a local park that we know of.
A few years back, wasn't there talk of closing the road approaching Catbells from the north to public traffic at a certain point?. It's very vague now.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Thankyou for the TR. Great pictures.
It's all uphill from here.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April, especially the robin     :)

April

• Veteran Member
Was a nice walk,

It was nice, we have walked along there a few times you would think we would be bored of it.

Sue and I did a local walk on Saturday and I've never seen so many runners, walkers and cyclists it's as though everyone knew what was coming so got their fix of the outdoors whilst they could :)

:) It was busy where we were too

I managed to get out on Saturday before the storm - mountain biking in Grisedale Forest with my 12 year old - he did really well on the climbs.

I've never been to Grisedale Forest. I'm pleased you managed to get out before Ciara turned up, it was quite nice on Saturday morning.

Lots of lovely. familiar views there  :)

Thanks Mel  :)

Lovely pics, I'm surprised that you couldn't park I wouldn't expect it to be so busy in February.

Thanks Ridge. We got to the car park at 9.45. I think everyone had gone early before the storm hit proper.

Made the most of the weather there

We did time it very well  :)

A few years back, wasn't there talk of closing the road approaching Catbells from the north to public traffic at a certain point?

Was there? It must have passed me by  :-[

Great pictures.

Thank you Slowcoach  :)

Lovely photos April, especially the robin     :)

Thanks Dovegirl  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
No Squeaky this time?  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
No Squeaky this time?  :-\
Take a closer look ya bogger ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
Where?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
The very first photo, perhaps. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy