Author Topic: How do you 'publish' the hikes that you've done?  (Read 3350 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you 'publish' the hikes that you've done?
« Reply #15 on: 11:05:16, 30/07/20 »
There are a number of software packages that can copy and save webpages, and even whole sites
Webwhacker is the best known, but I am sure free to use alternatives exist.
Then there is always waybackmachine. This is an archive of millions of webpages.
Does raise the philosophical question about is waybackmachine part of the set of all webpages, so it copies itself.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:23:55, 30/07/20 »
In Chrome, if you right click on a part of the web page that does not contain a link or an image, then you should get an option to "Save as" in the drop down menu. This allows you to save the entire web page, images and all. It will be saved as an html file, with a separate folder for all the images and other stuff that make it work as a web page. When you click on the html file stored locally, it should open in your default web browser as if it were on the original site, linking to the images etc stored in the folder of the same name.

This doesn't seem to work on Edge. Not sure about other browsers.

Thanks Richard. It didn't work for me on Pale Moon browser either, the html file displayed a blank screen.
But not to worry, I didn't like the folders full of what is to me masses of extraneous material, imagine one of them for each of my 103 web pages! I much prefer wysiwyg (to take a leaf out of SteamyTea's book with his acronyms) so I'm going to stick to my dinosaur's way of doing it.

There are a number of software packages that can copy and save webpages, and even whole sites
Webwhacker is the best known, but I am sure free to use alternatives exist.
Then there is always waybackmachine. This is an archive of millions of webpages.

I have used Ezgif.com, a free online converter that changes a web page to .jpg or .png
I didn't use it for my backups in case I wanted to do any editing.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:46:42, 30/07/20 »
I have used Ezgif.com, a free online converter that changes a web page to .jpg or .png
I didn't use it for my backups in case I wanted to do any editing.
why not just use the print screen key on the keyboard. Then paste into just about anything.

I hated WYSIWYG. It never did. Formatting for printing and formatting for viewing are different things, and HTML has a strange default when it comes to screen sizes, it can stretch or shrink the line length depending on screen width/screen resolution.

There should not be a need to backup or copy stuff posted once online, all the backups should be done while you create the page in the first place.

I think in Firefox if you go to File-->Save As, you can save the page, image and structures.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:29:57, 30/07/20 »
On the whole life is too short.  Better to be doing than writing up.  ;) 

On those occasions when I do write up something I use MS word and create a Master document with the words, linked pictures, from a photo sharing site and my local hard drive. Once I have that simple document, I then cut and paste the info into other places to share it.  Such as a trip report here, or on walking highlands, or on a car forum.

Much as I love maps and mapping I don't save many routes as GPX files. I just don't get the point of that one. Too much detail to ever go back and use in the future, for me personally. I do plot pretty much every walk I do, after I have completed it.  Because I enjoy logging the basic stats distance ascent, and weather, time taken and conditions, to compare with the log books I started 45 years ago, on paper, for all my outdoor activities.  But crucially I delete the plots once I have the few bits of data I need from them. Keeping the plots would be like keeping a collection of old magazines, after you have read them.  Sometimes some one else may wish to share one, but your never going to read most of them ever again, so little point.  I keep certain special routes, I have may be 30 saved. But the thousands of others I have plotted over the years are simply logged as a single line on a spread sheet, for comparison, then deleted.

MrsG uses, Photographs logged in the sequence they were taken. That creates a pretty good reminder of any walk.

May be if I had more time on my hands.  But I like to think I would just be out more if that was the case.  O0
« Last Edit: 13:58:00, 30/07/20 by BuzyG »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:34:44, 30/07/20 »
why not just use the print screen key on the keyboard. Then paste into just about anything.

It's only an image, not editable if you feel the need to do so, i.e if you alter the web page, then you make the same change/s to the backup.

I hated WYSIWYG.

It's for dummies like me and 1000s of others who have little knowledge of code.

There should not be a need to backup or copy stuff posted once online, all the backups should be done while you create the page in the first place.

My backups are a belt and braces job just in case the web host goes pear shaped, and it was only recently that I realised I ought to have some.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:52:29, 30/07/20 »
I started with WordPress but I just found it too difficult to grasp, e.g. all of the page numbers always displayed back to front.

Sounds like you were using it in blog form, in which the newest pages are always at the top?

You can use Wordpress as a website instead of a blog:
https://wordpress.com/support/using-wordpress-to-create-a-website/

you can set a static Home page which will be the default page your site always opens on:
https://wordpress.com/learn/bonus-round-get-a-home-page/

and you can even write a book with it:
https://wordpress.com/support/write-a-book/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:16:50, 30/07/20 »
I use a static home page on Wordpress, and am basically treating it as a giant index of all my trip reports on this forum. The links mostly go to this forum, but I am starting to transcribe some TRs onto Wordpress, this will no doubt take some time, very much work in progress, and I'll only do those that I consider to be the most worthwhile. I'm also conscious of the 3GB storage limit - as I already re-size my images to 800 wide, they are typically only 250-300kB each, so no worries for a while! I do re-save my .png maps as .jpg though, about half the file size and still perfectly readable.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Warbler

« Reply #22 on: 15:39:15, 30/07/20 »
Interesting topic.

I’ve been considering recording a lot of my retrospective walks somewhere for some time now, if only for my own reference and to show to friends and family. I even considered writing them up on this forum, but that’s not really its purpose.

I must have attended the same school as pleb – “I wouldnt know how, its all I can do to get pics on here” – I’m not particularly tech savvy. So with that in mind, how difficult is it to set up and update a Wordpress site? Is there much more to it than posting a TR on this forum?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:05:16, 30/07/20 »
Interesting topic.

I’ve been considering recording a lot of my retrospective walks somewhere for some time now, if only for my own reference and to show to friends and family. I even considered writing them up on this forum, but that’s not really its purpose.

I must have attended the same school as pleb – “I wouldnt know how, its all I can do to get pics on here” – I’m not particularly tech savvy. So with that in mind, how difficult is it to set up and update a Wordpress site? Is there much more to it than posting a TR on this forum?

All I can say is give it a go, Warbler. I enjoyed several moments of bafflement and frustration until the penny dropped, but once it does, it all becomes clear.

Just start it as a single page to get you started, then think about adding menus and links etc. Pictures are easy to upload, or you can link from a 3rd party site as you can on this forum.

And remember that nobody will care if you make a mess of it. Other than yourself, that is.  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:13:45, 30/07/20 »
As I understand it, the question is about keeping and/or distributing a diary or blog or whatever about ones walks and interests. I've thought about this in regard to my grandchildren who might, perhaps, one day like to browse accounts of their granddad's adventures. And who knows, they might, because I'd very much like to know much more about my grandparents' lives than I do.

I've been keeping my blog on a forum I run that isn't about walking. However, it is about travel and I figure walking counts as travel - and anyway, it's my forum so I can do what I like!

I know that my blog is only safe so long as I keep paying to have my website hosted. But even if my blog was being stored on some free host (for example, WordPress), I'm afraid that I don't trust internet companies with what must represent hundreds of hours of work. I may be thought paranoid, but I used to invest time and effort making slide-shows and posts in Google+ and they all vanished when Google decided to drop the platform.

So I've been using a website copier called WinHTTrack to keep a complete copy of my website, which of course includes my blog. The copy is on my PC (and a backup drive) and I can browse it just as if it were online. I run WinHTTrack every so often to update the copy (although not often enough!). One advantage of this method is that I can easily put copies of my blog onto optical discs, such as DVDs. Another is that no formatting is required - the copy is an offline website that's identical to the original.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:21:44, 30/07/20 »
Thanks for the tip, Dave.

Warbler

« Reply #26 on: 16:45:11, 30/07/20 »

All I can say is give it a go, Warbler. I enjoyed several moments of bafflement and frustration until the penny dropped, but once it does, it all becomes clear.

Yep, I guess you're right, Richard. I need to take the plunge and see where it takes me. Nothing to lose if it all goes pear shaped.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:32:11, 30/07/20 »

Once you've cracked how to do anything complex to you as a novice, on WordPress or anything else for that matter, make notes on a document of the steps you made, so that you can refer to them the next time you do it.
I only used to add a new page on my site twice a year, which was long enough for me to forget how to do it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:50:20, 30/07/20 »
Oooh er! I didn't realise that I'd be opening what for me is ' can of worms.' I'm going to have to spend some time getting my head around all of your information. In the meantime, although I've actually downloaded some free goes at my 'book' I haven't yet properly understood if I can completely detach them from a particular site so they 'stand-alone' on my PC. For the moment my PDF method is fine but I'll keep looking at information about 'page turns.'

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:33:24, 30/07/20 »
You can make a WP site private if you want, rather than public where everyone in the world could end up seeing it, and if you want to share it with relatives and friends, you just pass them the url (I think it works that way).

If anyone wants their site to be seen by all, WP publicises  it for you but I've read that they're not very good at it. You only get real SEO - search engine optimisation - if you pay for WP.org.
What you need to do is submit your site's details to the major search engines, you'll find how to do this if you do a search, and it helps if your site has a number of hyperlinks to other sites in it.
It will take several weeks but eventually your site should appear in search results. One of mine is always near the top, the family name one sometimes comes up near the top, other times it's way down the list, it isn't helped by an estate agent in the NE with the same name flooding the web with links, while the third one only comes up if I do a quite specific search, so it's unlikely to get any casual visitors.
« Last Edit: 20:48:36, 30/07/20 by fernman »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy