Author Topic: Ping kirbstones, cragster and dizzy. I did it! (Bera Bach/Bera Fawr)  (Read 5100 times)

False_Summit_Veteran

Stuck my shell on my back and made like a snail, slow and steady up and over Aber Falls to Bera Bach for the night.  I only reached the car park at 7ish on Saturday evening, so I didnt have that many hours left to the day and I was struggling up the wrong side of the mountain to get any decent pictures of the sunset, but I more than made up for it with the sunrise.

What did I learn on my first wild camp? 

When you have everything you need for 24 hours in a 60L backpack, your begin to fantasise about how good it would be to only have a fully laiden 25L day trippin' pack.

Dont attempt a scramble on your first trip, no matter how small.

Pitching a tent in failing daylight and a loose hinged head torch can be interesting.

Remember the first aid kit.

But a water filtration kit... and consider a food dehydrator.  6 litres of water and food, although not excessive given the route, is bloody heavy.

I need to sing the praises of whoever it was who mentioned the ASDA packet spaghetti in one of the threads... and the Pepperami lovers!  Carbonara and sausage for breakfast made in an enamel cup on a single burner.  One of the best breakfast's I've had.

Once it gets dark, you are staying put, even if your mind is playing tricks with you.(is that light in the middle distance moving or not?)

Pitching near the summit of a mountain is one of the most inspiring settings I have ever been to in all my walking days.

All in all a wonderful trip, cant wait to do it again some time soon.

Any Moel's a goal.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Quite an adventurous start to your wild camping activities.
Great pics of the cloud inversion - it sort of makes all the hard work worth it doenst it?
Wherever next?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Hey cracking photo's!Looks like a great trip.With regards to the water there's a nice looking water filter/bottle thingymabobber advertised in this month's Trail for £30 which seems quite reasonable and can only imagine how uncomfortable it is carrying 6 litres of food and water.

These pics have got me all excited now, I'm off to Wales tomorrow night alone(YAYYY!!! of course I'll miss the kids but I'll live with it ;D) so I have saturday and sunday to walk wherever I  bloomin well like.Will have to figure out how to post pics and then can do my own reports.

Claire

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Just what IS that yellowish inverted triangle object on top of the square rocks in the last photo?

A distant shot of you on your knees peering over the edge?
A frog?
I really can't make it out!

Skinny Walker

Maybe it is a Transformer,

Crag-or?
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

False_Summit_Veteran

Just what IS that yellowish inverted triangle object on top of the square rocks in the last photo?

A distant shot of you on your knees peering over the edge?
A frog?
I really can't make it out!

A frog?  If it is, it's doing a pretty good impression of a rock from where I'm looking albeit a slightly triangular looking rock.
Any Moel's a goal.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
A frog?  If it is, it's doing a pretty good impression of a rock from where I'm looking albeit a slightly triangular looking rock.

You've got no imagination!!!

False_Summit_Veteran

HFL, a quid bet says my crotchless Batman costume with bespoke utility belt suggests I have just a little imagination.   ;D
Any Moel's a goal.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
HFL, a quid bet says my crotchless Batman costume with bespoke utility belt suggests I have just a little imagination.   ;D

;D ;D ;D :o The mind boggles!

p.s. Do they seell those in millets?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy