Author Topic: Calories - Alternative Sources  (Read 2763 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Calories - Alternative Sources
« on: 13:15:03, 11/12/18 »

I was reviewing my menu's and looking at the source of calories and found that whilst some of the 'Freeze Dried' meals can be as high as 1000Kcals many of them are in the range of 600-700 Kcals, and cost £6 upwards.

I then looked into my 'Snack bag' and saw that the "3 for a £1" (or 39p at Home Bargains) Flapjacks I have are about 500 Kcals each.
http://www.higatesltd.co.uk/walsall-flapjacks.php

I guess it depends if you want a meal that you can feel 'full' afterwards, or just Kcals to keep you going during the day.

What "hi-cal" options have YOU found ?
« Last Edit: 13:23:35, 11/12/18 by alan de enfield »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Calories - Alternative Sources
« Reply #1 on: 13:36:13, 11/12/18 »
I guess I must be doing this walking lark wrong as I never think about things like calories or what food is best for walking. I like tasty food and half the "healthy" walking food that I see doesn't look tasty to me.

I just take whatever I fancy on my walks which usually consists of things like pork pies, sausage rolls, ginsters slices, pies, sandwiches and any other snacky foods that I can pick up on my way or before I start. On LDWs I very often visit a pub for a pub meal or brekkie on my way.

For me, I kinda like the idea of sitting near a summit and taking in the views whilst munching on something I consider tasty, not the overprices "healthy" foods that don't make a bit of difference.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:46:05, 11/12/18 »
Bricam, you are a great human being, you actually echo my daily diet to a T.

I love pork pies and scotch eggs. I often also carry them on my day walks. If I'm stopping out overnight I usually carry a few of those breakfast bars as I no longer cook anything. But I do try and find a pub or a caff for a decent meal, bacon, egg, black pudding, beans etc you know, a decent healthy square meal. ;D ;D
By the way, Yes I have had severe heart problems but since getting the titanium valves fitted, the grease helps lubricate them, I think.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:15:36, 11/12/18 »
I carry the basics, nuts, bars of choccy, some dried fruit, a few wraps and some spreading cheese to get me though the day, I then eat out in the evening. If I have to wild camp and nowhere near a pub or restaurant I just 'make do' food wise and sip brandy or similar from my hip flask!

As for the top of mountains, or other nice locations, I will often carry a container of Ambrosia Rice pudding or custard and eat the lot whilst gazing out on some great view. Wicked!

taxino8

« Reply #4 on: 17:34:54, 11/12/18 »
Ive eaten many Army rations in my life and quite like the new one’s, which are a big improvement on the one’s we were issued in my day but I also enjoy a good sirloin and quite enjoy cooking one out on a hill even though I have to carry a bit more weight.
Whatever takes your fancy I suppose and if carrying a bit more makes your trip more enjoyable then why not.
I always include a good supply of a nice Bordeaux which is on my essential list.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:13:17, 11/12/18 »
I usually camp a night or two so I go light but not obsessively so. Sarnie forffirst lunch, couscous with some chrorizo forftra. Chrese and biscuits. Some trail bars and sweets. Booze.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:35:34, 11/12/18 »

Flapjack is great belly timber. I particularly like the stoats porridge bars -over 200 kcal a shot.

For a bigger meal without the cooking - oatcakes and squirty cheese - a 200g pack of Orkney oatcakes contains around 950 kcal! Kabanos sausages have a high energy density too.
« Last Edit: 19:38:47, 11/12/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:37:52, 11/12/18 »
Same as others. Sarnies, pork pies, sausage rolls and pasties.  Sweet treats tend to be a couple of biscuits and a sweet coffee.  Chocolate bars brought a whole new definition to "hot chocolate" this summer  :D

Low(er) calorie / healthier options include a turkey and coleslaw wrap (surprisingly filling) and chopped up fruit and nuts in a tub (tangerines, apples, grapes, mixed nuts) rather than trail mix dried fruit stuff. This stuff can sit in a rucksack for a couple of days without going off.... mebby not in the summer we've just had though... but in normal British weather...

If I wildcamped I'd probably take those packets of pasta n sauce type things and some cured meat for a main meal and a pashwari naan for pudding.

A cafe or pub should NEVER be passed without entering and sampling it's wares!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:41:13, 11/12/18 »
If I wildcamped I'd probably take those packets of pasta n sauce type things and some cured meat for a main meal and a pashwari naan for pudding.

I had a pasta sauce type meal this summer whilst wild camping - utterly revolting. So bad that I vowed to not bother taking the stove on my next overnighter.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:43:19, 11/12/18 »

As for the top of mountains, or other nice locations, I will often carry a container of Ambrosia Rice pudding or custard and eat the lot whilst gazing out on some great view. Wicked!

Many years ago I was in the habit of taking a tin of mandarins. Great draining the juice straight down on a hot day.
« Last Edit: 22:36:06, 11/12/18 by richardh1905 »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:48:45, 11/12/18 »

I had a pasta sauce type meal this summer whilst wild camping - utterly revolting.

Ahh, now. You see.  I like them and often take them to work for lunch, particularly the cheese and broccoli ones  :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:34:17, 11/12/18 »

I had a pasta sauce type meal this summer whilst wild camping - utterly revolting.

Used one of these on a mountain marathon way back (about 1993 I think). I was famished at the overnight camp but all I could manage was one spoonful, threw the rest away. tasted like hot salty mush, disgusting.

For short one/two night trips I tend to take dry pasta, some veg and a ready made sauce maybe some salami or a very small tin of fish to add in. For longer trips I think it's worth spending a bit more and getting some of the better freeze dry meals - they tend to have some real meat in and less soya and MSG. 

My snack tastes have changed I used to take a lot sweet stuff, home made flapjacks, biscuits etc. But, I found i was getting too much of a sugar rush followed by an energy slump. I tried rye bread but didn't get on with that so I now take oatcake and squeegee cheese and just a small bit of flapjack. On short day walks I often don't bother eating or just take a  biscuit bar and water or lemon tea. Couldn't face pork pies, sausages or pasties they sit far to heavily on the stomach.   
« Last Edit: 20:55:42, 11/12/18 by Owen »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:52:33, 11/12/18 »
Could face pork pies, sausages or pasties they sit far to heavily on the stomach.   
Don't buy the factory made kind.  We have a butchers that make their own pork pies and a deli that sells home made Devon pasties and pork pies made from top quality meat so a lot less grease.  The pasties are especially good, no air gaps inside at all and a crisp light pastry - blast, now I've got drool on my keyboard.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:53:30, 11/12/18 »

. Could face pork pies, sausages or pasties they sit far to heavily on the stomach.   

I find that 'a heavy' lunch gives me 'stitch' unless I sit and wait for at least an hour before setting off.

Porridge & a cup-of-tea for breakfast.
A Cup-A-Soup (or maybe a 'pasta snack-pot') and a flapjack for lunch, then maybe another flapjack / small bar of chocolate for "3 O' clock's".
Big meal is after finishing for the day.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:57:41, 11/12/18 »
Sorry that should have read "Couldn't face" I've corrected it now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy