Author Topic: Cairngorms Weather  (Read 1680 times)

myxpyr

Cairngorms Weather
« on: 20:01:37, 16/07/19 »
Hi folks, just wondered if some kind soul could give me some idea about the "normal" weather patterns encountered in the Cairngorms between mid/late july and mid Seoptember.
Thanks

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Cairngorms Weather
« Reply #1 on: 20:20:26, 16/07/19 »
Very difficult one to answer, it's prity much as other upland areas of the UK. Could be warm and humid or it could be wet and windy. If it's the former it will be midgy.

It's been warm, humid and midgy for the last couple of weeks but is forecast to get a bit wetter over the weekend.

Don't normally get snow until around the end of September, even when it does fall it won't settle for long. :)

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 20:33:15, 16/07/19 »
Very difficult one to answer, it's prity much as other upland areas of the UK. Could be warm and humid or it could be wet and windy...
Thanks. Was planning on taking a midge net. I sometimes wish I still indulged in a pipeful of baccy. I used to find that was a help as well as being therapeutic both on the hill and in the pub afterwards. ;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:41:58, 16/07/19 »
A late friend of mine swore by using a pipe to drive off midges. It didn’t do him too much harm as he lived to be 89 and was till in he hills into his 80s. However, a friend of his lived to be 101 and didn’t smoke, but they did have to decide that at 90 camping in the Alps was now beyond him.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #4 on: 16:36:52, 17/07/19 »
I seem to recall someone saying that you can get all 4 seasons types of weather in one day in the Cairngorms. I have limited experience myself but on Braeriach a few weeks ago I needed all 5 layers on! Conditions were best described as "atrocious".
Dave

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:34:47, 17/07/19 »
I have experienced 4 seasons in one day in Snowdonia, the Lake District and several areas of Scotland (not just the Cairngorms). Weather is hard to predict in this area of Scotland. I have seen it be almost 20 C in January and freezing cold in the middle of the year. Rain is never too far away in the Scottish hills. A useful weather forecasting tip is: If you cannot see the tops of the hills, it is raining. If you can see the tops of the hills, it is going to rain. At that time of year, if it is not raining the midges will be out looking for blood, but he Cairngorms are pretty windy and that can be a help. As we have only 2 seasons (light winter and dark winter) it is best to come prepared for all weathers. You won’t need so much insulation at this time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:18:23, 19/07/19 »
I seem to recall someone saying that you can get all 4 seasons types of weather in one day in the Cairngorms. I have limited experience myself but on Braeriach a few weeks ago I needed all 5 layers on! Conditions were best described as "atrocious".
Dave

I was wandering over the top of Braeriach in a T shirt a few weeks ago!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy