Author Topic: Boot query. Can someone advise please?  (Read 1926 times)

snowyfox

Boot query. Can someone advise please?
« on: 12:10:35, 08/05/19 »

Hi, I am a newbie, so please be gentle with me...!

Over the past few years I have got through three pairs of Merrell Siren Sports and absolutely love them. They have taken me mainly through low level countryside, road and also some of the SWCP. We are not talking huge miles or tough terrain at all but they have served me well and never had a problem.

My current Merrell's are coming to the end of their life and during my last trip to Cornwall I felt I should perhaps upgrade to a mid-boot to cover more varied terrain.

After some deliberation, I bought the Salomon Ultra Mid 3 GTX boot as the reviews were very impressive. They were comfortable from the outset, but I was gradually getting numb big toes so loosened them off a bit. I then found on the next trip the pressure on the balls of my feet, and the numb toes still niggling in the background. I also noticed some knee pain. I persevered as I assumed they were bedding in but on my last walk (we are only talking about 5 miles a time so not much at all), my knees were really giving me jip.

I've never had this with my Merrells even from the outset. They have a Vibram sole so perhaps that's just better suited to me. I am so disappointed as I really really want to love my new boots but am reluctant to wear them and have gone back to my tatty Merrells today to stop the knee pain.

I can only assume that my gait is not compatible with this particular Salomon boot  :-[ . Has anyone found this to be a problem, and might different insoles be a solution?

I have spoken with the retailer who have said they won't exchange them for an alternative as they have been worn outside and it's not a quality problem which I fully appreciate. After many happy years with my Merrells, I don't want to be lumbered with a boot which isn't giving me a good experience.

Any recommendations as to what I can do to get along with these boots as at the moment we are not a happy match.

Sorry for the rambling post and thank you for bearing with me  :)

Vanessa

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Boot query. Can someone advise please?
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:23, 08/05/19 »
I have a pair of Salomon Ultra 3s and have found them to be supremely comfortable, I walked about 180 miles recently, no problems at all.  I'm still waiting to test their GTX qualities but it hasn't rained in all the while I've been using them yet.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:05:30, 08/05/19 »
Generally speaking, Merrells have a quite wide toebox that is well suited to British feet and very good underfoot cushioning. Salomons tend more to the continental style of a narrower toebox - though not as narrow as some other brands - and cushioning that is quite good but not as good as Merrells in my experience.

The knee pain is a puzzle, I wouldn't have thought footwear in itself could cause that in such a short time and distance. Maybe you were walking awkwardly due to the numb big toes, your gait will adjust automatically to compensate for local discomfort. So many factors could be involved like the overall fit, tightness of lacing, the drop of the boot etc.

Are you using the footbeds that came with them?. The supplied ones are almost always crap and allow the heel to flatten, I always replace them with Superfeet footbeds that hold the heel in the correct position in its natural cupped shape. There are several variants, I use the Superfeet Trailblazers. They are definitely worth using anyway and might make a difference in your case.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:33:13, 08/05/19 »
I've just replaced the insoles in my Salomon boots with Sorbothane double strikes as I was getting sole pain after around ten miles, immediate difference.  I'd used them previously but hadn't bothered in my Salomon boots but glad I now have  O0
Where there's a will ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:38:23, 08/05/19 »
If you like Merrell boots, perhaps the Merrell MOAB mid boot would suit you. I have a pair of these and they have been very comfortable in the hills. I also have Altberg Tethera boots for rougher conditions.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:51:07, 08/05/19 »
Re. the numbness... My suggestion is experiment with different lacing techniques and different insoles if you're not ready to chalk this pair up to experience and fork out for some more "old faithfuls" just yet.

snowyfox

« Reply #6 on: 11:52:14, 09/05/19 »

Many thanks for your replies which are most helpful.

This all makes perfect sense and your suggestions are very much appreciated. I shall certainly experiment with the tweaks and adjustments, and shall most definitely whip out the insoles in favour of the Sorbothane or Superfeet.

I believe the main adjustment I need to make is to have more patience and realise that all boots are not made equal....  O0 

El Principe

« Reply #7 on: 23:12:02, 26/05/19 »
Salomon tend to have more support than merrells in my experience, though the latter may feel more cushy.

Like the others have said, salomons also tend to run narrow. Both brands are usually pretty quick to break in, but merrell probably quicker IMO.

Therefore,

1. Numbess could be, and often is, caused by tightness up front. This may get better as you break in the boot and the materials loosen up. Be careful not to overtighten. Sounds obvious, but I remember doing this once when taking out a brand new pair of running shoes and both feet went numb.

2. Knee pain can be a worrying sign, but it could be that with the firm support of a new boot, you're actually underpronating. That can cause aches and pains. But again, boots tend to soften with use and as you break them in.

I guess the best advice I can offer is to continue using them to see if they improve. Always follow the golden rule though: if a pain stays the same or improves, continue; if it gets worse, stop.

I actually have two pairs of boots; one merrell, the other salomon, and I like them both. Nothing fundamentally incompatible about the two fits that I've found!

El Principe

« Reply #8 on: 23:16:32, 26/05/19 »
Oh and as far as insoles go, I hate them, at least 99% of the heavy, thick ones that pass off as "performance" insoles on the market today.

IMO they add too much weight and change the way your foot sits in the shoe (raises the heel, arch, etc etc).

An insole should never be a substitute for a good shoe or boot, only a replacement for when the stock insole flattens or wears out.

Personally the only insole I would ever use in a pair of performance shoes, other than a lightweight ortholite replacement for the stock one, is the Spenco Polysorb Ultralite. Weights very little, is soft memory foam, with a small amount of gel cushion added to the heel and forefoot. Hard to come by these days though.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:57:44, 27/05/19 »
I always use inserts, Sorbothane in my case, but I do take your point. The Salomon inserts that come standard in my boots are very good. When I last hiked, to relieve the pressure on my heels I tended to wear the Salomon inserts in the morning and the Sorbothanes at some later point in the day. I've found by experience that getting my boots on easily, when I appear from my tent first thing in the morning, is often difficult so the Salomon inserts help me a lot, more space in my boot to slide my feet in easily. As I walk I get to a point where I want more internal grip and the Sorbothanes fill the gap very well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy