Author Topic: Ivescar Ingleton death  (Read 2888 times)

Steveandsam

Ivescar Ingleton death
« on: 18:02:34, 31/05/20 »
Can't say I know this area at all, so sad to see another death related to cows, whether it's stampede or crush. The victim involveds wife airlifted to hospital,... Is it me or is this becoming more and more a hazard... In this case, have the livestock become used to non human interaction for a significant period. My heart goes out to the victims family, just out enjoying a wee break from this nightmare and then this happens.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Ivescar Ingleton death
« Reply #1 on: 19:05:32, 31/05/20 »
Can't say I know this area at all, so sad to see another death related to cows, whether it's stampede or crush. The victim involveds wife airlifted to hospital,... Is it me or is this becoming more and more a hazard... In this case, have the livestock become used to non human interaction for a significant period. My heart goes out to the victims family, just out enjoying a wee break from this nightmare and then this happens.
Tragic.  But still rare thing. Crossing the road is likely more dangerous.

I was stood less than 8 feet from a herd today on the moor mums and their calf's. they didn't bat an eyelid , happy to let me take photos. 

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:04:57, 31/05/20 »
My last trip up into the Cheviots had me nearly panicking, several cows blocking the path with an obvious 'leader' who decided to advance towards me bringing  the others and several more with it.  Shouting at it and trying to make myself look as large as possible had no effect and they still advanced.  Deciding discretion the better part of valour I backed up slowly to where I had at least a slender tree between me and the leader, I then decided to give the rucksack chest strap whistle a blast, this stopped them in their tracks, another couple of blasts had some of the outlayers turning to run and a very loud long blast persuaded several more to turn and run  and the 'leader' too.  Siezing the opportunity I hastily made my way down to the fenceline to at least give myself another option of escape should I need it.

I can honestly say that this was the first time I have ever seen a herd react the way they did to my 'intrusion', it wasn't curiosity from the leader but an attitude of defiance, panicking and running could have probably exacerbated the situation  and been a big mistake to make, but recognising the danger and reacting in a measured, calmish way seemed to work out for the best.

I don't mind admitting I was scared and it is the first time I have ever felt that way around livestock.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:13:21, 31/05/20 »

Yes I agree with all what you say .
This Is tragic ,And so very sad .
Such an awful thing to happen .
I feel for the deceased and his Immediate Family .

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:52:53, 31/05/20 »
Just read about it. After seeing a bullock head butt a strand of barbed wire three times two days ago, I'm glad I was on the other side of it and had the gumption to get out of the way. I went past the same herd this morning, no problem, they were all lying down in the hot sun. It made me remember that when I walked the 120km Stevenson Way in France a while ago there was only one very short stretch between two gates where I had to share my personal space with theirs. Every other place I walked when cows were around I was protected by either barbed wire or an electric fence.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:43:34, 31/05/20 »
My husband thinks I'm silly to be worried about cows.    So I'm telling him "Told you so"

We've walked there several times, we use those paths through Ivescar whenever we go up Whernside.

Really sorry for the man and his wife.  What a terrible experience for her.  Not only has she taken a beating herself, she has lost her husband.  Terrible news
I wonder how the farmer feels about it? 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:45:20, 31/05/20 »
Sad news.  It seems yet again a dog was an issue,
We were out on the Ridge and Valley Way today when we met a herd of young but virtually full grown bullocks that were obstructing the way out of the field we were in. They reacted to our presence in a way that Mrs N, who does not like cows, interpreted as aggressive and I read as curious.  They ran towards us to see what we were about which actually freed up the way out of the field.  Mrs N was all for legging it but I managed to persuade her to stand her ground.  Sure enough they formed a manageable, albeit unfriendly looking, group round us that we could walk through to leave the field without incident.  Had we had a dog with us and less experience with stock, I suspect we would have had more of a problem.
 If you have a dog with you, it is natural for cows to react to it aggressively and for the owner to want to protect the dog.  This can be aggravated if the dog is not used to stock and reacts accordingly.  Stock, especially with young, and house dogs are rarely a good mix and once it starts to go wrong, a lead or picking the dog up only serve to make things worse.
Solvitur Ambulando

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:54:29, 31/05/20 »
Sad news.  It seems yet again a dog was an issue,
How do you know there was a dog involved ninthace?  I thought there might be, but couldn't see anything on the news report?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:08:00, 01/06/20 »
How do you know there was a dog involved ninthace?  I thought there might be, but couldn't see anything on the news report?
I implied it from the last line of https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cows-attack-death-yorkshire-ivescar-ingleton-a9541406.html

See also
http://www.richmondshiretoday.co.uk/man-dies-after-being-trampled-by-cows-in-yorkshire-dales/
Solvitur Ambulando

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:51:41, 01/06/20 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 01:15:14, 01/06/20 »

Thanks.  I feel happier knowing that it was dogs that the cows were probably going for, not the people. O0
I won’t say they don’t but I have never had it happen to me and I have not heard of it happening to a walker under normal circumstances.  It may be a question of interpretation though, as per our experience today.  What may be regarded as friskiness or curiosity by some walkers could be seen as an attack by others and if you run, so will they.  They can certainly get close and young cows can be quite boisterous. 
Cows with young are another matter and I certainly would not go anywhere near them with a dog.  However, they usually make their feelings known so if you give them room or back off when they tell you to, you should be fine.  I find if you need to go where cows are you can drive them gently and they will usually shift, though on occasion shift has become shove to get the odd one out of the way!
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:04:56, 01/06/20 »
Tragic.  But still rare thing. Crossing the road is likely more dangerous.

I was stood less than 8 feet from a herd today on the moor mums and their calf's. they didn't bat an eyelid , happy to let me take photos.

Why do you think crossing the road is likely more dangerous?

There were 456 pedestrian road deaths in 2018. I don't know how many road crossings there were, but I'd guess it was in the order of hundreds of millions.

Neither do I know how many field crossings were made by walkers, or deaths there were while doing so.

However, I do know that in order to make claims about the relative danger, the appropriate data would be required.

When it comes to anecdotes, uneventful encounters with cattle are probably far more likely than dangerous ones - especially on moorland. Likelihood of injury or death increases with the number of encounters.

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #12 on: 09:12:18, 01/06/20 »
I've been chased a couple of times by cows whilst out walking (without a dog) and I'm now very wary of them.   

On one occasion I was walking through some fields near Kirkby Lonsdale and, as I climbed over the ladder stile, I checked the field for any signs of cows.  I didn't see any, so thought it was OK to cross the field.  It was only when I got to the brow of the hill that I noticed about 20 cows to the left of me.  They spotted me and ran towards me en masse.    Running may have been the wrong thing to do, but when faced with 20 cows running at me, my instincts kicked in and I ran as quickly as I could to the gate.  Fortunately I escaped unharmed.

There some interesting reports on this website (https://killercows.co.uk/) including one from April and Beefy when they encountered some aggressive cattle in the North Lakes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:25:14, 01/06/20 »
I've been chased a couple of times by cows whilst out walking (without a dog) and I'm now very wary of them.   

On one occasion I was walking through some fields near Kirkby Lonsdale and, as I climbed over the ladder stile, I checked the field for any signs of cows.  I didn't see any, so thought it was OK to cross the field.  It was only when I got to the brow of the hill that I noticed about 20 cows to the left of me.  They spotted me and ran towards me en masse.    Running may have been the wrong thing to do, but when faced with 20 cows running at me, my instincts kicked in and I ran as quickly as I could to the gate.  Fortunately I escaped unharmed.

There some interesting reports on this website (https://killercows.co.uk/) including one from April and Beefy when they encountered some aggressive cattle in the North Lakes.
You are right. Running is not usually a good idea.  Cows without calves are not especially territorial so they are not trying to drive you away and they can run faster than you and if you trip.... 
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:40:34, 01/06/20 »
This is really sad news  :(

The poor woman losing her husband in these circumstances.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy