Author Topic: How Not to Wild Camp  (Read 11128 times)

Lakeland Lorry

How Not to Wild Camp
« on: 08:51:02, 23/08/17 »
http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2017/08/22/reminder-wild-camp-love-lakes-leave-no-trace/

Sadly, this is becoming an all too familiar sight in the Lake District.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: How Not to Wild Camp
« Reply #1 on: 09:43:57, 23/08/17 »
Is it photo true though? It looks very staged to me. The camera never lies, or does it? Where is the owner, would he or she just walk away from a tent, 'just like that'? If the person who owns the tent was just 'taken away' or is being 'distracted' out of the photo area, maybe he or she has not had the the opportunity yet to clear up? At the moment I don't believe what I see or what I read, but I do accept it that given more information it might prove to be true?

Could be looked at another way? If it is true it could just reflect the attitude that exists in every corner of the country (in cities, villages and towns as well) that rubbish is something that you just drop on the ground and walk away!

If this was a story in one of the morning nationals I read I suspect we be told that 'Travellers' did it!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:48:07, 23/08/17 »
Sorry, one last view. I hike in the Lakes, obviously not as much as some people and I can honestly say I have never seen anything like this. I accept that your personal experience may be very different? All I've ever seen is the usual, empty cans, chocolate wrappers, ciggy packs and so on, the stuff I routinely see everywhere I go!

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #3 on: 09:52:38, 23/08/17 »
I believe that it's a true photo.   In fact, I've come across things like this many times in the Lakes, and not just in the Valleys.

A few years ago I was sent up to Blackbeck Tarn, between the back of Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks, to check out reports of an abandoned tent.   We not only found the tent, but we also managed to fill two large black bin liners full of rubbish that they had left behind, which included bottles and tins that someone had thrown onto the fire, jacket potatoes wrapped in tinfoil chucked into the bracken.   Also buried underneath a pile of stones, like a cairn, was a metal BBQ base and half a bag of charcoal briquettes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:08:07, 23/08/17 »
I run off road in my local area, part of my route is along some narrow tarmacked roads, I've seen loads of rubbish along the route over the past few years. Yesterday, someone had dumped a double bed mattress the night before, on a piece of flat grass on a bend in the road. It wasn't there previously.

I can accept that its possible that we can all 'believe' that a photo can be true, but in this instance is it? How would we know?

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #5 on: 10:19:46, 23/08/17 »
I run off road in my local area, part of my route is along some narrow tarmacked roads, I've seen loads of rubbish along the route over the past few years. Yesterday, someone had dumped a double bed mattress the night before, on a piece of flat grass on a bend in the road. It wasn't there previously.

I can accept that its possible that we can all 'believe' that a photo can be true, but in this instance is it? How would we know?

This isn't anything to do with fly-tipping, this is people abandoning tents and rubbish either on the side of a lake, or on the fells.   

In my role as a Voluntary Ranger for the Lake District National Park I have seen images like this many, many times.   So, even if this photo isn't true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then I've seen things like this with my own eyes.   The situation has become worse over the years, probably because wild camping is becoming more popular.   There are known spots around the Park where we continually discover rubbish and fire-pits which have been left behind by irresponsible campers.   These are the sort of people who give genuine wild campers a bad name.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:33:57, 23/08/17 »

Yeeuch!  You wonder what they are thinking. 
But I suppose thinking is just what they aren't doing.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:00:00, 23/08/17 »
Utterly disgusted at the total lack of respect that these people have,  >:(
I feel guilty now for posting trip reports of wild camping,  :-\
The work that voluntary rangers like LL
do is invaluable to the national park, it must be sickening to encounter things like this in such a beautiful place, thanks for clearing it up,
 Wild camping, which is camping with a landowner’s permission and not in organised campsite, is all about not being noticed. That means setting up camp away from your car, a grass verge or water and usually high on a hill. Wild campers should take all their litter away, bury their ‘business’, not light fires and only stay a night to avoid disturbing wildlife and to allow the ground to recover.

The biggest problem with wild camping is knowing who the land belongs to, to ask for permission,    :-\
I think most people respect the place and look after it, just a few mindless morons spoil t for everyone  :(

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

buntonn

« Reply #8 on: 14:30:02, 23/08/17 »
I saw that on Facebook earlier today,  :o >:(   I cannot believe people would leave that mess anywhere let alone such a beautiful place. I bet they would leave that lying in their garden so why anywhere else...

When I was in the lakes in June a friend asked me if I objected to him leaving his banana skin behind as it's biodegradable, damn [censored] right I objected!! I said to him do you realise how long it takes and that the skin can be used for renewable energy. He said the birds would eat it, I said how would you feel if someone left one on your driveway at home, now take off the hill what you bring on. Nothing further was said and he put his banana skin in his bag  O0
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:30:46, 23/08/17 »
Well Mr Buntonn, you obviously don't know the gardens that I know! Old cars, nappies, little black bags of dog poo, old TV's, broken coffee tables, the list could go on and on! I hate litter, its so quickly ruins an area, and I'm not just writing about the middle classes. As to what to do about it? Dunno! Also, have you seen the state of some farmyards, I just don't know how they get away with it!

If you want to see  'hidden' litter on a hike, just look in the gaps in dry stone walls near to gates and stiles. Natural resting places for some hikers, have a Kit Kat, where shall I put the wrapping, Oh yes, stuff it into a hole in the wall. It evidently for wipes as well, often nearby stones are used to cover other things.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:48:29, 24/08/17 »
Dare i say it, but the people who caused this mess, are not true walkers.
I would hazard a guess, that the majority of litter strewn up and down the slopes of Snowdon, are left by the casual visitor, who will probably be doing it for the first time, and also the last.

Those of us who regularly head into the mountains, cannot comprehend why others choose to drop litter, especially plastic bottles, its so easy to take them home, and to highlight this fact, how much litter does one see in the Carneddau.

Its rare to see any litter, however small, in that area of Northern Snowdonia, simply because it takes a committed walker several hours to venture anywhere near their summits, its no place for a casual novice looking for somewhere to while away the hours.

Snowdon on the other hand, has been voted the busiest mountain in the entire Uk, bringing with it, countless thousands of people who would never venture near a mountain, but because its the highest thing south of Scotland, its a magnet.

Its something that has to be done, to boast to your friends at work, and for most of them, its a once in a lifetime adventure, hence the total disregard for their environment.

They see nothing wrong with throwing litter from their car window, or dropping a fag end in the street, so why should Snowdonia be different.

With the multitude, come the members of the public, who have no regard for their environment ,at home and in the hills., they are the ones causing the litter problem.

True wild campers would never leave their overnight stay, in such a mess, but i do agree, the photograph looks almost staged, to highlight the problems of those who despoil our environment.
« Last Edit: 11:01:31, 24/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:42:07, 25/08/17 »
 This mess has not been caused by wild campers.My money would be on East European alcoholics/drug addicts who are too tight to pay for proper accommadation or local yobs out for a **** up.Where I live we have had a quite a few problems with several East European undesirables causing a similar mess on wildlife parks.Before anyone calls me a racist I will point out that I am part East European myself but find the attitude of those who arrived after 2004 to be a disgrace.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:05:07, 25/08/17 »
Sorry, but I have no idea what a 'true walker' is?

Mr. Tonyk, I presume you wrote 'This mess has not (NOT?) been caused by wild campers', as an amusing tease?

'Too tight to pay for proper accommodation', I'm like that, I pay for sites and I wild camp, but if I can get a free night I'm happy, so I take the view you are also writing about people me as well, and I originate from Kent! It seems to me to be a bit negative to look at a photo and come to the conclusion it might be East European alcoholics/drug addicts? Why can't it be caused by a good old fashioned hedgepoker like me? 'Undesirables' that's an interesting word, what word was used before that insult started to be used, was it 'lowlife' or was it 'underclass', I just can't remember? And just because you are part East European yourself cannot exclude you from possibly being a racist. Even I, as a person from a Romany background can't use my background to suggest that I can't be racist and in any case how would we define a racist anyway?

I cannot see how you can come to your conclusions based on one photo, although to be fair I too came to the conclusion that the the photo might (only might!) have been specially set up by a local, a journalist or by someone else, a Tory perhaps! :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:57:02, 25/08/17 »
A true walker, is someone who is as one with their environment, respects nature, in all its wonderful aspects, and would rather walk a significant distance in search of a litter bin, than discard it, hoping nobody will find it.

In all my many years as a walker, both in the Brecon Beacons and here in Snowdonia, i have never dropped any litter, however small, and have never unknowingly caused any wanton damage to a farmer or land owners property.
On more than one occasion i have upset park wardens and other members of the public , by collecting litter without the necessary gloves or right clothing, that's the politically correct mumbo jumbo nonsense, that's not me, if there's a manageable amount of litter waiting to be picked up, i will endeavour to clear it, if i have a bag, or similar item at my disposal.

I can remember one family picnicking at Crummock water some years ago, that i really had a go at, for dropping their litter, (both father and younger child), and the father feeling embarrassed, became physical and tried to have a go at me, he knew he was in the wrong, but did not like me drawing his attention to it.

Its either my age, or the way i have been brought up, the dropping of any litter, is totally alien to me, and i am not afraid to voice my opinion when i see others deliberately disguarding their litter.

The litter problem along the llanberis path up Snowdon, is totally unnecessary, and a affront on nature, and saddens me, what can we do, when mountain path traffic is becoming a serious issue.

A true walker in my opinion, is someone who only leaves their footprints, and fond memories behind them.
« Last Edit: 21:07:25, 25/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:37:46, 26/08/17 »
Sorry, but I have no idea what a 'true walker' is?

Mr. Tonyk, I presume you wrote 'This mess has not (NOT?) been caused by wild campers', as an amusing tease?

'Too tight to pay for proper accommodation', I'm like that, I pay for sites and I wild camp, but if I can get a free night I'm happy, so I take the view you are also writing about people me as well, and I originate from Kent! It seems to me to be a bit negative to look at a photo and come to the conclusion it might be East European alcoholics/drug addicts? Why can't it be caused by a good old fashioned hedgepoker like me? 'Undesirables' that's an interesting word, what word was used before that insult started to be used, was it 'lowlife' or was it 'underclass', I just can't remember? And just because you are part East European yourself cannot exclude you from possibly being a racist. Even I, as a person from a Romany background can't use my background to suggest that I can't be racist and in any case how would we define a racist anyway?

I cannot see how you can come to your conclusions based on one photo, although to be fair I too came to the conclusion that the the photo might (only might!) have been specially set up by a local, a journalist or by someone else, a Tory perhaps! :)

There is enough evidence to back up what I am saying.This problem is prolific in the Peterborough area where Poles and other East Europeans have set up camp on the banks of the Nene and eaten the local wildlife.To be honest I don't really have a problem when it comes to being racist in respect of East Europeans,especially Poles,as they tend to be some of the biggest racists going.Check out their response to welcoming Syrian "refugees".And the Hungarians are hardly a model for EU liberal values.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/7506182/Immigrants-blamed-for-pillaging-fish-and-swans-from-river.html

Where I live in Leicester we have also had problems with Poles sleeping rough on local wildlife parks and leaving an appalling mess when they leave.Note that I also said "local yobs".Sadly we have imported other nations dross into this country courtesy of Blair opening the borders to all and sundry.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy