Author Topic: Scale Bridge path -> Cat Crag path ??  (Read 1045 times)

buntonn

Scale Bridge path -> Cat Crag path ??
« on: 19:38:26, 18/05/17 »
I am trying to plan a route in ViewRanger to match what I have seen in a magazine, their start takes me from NY 214 013 at Brotherilkeld. I am following a marked path on the OS map over the FB and then unto Scale Bridge, but now it seems I want to be on the path to the left going between Cat Crag and Horn Crag. Does anyone know the are well to advise if I can walk from Scale Bridge to Cat Crag to get on the other path? Or do I need to adjust the start to go along the road to roughly NY 202 008 and start that path there?

Thank you
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Scale Bridge path -> Cat Crag path ??
« Reply #1 on: 23:53:48, 18/05/17 »
This map from Sean McMahon's Striding Edge site shows the route in more detail, although he descending to Scale Bridge not ascending.

http://www.stridingedge.net/walks/5159/
Hate will never win

buntonn

« Reply #2 on: 07:41:05, 19/05/17 »
Thanks April, I can now see that faint line he took and will now redo my route and I don't have to walk along a road at the beginning.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #3 on: 12:58:00, 19/05/17 »
It's worthwhile remembering when looking at OS maps that the green rights of way, both footpaths and bridleways, may not actually exist on the ground.    What you should actually be following are the faint black dotted lines, shown on the OS Map legend as 'Path on the Ground' as these paths will be the ones that you'll see for real.

If you look at the area around Scale Bridge, on the map, you'll see the dotted black line about 100 meters south of the bridge and how it snakes up hill a bit towards Scale Gill, before branching off to meet the right of way coming up from Wha House Farm.

I teach navigation in the Lakes and most of my students are surprised when they learn about the black dotted lines, as they automatically assume that they'll be following the green rights of way.   Once they know this fact, navigation in the Lakes becomes a lot easier.

buntonn

« Reply #4 on: 13:17:02, 19/05/17 »
It's worthwhile remembering when looking at OS maps that the green rights of way, both footpaths and bridleways, may not actually exist on the ground.    What you should actually be following are the faint black dotted lines, shown on the OS Map legend as 'Path on the Ground' as these paths will be the ones that you'll see for real.

If you look at the area around Scale Bridge, on the map, you'll see the dotted black line about 100 meters south of the bridge and how it snakes up hill a bit towards Scale Gill, before branching off to meet the right of way coming up from Wha House Farm.

I teach navigation in the Lakes and most of my students are surprised when they learn about the black dotted lines, as they automatically assume that they'll be following the green rights of way.   Once they know this fact, navigation in the Lakes becomes a lot easier.

Thank you very much for pointing that out, I did not know that and was mostly sticking the the green dashed lines. I am actually on a navigation course up there two weeks tomorrow so I should learn more then too. Really appreciate you telling he this, will help loads in my planning  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:19:05, 19/05/17 »
 + 1 for what Lakeland Lorry said, some of the green rights of way marked on the maps are a bit "interesting"  :) Sometimes the green and black marks are together but mostly not.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy