Author Topic: TR - Pennine Way  (Read 13118 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Pennine Way
« Reply #45 on: 16:43:46, 15/09/20 »
We actually stayed there 33 years ago when our daughter was a baby and we walked with her in a backpack. We went back a few years later with our son as well. So we had to stay there when walking the Pennine Way! I don’t think it had changed much in those years, certainly needs updating, but it was at least clean which is the main thing.

I stayed there on my last PW trip, reviews were mixed so I was a bit concerned but found it clean and the staff friendly, would certainly use it again  O0
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 16:53:31, 15/09/20 »

I stayed there on my last PW trip, reviews were mixed so I was a bit concerned but found it clean and the staff friendly, would certainly use it again  O0
The group we met in the lounge stay there regularly and talked about being in the good rooms (in the house) or not (in the converted barn). We were in the final room in the barn and it was clean-ish but felt a bit damp. The whole place just felt tired.
The older man, who we met in the evening, was very pleasant. The younger one at breakfast felt a bit stressed.
I would stay there again but it wouldn't be on my list of 'must stay' places.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 16:54:53, 15/09/20 »

We just managed to get to the fish and chip shop in Hawes before they closed.

Think I'd be gutted if I ever got to Hawes and found that shut, it's my 'go to' place for food  :)

This was the only youth hostel which was open on the whole route. It was very strange to be there and socially distancing as they are normally such sociable places. I wonder if we missed out a little on the camaraderie on the walk.

Last time I was there it was full of support for those doing the Spine event, and of course the Spiners themselves. Difficult to imagine it with folks social distancing  :-\
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 17:15:40, 15/09/20 »
Think I'd be gutted if I ever got to Hawes and found that shut, it's my 'go to' place for food  :)
They are good. It was only about to shut after the lunchtime opening and our plan had been to eat from there in the evening but as it was cold and windy we pushed on. Only takeaway due to covid, we found a bench up towards the YH and ate out of the paper in the fresh air. The only way to do it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 18:08:26, 15/09/20 »
That wasn’t the day you met up with April and beefy was it?  ;D

No, some other strange forum people.

We were a few days later  ;D

More lovely pics Ridge, never been to the Ribbleshead area or the Y3P's, must go at some point  :)
15.44 miles....."With not a huge distance to walk today we pressed on rather than stopping for lunch"  :o

We would have had at least 2 lunches doing that distance  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 18:26:46, 15/09/20 »
Thanks April
I think our view of distance got a bit skewed on the trip, normally that would be a full day but suddenly we were saying 'not far today only 15 miles'.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 19:25:59, 15/09/20 »
I think our view of distance got a bit skewed on the trip, normally that would be a full day but suddenly we were saying 'not far today only 15 miles'.

The PW does that to you  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 20:15:11, 15/09/20 »
DAY 8 – 30th August 2020
Hawes to Tan Hill
19.29 miles 51.05km
8.55am to 4.20pm

Another dry day with high cloud and a gentle breeze.

Amazing views from Great Shunner Fell.

On the way down we met a Dad with 2 boys both of whom appeared to be sulking, one by striding out miles ahead while the other trailed way behind.

We stopped in Thwaite for lemonade and ice-cream sat in the sunshine and then paused for our cake and apple lunch. Yes we had slipped in to an Enid Blyton story.

We met a couple who were having 3 days camping over the weekend and then were off on the Southern Upland Way in a few weeks. They were toiling up the hill with large rucksacks and I was so pleased not to be camping on this trip, we wished them well.
Topping up our water at Catrake Force, there were a number of families enjoying the sun, one group had a wonderful smelling barbeque on the go.

It was a long way over the moors to Tan Hill.

It appeared everyone had decided to congregate at Tan Hill for the bank holiday. Cars and bikes clogged the road and there was a whole row of camper vans. They had an outside bar set up and were turning people away who wanted to eat there that evening.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 21:13:17, 15/09/20 »
Enjoying the TRs.  The photos are great and really capture the flavour of the walk.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 21:37:44, 15/09/20 »
Thanks Dovegirl.

Writing then does feel a bit like it is more epic than the walk but I am enjoying doing them and it is helping me put all my memories in to order.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 07:29:31, 16/09/20 »
Fab photos, no. 5 + 7 are especially good  O0

We stopped in Thwaite for lemonade and ice-cream sat in the sunshine and then paused for our cake and apple lunch. Yes we had slipped in to an Enid Blyton story.

:) Food does taste SO much better outdoors  :) 
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 07:35:58, 16/09/20 »
Really enjoying your daily reports, Ridge - keep them coming!

"I sent my wife a picture of us tucking in at the Dalesman in Gargrave and got a shocked response."
 ;D ;D

PS - that photo of Ingleborough is particularly stunning.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 07:45:03, 16/09/20 »
The exact wording of the text was 'What are you doing!!'

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 08:00:08, 16/09/20 »
DAY 9 – 31th August 2020
Tan Hill to Middleton in Teesdale
18 miles 28.96km
9.20 am to 4.30pm

Not as boggy as we feared over Sleightholme Moor, it was certaily wet for almost all the way but it was not as deep and difficult to negotiate as areas earlier in the walk or even over the other side of the A66. I posted on the forum in the evening how it was nothing like we had been led to believe. Later in the walk we saw Charlie again, who we had met near Horton in Ribblesdale, apparently he went in to a bog here up to his chest.

God's Bridge,  an amazing natural structure.

and an old lime kiln

Then more moor

We took a photo at what we thought might possibly have been the halfway point of the walk.

Coming down of Cotherstone Moor we were asked 'Are you Mike?' as someone was looking for him. We met the person doing the looking at the car park before Blackton Reservoir, he appeared to be asking anyone going in either direction if they had 'seen Mike'. Mike was in a group of 4 walking from Tan Hill and his friend had set out to meet him but had obviously arrived way too early. He had been waiting for hours. We had seen Mike earlier in the day a couple of times but had last seen the group at Gods Bridge.

Just after Blackton Reservoir we met a woman on a very skittish young horse she told us we would be fine to walk behind him. I decided not to risk it, stayed well out of the way and let her fight with him as he went sideways down the lane.

We had refreshments from the tiny tuck shop at Wythes Hill.

I knew before I started the walk that this would almost definitely be the last outing for my beloved old boots but they are so comfortable I couldn't contemplate getting new ones close to the start. Perhaps I should have thought about this months earlier but, of coure, I didn't. Now they were beginning to suffer, part of the front bumper (I think that is the right word) on my right boot had come off completely and the rest was barely hanging on. Any other day apart from bank holiday Monday we would have been able to get some glue from the hardwear shop in MinT.

We dined that night of slabs of wonderfully stodgy pizza in our very nice B&B. Mine was piled high with veg something I came to realise is severely lacking in much pub food.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 09:34:05, 16/09/20 »
The exact wording of the text was 'What are you doing!!'

I would have thought that would be obvious!  ;D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy