Author Topic: snowdon  (Read 7985 times)

didge666

snowdon
« on: 13:53:17, 21/11/06 »
my first mountain ...and what a day and night it would be............It starts at a lovely cafe on the side of snowdon i turned up at about 11  i sleept in the car the night before in a sheep pen  i not know this tilll the morning lol .back to the cafe coz this guy who works and lives there is a gem 1 of the niceist people ive meet.   I come though the cafe door to see 2 guys talking in welsh they looked at me as if too say what are u doing here coz of the why a was dressed i was wearing my rebok trainers a t shirt and a pair of jeans hardley some 1 whos going to walk in to a blizzard .they asked me if i was going to go up snowdon i seid yep then 1 of them seid theres no point going up there when u can not see the top. as half of snowdon covered in a snow cloud .i started to get the impression they where trying to talk me out of it any ways a asked the guy if a could get my gear out the car and sort what ill take up with me np he seid and offered a cup of T why i do this he comes back 5 minits l8er to find his porch full of my gear he lol and seid him and his m8 thought i was going up in my reboks. 
So i left walking towards something i could only see half of after a why,ll i reached the cloud line snow line and i got my first taste of bad whether NO JOKE it was bad howling winds blizzard still only half way up and the last people up there had just passed me on the way down following the train line very carefully with some amazing snow drifts along the way a very bleck looking building come in to veiw well 25 meters away and i new i was at the top but the cold was now bitting though my gear 3 layers and had no afect on it i was getting very cold shacking i thought i was in probs but my trusty tranger and a cup of T pushed under the old oil stores for the trains. i had to get to the summit stone even though it only a few meters from the station i could not see it after 5 minits i found it but the eind was so strong i had to lay on my belly and and go a the steps like that coz the wind was so strong and manged to get 1 hand on the top bye this time it was dusk and a long why back down i got back to the cafe it the dark and a nice warm welcome the guy had a nice HOT POT on the oven and a cup of T and an OPEN FIRE wow what a day.....that my first mountain and has not been my last ..................

THX to the guy at the cafe his name i forgot but i will return there to the cafe been to snowdon every year since and never had wheather like that ....

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 18:17:15, 21/11/06 »
Snowdon was my first highest  mountain apart from kinder scout i loved every  minutes  of it. nxt time when we go up Snowdon again we will take a different why up. My fav is Scarfell pike as i kept getting vertigo on both these mountains but as since stopped due to eating little cheese.
« Last Edit: 12:15:50, 26/07/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

kkm

« Reply #2 on: 13:40:11, 22/05/07 »
did snowdon for the first time last month. it was absolutely awesome!

what started as a weekend away with a group, to do "a little walking, a bit of scrambling, maybe some climbing" translated into climbing snowdon, from the youth hostel at somewhere i forget the name of, (sorry!) up crib goch, and across to snowdon peak, down the other side, up a bit more and down again. I know its called the snowdon horse shoe....

it was fantastic. it was incrediablly hard going for me - i was not having a good time, having only just started to get over a chest infection, so wasn't probably the best thing for me to do.....however i loved the scrambling side of it, not so happy with traversing across the top of crib goch, and didn't particularly like coming down the other side of snowdon on the shale mostly on my bottom! but was so worth while, and something i want to do again.

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:02:44, 10/09/07 »
I did Snowdon on saturday 8th Sept. Up by the Watkins Path and down by the Pyg Track. Awesome I think is the right word. I am aching now though, as it was a 7 hour 10.5 mile walk from the campsite up, down and back. My highest yet.

I made the summit in just under 3 hours, though the last bit of broken rock and scree on the W path got my heart bumping a few times !!!

Scafell Pike next then !!
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

Feriol

« Reply #4 on: 17:56:14, 11/09/07 »
I did Snowdon on saturday 8th Sept. Up by the Watkins Path and down by the Pyg Track. Awesome I think is the right word. I am aching now though, as it was a 7 hour 10.5 mile walk from the campsite up, down and back. My highest yet.

I made the summit in just under 3 hours, though the last bit of broken rock and scree on the W path got my heart bumping a few times !!!

Scafell Pike next then !!
Well done.

I Remember the first time i did Snowdon, i too was aching (Really bad) but it was a satisfying ache, Knowing what i had achieved, and it was well worth it. I'm sure you feel the same.

Did you get a good view?
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:21:28, 12/09/07 »
Hey Feriol,

Yeah the view was great ! After I climbed the last few metres to the summit, I got a great view over the tops of the cloud - it was like the view from the window of an aeroplane !! BUT, after only a few more mintues, the cloud lifted totally, and what had been a "white-out" was opened up to reveal valleys, lakes and hills below ..... it was quite spiritual - or at least would have been if I hadn't been sharing it with about 100 others up there !!!!

I see you are a Rush fan also then ?? I thik they went down hill a bit after Power Windows, but then, maybe I'm just an aging Prog Rocker ??

Paul
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

Feriol

« Reply #6 on: 13:59:58, 12/09/07 »
Hey Feriol,

Yeah the view was great ! After I climbed the last few metres to the summit, I got a great view over the tops of the cloud - it was like the view from the window of an aeroplane !! BUT, after only a few more mintues, the cloud lifted totally, and what had been a "white-out" was opened up to reveal valleys, lakes and hills below ..... it was quite spiritual - or at least would have been if I hadn't been sharing it with about 100 others up there !!!!

I see you are a Rush fan also then ?? I thik they went down hill a bit after Power Windows, but then, maybe I'm just an aging Prog Rocker ??

Paul
Further to the lyrics in my signiture, which is from my favorite song. (From Presto)

this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
reflected in another source of light
when the moment dies
the spark still flies
reflected in another pair of eyes

Which for me highlights how much better an experience is if you can share it with someone, so thank you for sharing it on here.

I Too like the old prog rock, Gabriel's Genesis, Yes, etc.(Watching 'Keys To Ascension Concert DVD as i write this) While Rush changed their style considerbly after power windows, i do still enjoy it, but in a different way, if you know what i mean? I Don't like their new album at all though. But this discussion is perhaps worth a thread of its own?
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy