Author Topic: (tr) derwent round 11/9/11  (Read 5004 times)

danieljohnpage

(tr) derwent round 11/9/11
« on: 21:21:10, 11/09/11 »
this is my 1st trip report so let me know what you think,

sorry no pics

Arrived at the Ladybower nice and early 6.40am was only me aroun so parking on the road was fine. i set off through ashopton towards whinstone lee tor was a really nice morning untill i gained the height to the top where the wind was very strong and was to stay like this for the rest of the day. it was easy going over to lost lad with the path mostly being flag stones, after ariving at lost lad after about 1hr 15 min of hard walking, from here i droped down sheepfold clough and crossed the stream where the going got tuff with all the rain we have had and there not being a real path but with a bit of nav work i made my way over to howden edge where the path was flooded but eventally made it to the trig point at margery hill.

the views so far was amazing could see for miles over to win hill nice clear skys, after a short stop i made my way down the cut gate path, past slippery stones, to the road which i followed to to the path leading up to alport castles which is a long slog to the top but the views are well worht it, but i was struggling to walk in a straight line the wind was that strong but its all good fun O0 .from here i followed the flagstone path over to big end pasture, where i came to a field full of cows and for the people that know me you know what i'm like with cows i hate them they scare the [censored] out of me. but with a climb up crook hill a managed to get around them with out them noticing me thank god.

19miles 3430 feet of accent was pleased with my time of 6 hrs

this is a great walk with great views and is a challenging walk would recommend it to anyone

thanks daniel hope you enjoyed reading my report

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
Re: (tr) derwent round 11/9/11
« Reply #1 on: 21:29:48, 11/09/11 »
Excellent report O0 but, OMG 19 miles in 6 hours - I seriously have to work on my walking speed!  :-[
Shame there were no pics  ::)  - Maybe next time?  ;)

Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

danieljohnpage

« Reply #2 on: 21:33:17, 11/09/11 »
Excellent report O0 but, OMG 19 miles in 6 hours - I seriously have to work on my walking speed!  :-[
Shame there were no pics  ::)  - Maybe next time?  ;)

thanks, will take some next time trying to get fitter at the min so just had my head down ticking the miles off, shame really it was a really clear day with some fantastic views din't even have time to have a cuppa. will defo do this walk againn in the winter when the snow comes O0

chunky walker

« Reply #3 on: 21:33:41, 11/09/11 »
Nice post Daniel
The Derwent valley is my favourite part of the peak district so many nice walks in that valley I no what you mean about that slog up to all port castle its beast  ;D  .
can you post the route map I have been meaning to do lost lad especially, for some time now so would probably follow the route you walked  O0 .
Oh and if you havent already try loose hill pike from hope thats a nice slog up aswell lol

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:40:09, 11/09/11 »

thanks, will take some next time trying to get fitter at the min so just had my head down ticking the miles off, shame really it was a really clear day with some fantastic views din't even have time to have a cuppa. will defo do this walk againn in the winter when the snow comes O0

Jeez you are trying to get fitter and can already do that - I think I need to either give up now or get a lot fitter lol  :D ;D

Mind you, my problem is that I enjoy the views too much - I don't think I could jusy by-pass them - I have to spend time looking at them  ;)
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

danieljohnpage

« Reply #5 on: 22:06:46, 11/09/11 »
Nice post Daniel
The Derwent valley is my favourite part of the peak district so many nice walks in that valley I no what you mean about that slog up to all port castle its beast  ;D  .
can you post the route map I have been meaning to do lost lad especially, for some time now so would probably follow the route you walked  O0 .
Oh and if you havent already try loose hill pike from hope thats a nice slog up aswell lol
trying and don't know how to plot the route or what web site to use to allow me to do this any help, on how to do this

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:34:50, 11/09/11 »
trying and don't know how to plot the route or what web site to use to allow me to do this any help, on how to do this

Hi Well done O0

Done this walk 3 times before there were flags. :) Took me 10hrs because I have always walked the Wainright way before he quoted it.
Stop often and look round  O0 

There a Better route from Lost Lad. 
Come back to Black Tor and follow the path on Cartledge Stones Ridge till it crosses The Duke's Road. This path is not shown on the maps but it's a well defined and follows Cartledge Brook over the moor to join the Howden Edge path near High Stones.

Check  this link http://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0896/T0896.htm

You could do a rekkie by parking up where the Dukes road Starts on the strines road and follow it. It's a while since I did the walk  :)
« Last Edit: 08:25:26, 12/09/11 by Ridge Walker »

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:37:21, 11/09/11 »
Check this: you will love!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

chunky walker

« Reply #8 on: 22:54:57, 11/09/11 »
Check this: you will love!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/
OMG Jimmy how did you find this route planner its great I need to have a play but looks really easy to use thanks for that  O0

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:09:16, 11/09/11 »
OMG Jimmy how did you find this route planner its great I need to have a play but looks really easy to use thanks for that  O0

I think most of use it on this forum I do  O0

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:32:50, 12/09/11 »
Nice TR but shame no photos  O0

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:51:43, 12/09/11 »
Wow to you for doing that route in 6 hours, well done. Was there a reason for it?

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: 09:18:10, 12/09/11 »
19miles 3430 feet of accent was pleased with my time of 6 hrs

Try enjoying it instead of timing it
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:12:24, 12/09/11 »
Hope ya don't mind Daniel, but i thought this would help to show everyone what you did in 6 hours  O0

danieljohnpage

« Reply #14 on: 20:08:09, 12/09/11 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy