Author Topic: TR Stanage Edge 9 to 13 May 14 Part 2  (Read 3894 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Stanage Edge 9 to 13 May 14 Part 2
« on: 19:33:37, 22/05/14 »
This is the second TR from The Peak District. On Sunday the weather was a bit changeable. One minute there was torrential rain and then ten minutes later clear blue skies and sunshine. It was very windy so we thought it best to walk today and hope to climb on Monday. Again a wise decision because the heavy rain/strong wind then sunshine cycle kept up all day. First we walked up to Stanage Edge at the Popular End.

View from Stanage Edge

We headed off for Upper Burbage Bridge and walked over Higger Tor and Car Wark. There were quite a few people about despite the blustery and wet conditions.

Higger Tor

Tremendous rock formations.

Rocks and blue skies. This was one of the sunny spells we had.

From Burbage bridge we walked down to Grindleford via Padley Gorge

Lovely footbridge at Padley Gorge

The same bridge at bit further down. I loved this walk through the gorge. Absolutely stunning place.

Taken near Grindleford on the way back to Hathersage by the River Derwent

Hathersage

We were pleased to get back to the campsite because the walk was longer than we had planned at about 10 miles and our legs were tired.

Monday dawned with rain showers on and off and we didn’t know if climbing was going to be possible. There were light winds so we decided to take the climbing stuff with us and see what weather we got when we got to the Edge. In the end we managed 4 hours without any rain. O0

Stanage Edge and Grotto Slabs in view in the centre of the shot. Beefy climbed the Diff route up this, 14m. I gave this one a miss because I was struggling to even get started on it.  :-[

Beefy abseiling down Grottos Slabs before he climbed it.

Beefy abseiling down Zip Crack. There wasn’t enough time for me to learn how to abseil. Unfortunately.  ;)   ;D

Zip Crack. This is a mod, 7m. I climbed this one first and I found it a bit more difficult than Square Chimney. I had to rest my arms ¾ of the way up because they were starting to get tired. Beefy didn’t have any problem with it, the show off.

It started to chuck it down just as were about to try a Diff climb so we had to abandon the thought of any more climbing but we’d done well to have 4 dry hours. After a delicious pasta meal  ;D  we both reflected that we liked climbing and we wanted to try more of it. I found out that climbing is harder than it looks and I need to build up my arm strength a bit.

I am a big fan of the Peak District. I love the scenery and wasn't disappointed that we didn't spend the whole time climbing as we'd planned. The two walks were stunning and if the weather had been better we would have missed out on those.

I must mention the female GP and her husband who very kindly gave us a lift up to the campsite on Friday afternoon. We'd got off the train expecting to ring for a taxi to take us up to the campsite. We were laden down with climbing gear, camping gear, food for 4 days, hiking gear and we would have struggled to carry all that up to the campsite at North Lees. There were no taxis available and the lovely doctor and hubby insisted on helping us carry the stuff to their car and then driving us up to the campsite. What lovely people they were and I can't thank them enough.
« Last Edit: 23:24:40, 07/08/14 by Chris »
Hate will never win

Catbells

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Stanage Edge 9 to 13 May 14 Part 2
« Reply #1 on: 19:40:19, 22/05/14 »
Oh you two you will have to show me some climbing one day, I would love to have a go at it  :)
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:30:27, 22/05/14 »
great TR Ape' 8)
excellent write up and pics,
ya not posting this in the LD then  :D
Grotto Slab next time for you eh  O0
had a brilliant time despite the weather,
Oh you two you will have to show me some climbing one day, I would love to have a go at it  :)
Will do Catty  ;D
beef 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:36:00, 22/05/14 »
great TR Ape' 8)
excellent write up and pics,
ya not posting this in the LD then  :D
Grotto Slab next time for you eh  O0
had a brilliant time despite the weather,Will do Catty  ;D
beef 8)

Brilliant Beefy :)

kevilsonlad

« Reply #4 on: 21:05:55, 22/05/14 »
absolutely love the pics especially the one with small waterfall with the bridge in the background .

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:27:09, 22/05/14 »
Thanks Catbells, climbing is harder than I thought but good fun, we could maybe fit something in on your Aug trip?  :)

Beefy I thought putting the post in the correct area would stop people getting all confused  ;D  We all know karl is confused enough as it is  :D

Cheers Kevilsonlad  O0  I loved the gorge where the bridge was, a magical place it was  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:53:24, 22/05/14 »
Beefy I thought putting the post in the correct area would stop people getting all confused  ;D  We all know karl is confused enough as it is  :D

OI! pack it in you big bully >:(
I have walked in those woods and around that area courtesy of Tracey Sunnydale and it is very lovely :)
And It's Carl Wark ya numpty ;D named after me just like Carlside
TF 94750 34515 is named after you and NY 21390 10505 is named after Beefy
bit of a test of your map reading skills there ( you can tell I'm bored ;) )
« Last Edit: 23:03:01, 22/05/14 by karl h »

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:54:15, 23/05/14 »
Thanks Catbells, climbing is harder than I thought but good fun, we could maybe fit something in on your Aug trip?  :)

Cheers Kevilsonlad  O0  I loved the gorge where the bridge was, a magical place it was  :)

Now there's an idea :)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:39:26, 23/05/14 »
enjoyed the TR. glad you enjoyed your trip  O0 give me a shout if you come this way again  O0
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:51:36, 23/05/14 »
Nice report April, I've seen plenty of climbers on those edges too, but never quite had the bottle to try myself!
roll on the weekend

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:00:33, 23/05/14 »
And It's Carl Wark ya numpty ;D named after me just like Carlside

It looked like car wark on the map it was written all funny! Will have to check the map later - it is at home. You know I can't map read  :D

Catbells I'll see what crags there are in Wasdale  :)

Carolina, I will give you a shout and sunnydale. I really fell in love with the Peaks  :)

Trenchfoot I've always been a scaredycat but the climbs I did were only 6m + 7m high so not high enough to be too scary and they were good fun to do. I'm not sure if I could do anything more serious! We have done Church Crags since, a beginners crag in the Lakes at 12m high and that didn't seem that scary either.  :)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:10:47, 23/05/14 »
More great photos April O0   I've done a few easier climbs onto Stanage but never anything where I'd need ropes.  Always fancied it but would be worried about how my back would cope :-\
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:07:45, 23/05/14 »
Thanks sunnydale  O0  On the Friday when we were top roping on the easy climbs there were some lads just using bouldering mats and no other equipment but they were actually doing some of the more difficult climbs. I'll use the rope thank you  ;D  My back and neck were a bit achy afterwards but the worst soreness was in my arms. I need to build up the muscles in my arms  :)   
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:11:41, 23/05/14 »

TF - Great Snoring - totally innacurate  :knuppel2:

NY - Windy Gap - very accurate  ;D

No map reading skills were required. I checked out the OS website and inputted the grid refs  ;D

Ready for some tasty cake Karl?  >:D
Hate will never win

Luke Skywalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:48:20, 23/05/14 »
I second the bit about Padley gorge, went once, this year, terrific place! O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy