Author Topic: A good route for Pen Y Ghent ?  (Read 7523 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
A good route for Pen Y Ghent ?
« on: 14:17:28, 20/04/17 »
A few of us from work are aiming for walking around and up Pen Y Ghent this weekend and I thought it worth asking if anyone has a favourite route that is less obvious than that taken by the 3 Peakers ?

One chap has something in mind starting from Helwith Bridge and this looks a reasonable way to make a longer walk, than straight up & down.
Anything similar or better ?
Thanks in anticipation.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: A good route for Pen Y Ghent ?
« Reply #1 on: 14:40:26, 20/04/17 »
Duuno, did it wi a group, don't recall the route! There! That was helpful, wasn't it? :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:14:24, 20/04/17 »
Try this one.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2505
Goes up PyG, along the ridge and drops off the far end.
Solvitur Ambulando

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:29:19, 20/04/17 »
The difficulty with answering your question is that it is virtually impossible to do Peny without covering the busy bits.
The route from Helwith is fine, mostly an enclosed bridleway. Takes you up to the Pennine Way path at Milk Churn.
There are some obscure routes, but you are unlikely to find them and they barely exist on the ground.

The natural extension  is to walk over to Plover Hill and descend onto the Foxup Bridleway, circling back along the base of the hill. The Henry Street route goes back around the other Dale.
There are several paths that way. Though it also involves some road walking. It was very muddy last month, damn sheep were making a mess of the path about 200 yards ahead of me.
Conditions locally are much drier at the moment. Which also would suggest that the very boggy section between Peny and Plover may well be readily passable. (Lots of photos of groups traversing along the face of walls to get by some bogs..   :D

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:41:42, 20/04/17 »
Thanks peter/ninthace - I think we'll go across to Plover Hill & descend off the back and perhaps as we do so, we can decide to either go clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Useful to know about the conditions being a little drier than may be expected  O0
I've only ever been up Pen Y Ghent once before and that was as part of the 3 peaks (with another bunch of work colleagues) and it was the day before my Sons Christening:- for which I could hardly walk and paid dearly for my lack of preparation. Still, he's 31 this year and I am slightly wiser, but not much.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:04:34, 21/04/17 »
Couple of things to bear in mind.
When you get to Plover going clockwise will require more awareness and navigation, (you need a plan) anti clockwise is fairly simple path following.
To get to Plover from Peny just follow the wall, watch out for the boggy bits. (Engage brain)
Oh, and the descent from Plover is at times a bit mountain goat country..
 O0
Peter

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:30:23, 21/04/17 »
Cheers Peter  O0
Points noted.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:48:39, 22/04/17 »
Did you go up from Helwith? Using the layby on the left? Saw a few cars there this morning, I was heading for Whernside.

Peter

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:12:40, 23/04/17 »
Did you go up from Helwith? Using the layby on the left? Saw a few cars there this morning, I was heading for Whernside.

>:(   >:(  We were due to walk today, and yesterday were due at the Lyth Valley for Damson Day, so put my phone on early yesterday morning to charge it up only to receive a message from one of the guys - sent late Friday night, calling it off.
We are going to re-schedule it and will still use the info from you & ninthace.
A pity though because it was such good weather - well it was as we drove back home from the Lakes yesterday evening on the A65.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:50:08, 06/05/17 »
On Friday I followed ninthace's route over from PYG to Plover hill. At the moment it's completely dry - presenting no difficulty at all. The path off Plover hill was a delight, although the mid section WAS a bit hairy as Peter said. At the bottom I turned left for the return to Horton. All in all; a superb afternoon out  :) :)  - could have done without the wind though!

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #10 on: 17:25:30, 07/05/17 »
Thinking of maybe doing this walk on Wednesday (looks like a nice sunny day), anyone know how busy it will be then? I heard this route can be busy all year round. Thanks in advance.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:44:12, 07/05/17 »
I can't see it being busy on a Wednesday. Last Friday I only saw 7 people, and only came close enough to speak to 4 of them. The village itself was pretty busy,but I don't know where they all went. Not up Pen-Y-Ghent, that's for sure :) .

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:18:35, 07/05/17 »
Thinking of maybe doing this walk on Wednesday (looks like a nice sunny day), anyone know how busy it will be then? I heard this route can be busy all year round. Thanks in advance.

Won't be that busy. Especially after Peny.
Peter

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:53:44, 09/05/17 »
All being well and barring any last minute crying off we are heading up there on Sunday.
Not sure what the forecast is yet though.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:27:32, 09/05/17 »
The fells are dangerously dry. If this weather keeps up we may well have a major fire soon.
Given that it is also quite windy, give some thought to what to do to avoid getting hurt in a fire. It isn't something we think of too often.

Peter

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy