Author Topic: 1 man tent  (Read 10614 times)

jarrowlad

1 man tent
« on: 22:33:44, 10/07/06 »
I'm new to the board so hi toall.
I'm looking to buy a one man tent for solo backpacking in the lakes.
it's to be used at high level as well as on camp sites.
needs to be light and stronf.
been loking at terra nove laser and hilleberg akto.
has anybody got any real life advise?

titaniumdude

Re: 1 man tent
« Reply #1 on: 14:36:30, 31/07/06 »
never used the laser so cant comment on that though it looks like a pretty good lightweight summer piece of kit.

The akto is ace.  I have been using this for a while.  It pitches in seconds (simultaneous inner and outer, good for pitching in rain or snow) and once up will stay up.  If you think you will be using this in extreme weather you even have the option to 'double pole' and add extra lines.  This is an excellent piece of four season kit.  The only possible gripe is that due to the extreme water resistence of the fly, condensation may be a problem.  I get around this slightly by pitching the head end (the end that gets the modst condensation) facing the direction of the rising sun wherever possible.  It only weighs 1.5kg and packs small.  The best price your likely to find is at Field and Trek or ultimate outdoors. Pricey I know, but it will last for years and the venting has been improved in the 2006 model. :)
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 22:20:46, 15/08/06 »
This link will probably expire pretty soon, but for 85 quid this looks like an utter bargain for anyone looking for a solo tent on a budget.  1.75kg, but I bet you could shave a bit off that weight with a bit of mesing.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/125204?Ref=1758
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:36:33, 26/03/07 »
The Hilleburg is a very good tent but for a fraction of the price, more so now as its in nearly every sale id say the NorthFace tadpole, it ticks all your needs.

I used this tent all last year for my walking and it still preforms great.

Some pics of it in action (not as sad as it sounds)
walkingforlife.piczo.com
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

solo backpacker

« Reply #4 on: 18:02:15, 26/03/07 »
the only piece of advice i'd give is weight is key, especially if your truly solo backpacking, you already have a load of weight, you don't need more

have you considered a bivvy bag? proper one thats made to be completly sealed? light weight and small pack size
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 09:22:10, 27/03/07 »
I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2 which is Hilleberg's 2 person tent and am assuming that the Akto is simply the 1 man version.   This is superb in that it's lightweight and simple to put up.   The inner is normally attached to the outer, so that even in wet weather you can erect the whole lot without the inner getting wet.   In reasonable weather conditions you can use just the outer, although of course you'll need a groundsheet and you won't get any insect protection.

I also have a gore-tex bivvy bag (like solo backpacker), but mine will stay where it is in my wardrobe.    I spent a night in it on a lone trip in the Pyrennees a few years ago, and while the early part of the night was fine (mine has a loop over the head end and a mesh so that you can sleep open but keep insect free).   However about midnight a thunderstorm of apocolyptic proportions started and I had to seal the bag.    Being September it was a warm night, and having to roast in a sealed bivvy bag for the next 6 hours does rate as one of the worst night's sleep (or rather not) I've ever had.    However I'm sure others have excellent experiences so make your own choice.

The above is real life experience, but I'm very seriously considering an alternative for 3 season trips.   There's a website that sells really ultralight stuff, mainly bivvy tents (sometimes called tarps), but you can buy inners etc.  I've worked out that two of us can stay out while carrying only a quarter of the weight of the already lightweight Hilleberg.    Their stuff is well priced for lightweight gear too, which often comes at a premium.    I would have thought that for summer trips in the Lakes, provided you find a fairly sheltered spot, some of this stuff might be ideal.    I'm anticipating a summer trip myself where I'll be forced to stay out and am seriously considering getting some kit from here:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's used their gear.

Cheers, S.

solo backpacker

« Reply #6 on: 20:27:23, 27/03/07 »
Snowman - Fantastic resource, thanks

I've heard good reviews about the GoLite Hex 3 Shelter but I assume it'll still be near the weight of the Hillberg you used.

I still love staying under tarp with a bivvy bag (see pictures in the pictures section) but I find that the extra addition of a goretex bivvy bag (mines ex army, not a full bivvy bag, just a goretex cover for my sleeping bag) makes up a fair amount of extra weight. For one person I would deff go for a Hennessy Hammock in wooded areas (still not convinced you can pitch with poles), more than one then deff Hex 3.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Snowman

« Reply #7 on: 08:57:49, 28/03/07 »
You're welcome SB.

I'm thinking more in terms of the Golite Lair 2 (plus 2 Golite groundsheets) which comes in at a total of 450g, whereas the Hilleberg Nallo absolute minimum is 1900g.   OK I know I'll need a couple of the lightweight groundsheets which increases it by 90g each.

I like the idea of using this with my gore-tex bivvy, but that adds another 800g as opposed to the 90g groundsheet.   Now I go back a while, to when a two man tent was made of canvas with wooden poles (imagine what that weighs wet), so any backpacking was done with a (sort of) waterproof sheet, which we then called a 'bivvy'.    We'd stretch this wherever we could, so the idea of sleeping out with just a waterproof top and a sleeping bag isn't too alien to me.   Whether I'll feel the same way now ... ?    But I'll give it a shot and if I get fed up I'll abandon the trip and head for the nearest pub.

I too have been looking at the Hennessy hammock, but like you have been a bit worried about using it outside woodland, and some of the places I expect to be I know there won't be many trees around.

Cheers, S.

solo backpacker

« Reply #8 on: 19:53:09, 28/03/07 »
its funny how things happen, my wife has just started looking for the perfect two man tent for us to use together on backpacking trips. b'day in may has spurred her on. i'll let everyone know how our search gets on.

Snowman

« Reply #9 on: 09:08:46, 29/03/07 »
Well good luck with the new tent SB.

I would say that the Nallo 2 is an excellent tent, although I'm not quite sure I'd pay that much for it now (I was a bit flush at the time).   If you have the cash the next one up (I think it's the GT) has a much larger porch, but of course weighs a bit more but does give you space for your gear and cooking if the weather is bad.    One of the features of the Hilleberg's that is not often observed is that the fly material stretches slightly, so you don't get the flapping in the wind that you get with other tents.

There's a lot more choice in lightweight tents these days (I bought mine about 6 years ago), and the Hilleberg is probably the Rolls Royce, but how many people need a Rolls Royce?   I thankfully didn't have so much choice so your search could be a long one.

Cheers, S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:10:32, 18/04/07 »
Oh no, I feel like a right doughnut now!

There I was, on Sunday, at a local car boot sale (high class me, you know  ;)) and I saw some chap seeling a Hilleberg tent for a fiver!!!!

I sneered at it and walked on by!

May the Gods strike me down!  :'(

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:27:41, 18/04/07 »

There I was, on Sunday, at a local car boot sale (high class me, you know  ;)) and I saw some chap seeling a Hilleberg tent for a fiver!!!!

Oh no way  i bet you kicked your self £5 was that all.  Which one was it or did you not ask.
« Last Edit: 14:25:47, 18/04/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:27:30, 19/04/07 »
No, didn't ask, just glanced at it, thought: "Nah! Not for me!" and walked right on by.

I buy the complete series of Tripods for a £5.00, so the day wasn't a total loss  ;D

titaniumdude

« Reply #13 on: 13:14:24, 19/04/07 »
Snowman - Fantastic resource, thanks

I've heard good reviews about the GoLite Hex 3 Shelter but I assume it'll still be near the weight of the Hillberg you used.

I still love staying under tarp with a bivvy bag (see pictures in the pictures section) but I find that the extra addition of a goretex bivvy bag (mines ex army, not a full bivvy bag, just a goretex cover for my sleeping bag) makes up a fair amount of extra weight. For one person I would deff go for a Hennessy Hammock in wooded areas (still not convinced you can pitch with poles), more than one then deff Hex 3.
SB.  I've managed to source one of those ex army gore tex bivis for 35 quid and I am seriously considering buying it.  Sounds perfect for damp bothies.  My question is howver how do they perform if used on their own for the odd night.  The bag is certainly big enough for me and a good amount of kit ( I suppose a small backpack stored at the head end would compensate for the lack of a hoop).  I know they're not like the commercial ones (such as the TN jupiter) as they are goretex all round, but I suppose a mat/groundsheet underneath would protect against ground wet.  Would you trust it for the odd night or 2 during the summer?

Snowman

« Reply #14 on: 09:52:46, 20/04/07 »

Oh dear.   And you could have got at least £10 selling it on ebay.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy