Author Topic: TR - the Clogwyn y Person arete & Cwm Uchaf horseshoe  (Read 2994 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
Third and final one for me for now, completing an excellent few days in Wales

https://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-cwm-uchaf-horseshoe-clogwyn-y.html

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - the Clogwyn y Person arete & Cwm Uchaf horseshoe
« Reply #1 on: 17:13:10, 11/05/19 »
Rather you than me, when ropes and harness are required, i will leave it to the more experienced.
I hate exposure, so even fully roped up, this would not be my cuppa.

Lovely photos, and i hope its a bit warmer than last Thursday.

I recorded a temperature of only 2C at Llechog, and Snowdons summit was bitterly cold, it would have been snow if it had started to rain.

I remember it being warmer on New Years eve.

A bit warmer today, on Moelfres summit, but still a lot cooler than it should be for mid May, and let's not forget its only six weeks before Mid Summer.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:22:35, 11/05/19 »
Great report Dave. It brings back memories. Although not really a climber, I have climbed Parsons Nose, but not the whole aręte. I have also descended Crib Goch into Cwm Uchaf and it is a fantastic route, if you can handle the exposure. We saw nobody, but we did start descending at sunrise. I hope to get back there next year in an attempt on the 3000s, if I can get and stay fit enough.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:21:30, 11/05/19 »
Great stuff Dave, really enjoyed that  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

harry_keogh

« Reply #4 on: 16:23:29, 25/05/19 »
I did this a couple of years back without ropes. Normally I'm not really good with a lot of exposure but strangely I felt completely safe on this, despite it being a grade 3. I haven't done any proper scrambling for a while now - I might do a link up and get a few of the Snowdon ones done in a day. I'll be passing it in a few weeks when I do the Welsh 300s again, north to south. I might have even attempted it then if it wasn't for the fact I'll have been walking for 20 hours and would have no confidence in my legs or balance.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:29:43, 25/05/19 »
"Proper" climbing isn't my thing but I still enjoyed reading your blog and looking at the pics  O0

Are those little patches of snow still on Snowdon?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:09:31, 25/05/19 »
I think that proper climbers would regard this as too easy to be a proper climb, but it is daunting in any case. It is a long way down if you happen to slip while scrambling.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:11:59, 25/05/19 »
I did this a couple of years back without ropes. Normally I'm not really good with a lot of exposure but strangely I felt completely safe on this, despite it being a grade 3. I haven't done any proper scrambling for a while now - I might do a link up and get a few of the Snowdon ones done in a day. I'll be passing it in a few weeks when I do the Welsh 300s again, north to south. I might have even attempted it then if it wasn't for the fact I'll have been walking for 20 hours and would have no confidence in my legs or balance.
Will you be attempting Tryfan north ridge and Bristly Ridge on your route? I am hoping to be fit enough to try the south to north route next year and perhaps the reverse in 2021, although I am not getting any younger. I might consider adding these to that route, but I won’t be attempting Clogwyn y Person after that distance. Actually I probably won’t ever attempt it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy