Author Topic: Cautley Spout - all the way up  (Read 2118 times)

MrSmith

Cautley Spout - all the way up
« on: 15:23:16, 06/11/18 »
First post here - we're usually cyclists, but we're getting into walking too - Hello!

So yesterday, we did an 18km circuit from Sedbergh that included the full Cautley Spout climb. Holy moly - that's a brute; near vertical stone stair - with the gaping void of the valley yawning vertiginously behind you all the time. I was pretty close to hyper-ventilating as I'm not great with heights (that's going to work out REALLY well in your new pastime as hill-walker!).

Once past the falls, following the gill to the top was great; only one layer needed, and could easily have worn shorts (at 600m+ in November!). The water in the gill is fantastically clear - that must be a great way to cool your feet on a summer's walk.

The Howgills may well be my new favourite place!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Cautley Spout - all the way up
« Reply #1 on: 15:30:32, 06/11/18 »

Hi MrSmith and welcome from another also-cyclist. 8)
The Howgills is a place I've never managed to get to despite often planning routes there. One day... One day...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:34:08, 06/11/18 »
Welcome to the forum.  The Howgills used to be one of my favourite stamping grounds - only 20 mins from home.  If you want some other routes - let me know.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:31:51, 06/11/18 »
Hi Mr S and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:11:58, 10/11/18 »

Welcome to the forum from Orkney.

Yes, the Howgills are lovely hills, a transition between the Dales and the Lakes. Did the Cautley Spout walk many years ago, then over the tops to a pub in Sedbergh.... an excellent day.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy