Author Topic: [Trip Report] Jack's Rake and the Langdale Pikes.  (Read 5121 times)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Saturday 4th June '11: Recently carolina2k9 asked me if I'd take her to Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark in the Langdale Pikes. This I was more than happy to do, especially as I hadn't done any of the Langdale Pikes before so it's been on my to-do list for a while. Caroline doesn't really do heights but she's determined to overcome her fear and whilst Jack's Rake is quite exposed in a few places it's really quite a straight forward scramble with little in the way of difficulties*.

*Conditions on the day were dry with only a light breeze. This would likely be an entirely different beast in wet, icy and/or windy conditions.

We drove up on Saturday morning arriving at about 10am. It was a lovely sunny and warm morning so there were plenty of other people about. Even so parking was no problem, we parked in a field next the New Dungeon Ghyll hotel, just £4 for the day. They were even happy for us to make use of their toilets before starting our walk.

With boots donned we headed off up past the hotel to the start of the Stickle Ghyll path. This is a good and clear, if somewhat steep, path that leads the way to Stickle Tarn.

At the start, heading up the road to the New Dungeon Ghyll hotel.

The beginning of the Stickle Ghyll path.

Caroline on the lower section of the Stickle Ghyll path.

The path is quite steep and unrelenting but by and large is a good clear route.

The view back to Great Langdale, Lingmoor Fell the backdrop.

Soon we reached Stickle Tarn where we stopped for a breather and to admire Jack's Rake on the side of Pavey Ark. I think Caroline's first glimpse of Jack's Rake made her a little nervous but she was determined she was going to do it no matter what. After a snack and some photo's we made our around to the scree slope that leads to the base of Jack's Rake.

Caroline by Stickle Tarn with Pavey Ark and Jack's Rake behind her.

Harrison Stickle.

The two of us.

Time for one last kiss before dicing with death on Jack's Rake?! :o :-*

Looking up at Jack's Rake from the bottom of the scree slope.

We made another brief stop at the top of the scree slope and admired Jack's Rake. There were quite a few other people heading up today, I guess the dry, warm weather made it ideal conditions. There were also a few climbers about tackiling the various climbing routes on the face of Pavey Ark. It was agreed that Caroline would head up Jack's Rake first with me close behind to spot her and offer reassurance. With that sorted we started the scramble!

Caroline ready to take on Jack's Rake.

I'm ready too!

Jack's Rake, bring it on!

We made good progress up Jack's Rake and I was really impressed by Caroline's confidence and determination.

Caroline on the steep first section of Jack's Rake.

A quick stop at the top of the steep bit. It levels out for a bit after this.

The view back down to Stickle Tarn.

Another one of me.

This isn't far from the top of Jack's Rake. Just a little more easy scrambling to Pavey Ark's summit.

Soon we found ourselves on the summit of Pavey Ark, the first Wainwright of the day. Caroline was buzzing after Jack's Rake, she did really well and I'm so proud of her. We stopped here for some lunch and to admire the view.

Near the summit of Pavey Ark Caroline saw an opportunity for a new profile picture.

Me on Pavey Ark's summit.

Caroline on Pavey Ark and feeling triumphant having conquered Jack's Rake.

After our lunch we headed for the next Wainwright, Thunacar Knott, which was an easy stroll from Pavey Ark.

Me on Thunacar Knott.

Caroline on Thunacar Knott.

From Thunacar we headed across to Harrison Stickle, the next Wainwright. Again it was easy going with only a short steep bit to reach the summit.

Looking across to Loft Crag and Pike of Stickle from Thunacar Knott. In the background, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell.

Looking down to Great Langdale and Chapel Stile from the summit of Harrison Stickle.

Looking across to the next Wainwright, Pike of Stickle, from the summit of Harrison Stickle.

And also Loft Crag, which would be our last Wainwright of the day.

For some reason I don't seem to have any photo's of us on the summit of Harrison Stickle, I'm sure I took some. Never mind. From Harrison Stickle we had a fairly steep descent  down then a climb to the summit of Pike of Stickle. The last few meters to the summit of Pike of Stickle requires some more easy scrambling.

Scree filled gully near Pike of Stickle's summit.

The summit of Pike of Stickle.

Me on the summit of Pike of Stickle.

Caroline on Pike of Stickle's summit.

Looking across to the last Wainwright of the day, Loft Crag.

From the summit of Pike of Stickle we scrambled back down and made our way across to the final Wainwright of the day, Loft Crag.

Me on Loft Crag's summit with Harrison Stickle behind.

Caroline on the summit of Loft Crag.

From Loft Crag we followed a clear path back down towards the New Dungeon Ghyll hotel.

The National Trust's Great Langdale campsite, venue for this weekends forum meet up.

The view across the valley to Lingmoor Fell.

Looking along Great Langdale towards Chapel Stile.

Dungeon Ghyll Force.

Once back down we went for a drink in the Stickle Ghyll Tavern before heading to Ambleside for a fish and chip supper. This was a cracking day in the Lake District with excellent weather to boot. I'm really pleased that Caroline did Jack's Rake and even more pleased that she enjoyed it too. This was a day I shall remember for a long time. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

swampy

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Jack's Rake and the Langdale Pikes.
« Reply #1 on: 22:05:17, 08/06/11 »
Great TR and pics guys O0  Looks like you had a fab day. Well done to Caroline! I could do with a smidgen of your courage O0
In it for the socials

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:15:04, 08/06/11 »
great TR with some great photo's Mike O0 . I like the look of that Jakes Rake fella. Will have to have a go sometime  O0 Look like you two had some great weather. Are you going to bring it with you on Friday??
Cheers
Andy

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:30:02, 08/06/11 »
What a wonderful TR PB+C  O0

wanderingchas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:41:16, 08/06/11 »
Great TR and photos. Big  O0 to Caroline for doing Jacks Rake.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:13:28, 08/06/11 »
Excellent TR you two O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

dunc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:42:36, 08/06/11 »
nice TR folks and some cracking pics, looks like a belting route an all. well done caroline  O0
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: 23:48:35, 08/06/11 »
Nice trip report mate. Kisses as well very jealous, Neither AJ or Pete gave me a kiss before CG   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:23:37, 09/06/11 »
Great report & photos Mike  O0 ....and well done to Caroline too! 8)

you look great together, btw! :smitten:

Tracey  :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:52:46, 09/06/11 »
Excellent TR and photos Mike and well done Caroline.  O0
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

rdpounder

« Reply #10 on: 18:31:45, 09/06/11 »
Great stuff, hope to do something similar to this, but without Jack's Rake, in August.  Hopefully it won't be as wet an August as last year! ::)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:22:11, 09/06/11 »
great report mike, i really enjoyed the day, and the scramble which really surprised me, i must be getting brave in my old age ;D the langdale pikes is a very nice area. O0
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:06:36, 09/06/11 »
Excellent TR and photos Mike.  Looks absolutely great and well done to you Caroline  O0

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:53:37, 09/06/11 »
Looks good, and well done Caroline.

(I see you are also learning how to put your hands on your hips everytime someone points a camera at you.  He's teaching you so much!).

Are there any other scrambles that can be fitted into a route on those peaks, after Jack's Rake is done?
solvitur ambulando

Alex Quinn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:10:04, 09/06/11 »
Excellent TR and brilliant photographs O0

The Langdale area is great, on nice sunny days it is hard to beat.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy