Author Topic: Coniston Scrambles?  (Read 6429 times)

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
Coniston Scrambles?
« on: 10:03:31, 25/06/15 »
Hello you knowledgeable folk. I'll soon be doing my big circuit round the Lakes, and I'm terribly excited. But I've noticed a lack of scrambling opportunities en route, and my hands will mutiny if they've nothing to do for four or five days. I should be able to do some scrambling when I cross Crinkle Crags and Bowfell, but I was wondering if there are any routes in the Consiston massif? On day one I'd originally planned to start with Dow Crag but the South Rake looks more like a walk. Are there any realistic routes on the crag, or on the flanks of the Old Man? I'll be walking from Coniston to Elterwater, along the tops.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
Re: Coniston Scrambles?
« Reply #1 on: 10:04:52, 25/06/15 »
Also if anyone knows of a way to get from Honister to Keswick with a little scrambling involved...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:44:23, 25/06/15 »
The South Rake was enough of a scramble for me ;D
I have a book of lake district scrambles..if I can remember where I put it I will have a read and report back. I'm sure it had a grade 2 up the side of the Old Man O0

Iggy63

« Reply #3 on: 16:41:22, 25/06/15 »
Low Water Beck strikes me as the obvious choice, but its at least grade 2 and, as it comes out on Brim Fell, will mean bypassing the Old Man unless you want to backtrack along the main ridge.
South Rake is not much of a scramble. Its pretty choked with loose stuff and is really just a climbers descent route. It does, however, get you close to the cliffs. There are a couple of grade 3s on Dow, or try soloing Giant's Crawl (Diff) if you are really brave!
I cant think of anything decent between Honister and Keswick that wont take you too far of any of the ridges. Dale Head has some mediocre stuff on the north side (of no use to you) and beyond that is pretty much nothing scramble-wise. Dropping to Borrowdale would give you Jackdaw Ridge but it would be an awfully contrived route just for a small scramble.
I'd just enjoy the awesome ridges and get some good miles under your boots!

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:07:51, 25/06/15 »
Thanks very much guys. I did want to include the Old Man on the route as it was the first mountain I climbed and it seems a good time to return. I'll have a look at the Giant's Crawl - I'll be wearing approach shoes, so if it's not disgustingly exposed it's got to be worth a look at least. I'll check out the grade 2s as well. The only route I've been able to find ascends the Old Man from Goats Water and looks dull. Karl, I think I might well have to pick up a scramble guide before the weekend. Seems such a waste to spend five days in the hills and not scramble at all.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:15:15, 25/06/15 »
Actually what am I saying, I'm not going to solo a graded climb! I've not climbed above Vdiff, and that was as a second. Getting way ahead of myself as usual...

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:59:54, 25/06/15 »
Oops, not climbed above VSevere I mean.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:47:50, 25/06/15 »
Useful to know the difference between vs and vd!  But the Lakes are the wrong place for scrambles surely, just hills with a few crags on the side.  Back to good old Snowdonia, lot more rock.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:05:23, 25/06/15 »
Well after the Lakes I'm off to Snowdonia for six days of camping, classic scrambles, climbing and good old walking. But I do feel I should give the Lakes chance to shine, as I've loved exploring it so far. But I get what you mean. Striding Edge was atmospheric but in scrambling terms is a poor man's CG, for example.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:19:18, 25/06/15 »
There are lots of scrambles in the Lakes but a lot of them may be a bit away from the fells or routes you want to do.

From Scrambles and Easy Climbs in the Lake District by Jon Sparks

Some of the Coniston area scrambles
Grey Friar's Little Blake Rigg Grade 2 - 70m on excellent rock
Grey Friar's Great Blake Rigg Grade 3 - 120m - guide book says people may feel the need for a rope
Low Water area
The Bell Grade 1 - 60m "jolly little scramble"
Brim Fell from Low Water Grade 2 - 170m Rock is generally rough and remains grippy when wet

I will  post more later on tonight or tomorrow

:)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:16:34, 25/06/15 »
Some more!

More from Jon Sparks Scrambles and Easy Climbs

Borrowdale and Buttermere
Gillercombe (at the top of Sour Milk Gill above Seathwaite
Seathwaite Upper Slabs Grade 1 or 3 - 20m
Gillercombe Crag North East Buttress Grade 2  - 130m “straightforward scramble” “polished evidence of wear and tear that aids route finding”

Langstrath
Cam Crag ridge Grade 2 - 200m “one of the districts best known scrambles”
Combe Gill
Intake Ridge Grade variable from Grade 2 to Diff - 100m “lots of route choice”

From Scrambles in the Lake District Northern Lakes by Brian Evans
Borrowdale
Jackdaw Ridge, Shepherd’s Crag Grade 2 - 70m “spiky ridge with a steep start”
Nitting Haws Grade 2 - 260m “mix of easy scrambling and walking, some shattered rock requires care”
Base Brown from Taylorgill Force Grade 2 or 3 - 280m “a long scramble with a sting in it’s tail”

Honister/Buttermere
Grey Knotts Grade 1 - 50m “easy angled, not serious scrambling on good rough rock”
Little Round How Grade 2 - 25m “slabby rock requires balance climbing and dry conditions”

I don’t have the Southern Lakes Scrambles book by Brian Evans - but I am sure there are lots more scrambles around Coniston. By googling Belles Knott scramble (this is near Grasmere) I found a link to ebooks and if you put Coniston in the search bar it brings up this - a preview of the book with a lot of scrambles shown

Have a good time and I hope the weather is nice for you  :)
Hate will never win

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 05:24:03, 26/06/15 »
Wow, excellent service April, thank you. Are you going to come and cook my tea too?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:55:56, 26/06/15 »
 ;D

You need to ask Beefy and Karl about my cooking  ;D  My specialities are lumpy custard and almost inedible volcanic chilli beanfeast.

I will post a link to the ebook preview at lunchtime when I find it again  :)

Here is a copy of the link to e books and the preview
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gRdG_WyYaAMC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=belles+knott+scramble&source=bl&ots=mEeHSIi0Rp&sig=5LAA-BC-Ya813zGnEkshJkMEpcQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0F6MVbqAO8f9Up2Ko6gF&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=coniston&f=false
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:09:20, 26/06/15 »
But the Lakes are the wrong place for scrambles surely, just hills with a few crags on the side.  Back to good old Snowdonia, lot more rock.

And sheep  ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:20:27, 26/06/15 »
Probably shouldn't say this as a Welshman but I prefer the sheep in the Lakes. More varied in appearance and friendlier in appearance, less timid

Less to be nervous about I suppose...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy