Author Topic: Eskdale Skyline - 22.5KM/14M!  (Read 1503 times)

blighter

Eskdale Skyline - 22.5KM/14M!
« on: 14:35:47, 26/02/08 »
Walk: http://www.filesurge.net/files/1/sca%20fell%20walk.pdf [nofollow]
OS Maps: Landranger 89 or 90, or Explorer OL6
Distance: 22.5KM/14miles
Time: 11 hours
Grade: 9

This is a walk around the Eskdale skyline that is 14 miles long, with more total ascent than climbing Ben Nevis! The walk takes in the highest peak (Scafell Pike) in England and some of the craggiest mountains in the Lakes - five 3000+ footers in all. The walk is described as a Grade 9 - "a challenging full day in the high mountains".

I'm going to be doing this as a sponsored charity walk in June - More Details Here [nofollow]

:)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Eskdale Skyline - 22.5KM/14M!
« Reply #1 on: 15:33:23, 26/02/08 »
Its a cracking walk, Blighter (for some strange reason, i always want to add the words "yer little" before your name)
Last time we did this - about six or seven years ago, my poor dog could barely walk the next day due to sore paws - so much we had to cancel a walk up Harter Fell and go shopping in Keswick instead.
Before you go, though, check out  Wasdale mrt's website as it has some information on the routes between Scafell and Scafell Pike. Apparently - the Lords Rake route has a long standing (or long slipping!) problem with a very large and unstable boulder, and the Fox's Tarn route has recently had some quite big landslips. One of the reports about this is a bit hairy to say the least.
Broad Stand is, of course, not recommended for yer average walker who prefers to live a long and happy life. I dont think there is another route which doesnt involve a long descent.
Anyway - its worth checking out those routes as the situation seems to change from time to time.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

blighter

Re: Eskdale Skyline - 22.5KM/14M!
« Reply #2 on: 15:41:50, 26/02/08 »
Ahh ok, thanks for that! :) Will have a look at the site before I go!

This'll be my first trip to the Lakes (Only 17 and live in Kent, so haven't had many chances to go before as parents/friends don't like walking :() so am looking forward to it!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy