Author Topic: Teesdale - Lartington and Deepdale  (Read 3319 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Teesdale - Lartington and Deepdale
« on: 22:26:38, 05/05/08 »
This was another Durham County Council walk, lead by Ian and stewarded by David, Steve and yours  truly - and with 31 walkers and two dogs.
This was the first "summery" walk this year - and I atually managed to get down to a short-sleeved t-shirt.
The walk was a simple circular starting in Barnard Castle visiting Lartington Park which has some very fine and quite old trees - and a cemetary for County Durham's more notable Roman Catholics.
We returned to Barny via Deepdale - a well-named narrow, wooded valley - quite steep and just a bit tricky in its higher parts - and chockablock with wild flowers.
Barny used to be a major garrison town and is surrounded by old army camps, and Deepdale was one of the training areas. One of the pics below shows a WW2 War Department sign which seems to have become part of a tree over the last 60 years!
Fab little walk - not to be done after a lot of wet weather as Deepdale becomes a muddy skating rink with above some interestingly steep ground....
Rocks at the top provide a cracking lunch and bouldering spot. 

Didnt take too many pics as I was busy stewarding....and I try to avoid taking pics on DCC walks in which you might be able to recognise anybody.

7.5 miles and 750 feet of climbing

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy