Author Topic: The Coast to Coast  (Read 5049 times)

Gizerd

The Coast to Coast
« on: 13:11:03, 17/05/08 »
After all your excellent advice, I've decided to do the Coast to Coast. I know I don't have too much time to prepare, but what the hell!  O0

Can anyone recommend a good modern guidebook for the Coast to Coast, something completely inclusive?

I'm predicting I'll be starting it Saturday, June 21st. I will definitely be taking my time (I found a 17 day itinerary) Haven't quite decided which direction: West to East is more popular because of weather, East to West seems more appealing to me because of difficulty (the lakes being last will give me some time to find my rhythm!).

Lizzie

pete

Re: The Coast to Coast
« Reply #1 on: 20:22:11, 18/05/08 »
The Walking Country guide for the C to C by Paul Hannon looks a good book,if it is as good as his day walks books it could be worth a try.Also worth a look at is the site coast2coast.co.uk.
It must be tea time by now

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:25:07, 18/05/08 »
 Provided they are still available the best bet is to buy the two 1:25,000 maps
which also have route descriptions taken from Wainwright's book.

Gizerd

« Reply #3 on: 17:00:08, 19/05/08 »
Yeah I've considered purchasing the topo software for the UK...or Europe whichever is the larger one available...so I can just print out the maps like I do here in the U.S.

The coast2coast.co.uk website is GREAT! I almost don't feel the need to purchase a guidebook except that I'd love to learn the history of the trail while on it. Perhaps I should also buy Wainwright's book? I know Darsky mentioned he has them all...anyone know if it would be a good read while on that trail?

Lizzie

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:05:20, 19/05/08 »
a good read, more than a guidebook, and a work of art!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:14:53, 19/05/08 »
a good read, more than a guidebook, and a work of art!

I was just about to post pretty much exactly what Ian said and then I had to go and actually do some work :o You may want to read something else when actually on the C2C depending how engrossed in the walk you want to be but you should certainly read AW before you go.

EditIf you have not read it you should take with you 'The Ascent of Rum Doodle' by W.E. Bowman (ISBN 9780712668088) an absolute classic of mountain exploration literature.

...and another edit because I can not spell the books title.
« Last Edit: 17:48:39, 19/05/08 by Ridge »

Gizerd

« Reply #6 on: 17:26:58, 19/05/08 »
Ridge,

What would you recommend while on the trail then? Something cultural, historical, or botanical are all great...right now my reading list is just personal stuff I want to work on while isolated a bit on the trail. 

Until this forum I didn't know who Alfred Wainwright was, didn't know about the Coast to Coast and had no idea England was only 198 miles wide.

Yes...culturalcentric is an appropriate label, lol :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:34:24, 19/05/08 »
What would you recommend while on the trail then?

I was editing my post as you were typing the question.

You probably know a lot more about England than I do about North Carolina.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:20:15, 21/05/08 »
If you have not read it you should take with you 'The Ascent of Rum Doodle' by W.E. Bowman (ISBN 9780712668088) an absolute classic of mountain exploration literature.

I should probably add that while this book is a classic and it is about mountain exploration if you are looking for it in a book shop it should be in the 'humorous fiction' section.

titaniumdude

« Reply #9 on: 00:41:35, 22/05/08 »
If you can possibly swing it you are definitely better off starting the C2C in the middle of the week at this time of year.  It's very popular and most folks start it on a saturday.  One Guy I met on another LDP counted 70 different people he passed (or was passed by)within a few hours of starting it.  Just so you know though there is now a pub at Keld that resides in what used to be the old hostel (still does accommodation). 
Just a thought.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Gizerd

« Reply #10 on: 15:25:38, 22/05/08 »
I am kind of a people person and would enjoy starting it off and doing it with a group of people. Hoping actually to meet up with some. However, I do like walking alone or in the peace and quiet...so I'll definitely take that into consideration. I'm arriving on Sunday evening to London, I might get through all I want to see and be able to get out to St. Bees a little early :)

I've decided to start the trail at St. Bees due to weather being at your back and most people traveling that direction...but what is the best way to get from London to St. Bees?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:59:26, 22/05/08 »

but what is the best way to get from London to St. Bees?

By train.First to Carlisle and then a connection to St Bees.If you book in advance you should get a good discount,possibly more than fifty percent.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:29:48, 22/05/08 »
Yep, take the train.

Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk to find train times etc. and then follow the links to book your ticket.

Mr Sam

« Reply #13 on: 16:47:59, 22/05/08 »
Are you sure you really want to come to St.Bees. Theirs a Beach and the start of a walk out of St.Bees. It's really not worth going there.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:14:51, 22/05/08 »
Are you sure you really want to come to St.Bees.

Well clearly she doesn't want to go to St Bees as she is going to spend quite a lot of time and energy getting as far away from it as possible (going east).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy