Author Topic: Another E-trex thread!  (Read 7008 times)

gellison

Another E-trex thread!
« on: 22:01:16, 08/06/11 »
Finally managed to get my one piece lead from america for my e trex. Do i need to install some software or something on the computer to be able to transfer routes etc?? Plugged it in and kind of expected computer to say found new hardware or something

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Another E-trex thread!
« Reply #1 on: 22:06:13, 08/06/11 »
Nah ... not as simple as that!  You won't AFAIK get that with your Etrex model.  Just connect it and switch it on.  Then you should be able to download/upload gpx files using any suitable program  ;)
Where there's a will ...

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:06:34, 08/06/11 »
You'll probably need Garmin Basecamp. Free download for Mac/PC here: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp

There's also an online app for recording routes etc: http://connect.garmin.com/

I think Basecamp gives you the connectivity to your device. I use a Mac and I don't have any problems with connectivity. With a PC you need drivers and Basecamp probably supplies those with the package. Didn't you get a disc with the Etrex?
« Last Edit: 22:11:54, 08/06/11 by alanstarkie2001 »
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:14:19, 08/06/11 »
If you do find you need USB drivers you can get them from Garmins website, or download Basecamp as Alan suggests.  I think bikehike.co.uk will also work without the need to download separate drivers.  Just remember that your Etrex won't be detected unless you switch it on  O0
Where there's a will ...

gellison

« Reply #4 on: 22:53:44, 08/06/11 »
plugged it in and switched it on and got nothing, checked had installed the drivers for the lead and had and downloaded the garmin usb drivers and still nothing  :(

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:06:04, 08/06/11 »
What software are you using?  Have you also checked the Interface setting on your Etrex? 

Go to Menu>Setup>Interface Settings>I/O Format and ensure Garmin is selected.
« Last Edit: 08:35:14, 09/06/11 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:30:59, 08/06/11 »
Which Etrex Model do you have?

Memory Maps will talk to my Etrex H and send, receive GPX, routes etc

But I have had to buy a usb to usb converter and install the drivers.

Free software I suggest: EasyGPS

For free Plot and save routes on www.walkinghighlands.co.uk  -Register free for 1:25 maps-. Then load or save the GPX files from your PC to the Etrex H with EasyGPS.

http://www.easygps.com/

But I am sure people will come along soon to tell you better.

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 05:02:18, 09/06/11 »
plugged it in and switched it on and got nothing, checked had installed the drivers for the lead and had and downloaded the garmin usb drivers and still nothing  :(
Check in the Devices Manager or whatever its called in Control Panel, to see which port the GPS is using, thgen slect that port in your mapping programs settings for the GPS.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:13:34, 09/06/11 »
Yes, it should be shown under Garmin Devices in Device Manager.  If it's not appearing there you may have a faulty cable?

If it is there it will tell you if it's working properly and if any drivers are loaded.  Mine shows that I have a driver supplied by Garmin loaded.
« Last Edit: 07:16:40, 09/06/11 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:15:11, 09/06/11 »
Gelli, apologies for the multiple replies, another thing has just occurred to me (on shift til 12 last night so brain still slightly scrambled) ... posters on another forum I use have reported problems connecting some GPS to PCs if using USB hubs, so if you aren't already make sure you plug the cable directly to a USB on the PC, not via a hub of any sort.

If you can see the Etrex in Device Manager then I'd suggest you try www.bikehike.co.uk, simply because I know that is easy to access and comes with the Garmin Communicator Plug-In so should have no problems communicating with your Etrex.
« Last Edit: 08:19:40, 09/06/11 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

gellison

« Reply #10 on: 08:34:13, 09/06/11 »
To be honest I'm not the best with computers!! Haven't looked at any interface settings as I have no idea how to but starting to think its the lead that's the problem. It is connected directly to the comp so that's not the issue. Need to have another look when I get home

gellison

« Reply #11 on: 18:52:53, 09/06/11 »
Went on bike hike and had a look at that plug in and it says its detected etc so thats a start. Just cant figure bike hike out for the life of me.  Tried All ways of plotting a route and nothing, try to put a start and finishing point as the same place and just  makes a route across a road and back, tried changing all the options and still cant plot way points like i can on get a map and no idea how to send to the gps either??

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:39:33, 09/06/11 »
Well that's a plus, if your Etrex is detected it's not the cable  ;)

You need to untick the box that says 'Follow road (google map)'.

Once that's unticked you can click away and the route will go from waypoint to waypoint.

To send to gps simply click on 'Download route'.

You'll get a pop up box, that is pretty self explanatory, and you get the option to send it to your GPS or your PC, just make sure you tick the box that says gpx route  O0 
« Last Edit: 19:43:01, 09/06/11 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

gellison

« Reply #13 on: 19:54:11, 09/06/11 »
sussamb your a diamond, if we meet at any point i owe you a pint!! i have been tearing my hair out trying to get it to find the gps and work bike hike but appear to be all sorted now i think  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:56:05, 09/06/11 »
Great ... now you can really enjoy it  O0

Mine's an Old Peculiar by the way  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy