Author Topic: SCARFELL PILE : FIRST TIME BACKPACKERS (well, for 30 years)  (Read 1108 times)

wbmkk

Hi

I'll be doing my first backpacking for several years (well, 30+ years since scouting days) in a few weeks. My son & I will be going, together with daughter and her partner, who lie in the Midlands.

We've decided on Scarfell Pike; the plan is as follows :-

FRIDAY EVENING

Stay at a camp site nearby

OUR OPTION 1

SATURDAY MORNING

Take one car to our proposed destination, then return to starting point

Walk approx. 10 miles including Scarfel Pike, carrying our gear

SATURDAY NIGHT : wild camp

SUNDAY

Walk approx. 10 miles more to another point, collect car

THIS RELIES ON HAVING TWO SAFE / SECURE CAR PARKING SPOTS

Can anybody suggest a good route please ?

OUR OPTION 2

Leave both cars together, walk out 10 miles, camp and return in a circular route.

Again, can anybody suggest a good route please ?

bkray

there is a route i found in country walking that i done only yesterday which was good. it was something about a corridor climb. however on this route there is scrambling in places and it is a long route however it may spice things up.
on my first go at scafell, me only being 14, struggled with the endurance for it. however nearing the age of 15 and alot of practice wen i recently tried, it seemed much easier. remember, never say 'nearly there'.

also, i know like im dragging on but you dont have to go all the way. if it comes to hard just turn around and go back. there are other easier walks in the lake district which give better views.
Never was so much owed to so many by so few - winston churchill to the RAF

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
there is a route i found in country walking that i done only yesterday which was good. it was something about a corridor climb. however on this route there is scrambling in places and it is a long route however it may spice things up.

That'll be the Corridor route from Borrowdale - there's a  down scramble at the top of Piers Gill, not too difficult, but you wouldnt want to slip off. You could do the route and back to Borrowdale in a day, and most people do. The rockstep could be a bit awkward with a heavy pack. But anybody backpacking would have the option of a fine wild camp in the little corrie just above the rockstep.
There's loads of other routes which are a bit less exciting for anybody who might be a bit wobbly on the rockstep - eg along the ridge from Esk Hause/Great End, or a route including Upper Eskdale, for instance.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

wbmkk

Thanks for your replies, but I actually went a few weeks ago. It was great.

The route was :-

Saturday, Crinkle Crags, Climbers Traverse, drink at the spring, up Bowfell and overnight camp at Angle Tarn

Sunday, walk back to car

VERY VERY VERY TIRED !!!

Was it worth it ?  I'll tell you when my calfs recover

Just realised how unfit I was

AGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bkray

i know what your saying. i dont know how many times i old my-self to tell the others im turning back. i didnt have the balls to tell them and walked all the way n back with calfs that felt like someone had stabbed them.
Never was so much owed to so many by so few - winston churchill to the RAF

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy