Author Topic: North Pennines - Baldersdale and Romaldkirk Moor  (Read 2522 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
I joined yesterday's Durham CC guided walk as a punter, not as a steward/ranger  just for the fun of it. The walk was lead by Bill Gallon and was advertised as 14 miles and, as well as the 3 stewards, there were 21 other punters and a small dog.
We started at Romaldkirk and used the Teesdale Railway path for a while (this is a fab, easy walk by the way for anybody who likes fab, easy walks - very good for blackberries which will start to be ready in a few weeks (dribble....))
Er... sorry, distracted there for a mo (they're fab hot and stewed with apple and vanilla ice cream by the way.....)...  and up through various meadows and pastures to the Baldersdale reservoirs, then, on the same route as wot I did through Hannah's meadows a week or so ago... (or in a fruit cobbler with lots of custard...slurp.....)
We came back alongside thre three reservoirs (lots of canada geese) and up the hill to Botany farm  with a long, straight track back to Romaldkirk  (or you can make some nice wine if you've collected enough.....)
14 miles and a mere 1100 feet of ascent - so its fairly gentle. The yellow rattle pictured in the  Hannah's meadow walk is now brown and rattling loudly - not exactly the same yellow rattle, obviously (dhuhh!). Most of the meadows have now been cut or are being cut. Quite a hot day, too....
Any further delicious suggestions about what to do with blackberries, specially those involving ice cream,  welcome - post them here!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: North Pennines - Baldersdale and Romaldkirk Moor
« Reply #1 on: 15:00:46, 28/07/08 »
- very good for blackberries which will start to be ready in a few weeks (dribble....))

Out on Saturday there were loads ripe but as it was only an afternoon stroll we didn't have anything to put them in. Fortunately my son was wearing a black baseball cap, and as we were almost back at the car.....

For future reference 1 baseball cap full of blackberries makes enough crumble for 6.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #2 on: 15:53:22, 28/07/08 »
Blackberry and apple crumble....Now we are talking!!!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:50:55, 28/07/08 »
Out on Saturday there were loads ripe but as it was only an afternoon stroll we didn't have anything to put them in. Fortunately my son was wearing a black baseball cap, and as we were almost back at the car.....

For future reference 1 baseball cap full of blackberries makes enough crumble for 6.

Really? Crikey - they're still little white flowers up here.... although there are some very sweet bilberries on the Lancashire moors

Still dribbling.....

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:35:42, 28/07/08 »
Mike - great walk and photos, we were up on Goldsborough on Sunday morning, parked up at Hury and walked over Cotherstone Moor then back along the reservoir, lovely summers morning and hardly saw a sole!  :)
I've uploaded some photos from our walk onto my web site ...
http://www.mywainwrights.co.uk/2008walks/270708/270708.html

Gary ...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:49:08, 28/07/08 »
Looks a bit of a steamer, Gary (hot weather) fine set of pictures - but  apparently there's a cup and ring marked rock on Goldsborough which I keep looking for but fail to find.  A pal is supposed to be sending me a GPS grid ref for it.... don't suppose you noticed it?

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:52:42, 28/07/08 »
Sorry Mike - no we didn't notice it ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy