Author Topic: Holmfirth To Edale Walk  (Read 6666 times)

Sycowalker

Holmfirth To Edale Walk
« on: 19:35:37, 08/09/08 »
Hi would like to tell you all about a walk we did a few weeks ago, leaving our sleeply hamlet of Holmfirth about 6am in the morning and walking to Edale via Bleaklow where we picked up the Pennine Way all the way down to Kinder Scout. Rather than stick to the Pennine Way here we crossed the plateau in hail, rain, bog and more bog before descending down Grindsbrook Clough into the Nags Head, then a train to Sheffield, change to Brockholes and home. This is truly a stunning walk and dispite the 23 miles not all that hard. The longest climb of the day is up Near Back Clough onto Bleaklow, a steady 3 miles up hill. Should anyone wish to know the full route don;t hesitate to ask.
regards sycowalker

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Holmfirth To Edale Walk
« Reply #1 on: 14:28:04, 09/09/08 »
This sounds like one of those traditional Pennine classic walks....

When I were a lad,  ::) I lived in Earby and quite often this was the terminus for Manchester walkers who'd headed up the Pennines from somewhere exotic down south over a weekend. (probably Rochdale or Oldham!) They'd turn up Sunday evening convered in peat, smelling like a yak herder's underpants hamper and staggerring along with all sorts of pots and pans hanging off their rucksacks asking for the whereabouts of the railway station....   

Its a long walk through the bogs with a train home, y'see......  should be a right of passage for every self-respecting hillwalker.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

IAIN BARKER

« Reply #2 on: 17:55:12, 10/12/08 »
Earby? when I were a lad I used to go caving near Earby. And I also used to wind up smelling like a yek herders underpants.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:32:22, 10/12/08 »
Ah, yes, the parfum de yak herder's skeggies - what is it about yak herders I wonder? I suppose a rampaging bull yak could be quite scary, though....   I expect you went caving a bit further up the Dales - there's only the reservoir tunnels at Earby, but we never went down those as kids, obviously... I think the nearest decent caves are probably at Settle/Malham sort of thing...  Although I do remember a fairly teetering buttress in the quarry at Thornton in Craven that had a short cave in it. Its probably fallen down by now.

Oooh, and there's a lead mine at Cononley - accessed by removing a slab and crawling through the boot of a scrap car  that had been jammed in the hole - and out over the bonnet into an inclining stone-lined passage.  We never went down there either!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy