Author Topic: Kisdon by the Corpse Road  (Read 2086 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Kisdon by the Corpse Road
« on: 23:47:39, 25/09/08 »
This was the first walk in a pair during a brief but expensive camping/scoffing trip to Keld with Mike and Theresa from go4awalk....
We had to do a short one on day one due to a late start...
This is a fairly easy walk with just the one hill - following the corpse road which goes to Muker - with a short diversion to visit the fine summit cairn - then to the Kearton Tea Rooms at Thwaite for  genteel tea and sparrow-feeding, and then field paths passing some rather cracking but small geomorphological features (a little moraine) and back to Keld for yet more tea, camping  and fine scoffs at Keld Lodge, the ex-YHA.  The food here is really good.  Unfortunately (possibly fortunate for Keld's local economy, the place seems to have relieved me of about fifty quid, which is much more than, say , Aviemore managed on my TGO trip.....  and the whole purpose of Aviemore - long practised over many Scottish generations - is to get the contents of your bank account into theirs.
A remarkable effort of which they should be justly proud.)

6 miles  and just under 1000 feet of climbing, three cups of tea and a ginger biscuit

Quite a good walk, too....views are a bit special....but it was a bit hazy, though...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

walking-books

• Veteran Member
Re: Kisdon by the Corpse Road
« Reply #1 on: 23:50:11, 04/10/08 »
Things certainly have changed since I left Swaledale!

You spent £50 in Keld??!!  Yikes!!
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

Krotteotr

« Reply #2 on: 11:28:45, 14/06/15 »
Hello Mike,

Apologies if it is bad form bringing an old thread back to life.

You mention a moraine between Thwaite and Keld.   Can you describe just where it is or pin-point its' position please ?

Thanks
krotteotr

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:03:16, 14/06/15 »
Hello Krotteotr

I can't even remember posting this post! Although I do have a vague memory of the walk. All I can say is that |I'd just been on a 2 day glacial morphology course based in a van touring the North Pennines and I was probably seeing moraines, kettles, eskers and, specially drumlins all over the place. Whatever it was, I described as "small", so it must have been distinctive because most of the glacial stuff in the area is on a huge scale.  Sorry - best go and have a look if you've an interest in peri-glacial features!  I've not walked that particular path since 2008 and, at the moment, have no plans to go back
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy