Author Topic: Carneddau The big horseshoe Sunday 21.10.12  (Read 14047 times)

tabbycat

Re: Carneddau The big horseshoe Sunday 21.10.12
« Reply #15 on: 20:18:11, 05/11/12 »
Posted by: mananddog« on: Today at 15:20:34 »

And on Saturday in winter conditions. We did the same thing from Rachub and took in Foel Fras as well so Dog has now completed the Welsh 3000. I measured it as 14.3miles so you might be selling yourself short. It took us a tad over three and a half hours. Dog loves snow!!

Looks very striking from that angle especially with its winter coat on  O0

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:38:22, 28/11/12 »
I really like the solitude of parking in Gerlan just behind the Welsh pub Yr Sior.
It,s not a long walk to the main ridge approaching Yr Aryg and on to Carnedd Uchaf but living in Llandudno I can choose the right day to go walking.

I will never venture into the Carneddau in poor weather due to the appalling difficulty of navigation especially approaching the ridge below Yr Aryg and beyond.

I've done a lot of walking in all parts of Snowdonia but The Carneddau are a walkers paradise in fine weather.
I don't envy anyone living much further afield who have to walk The Carneddau in pea soup weather,firstly you have no idea where you are going and if you are unsure about your location navigation onto the main ridge can be a nightmare.

Still in my opinion the finest walking country in the whole of Wales and on a clear day when nobody else is sharing the mountains with you its as close to heaven on Earth there is.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:08:29, 28/11/12 »
That's only the middling horseshoe, surely?  The BIG one starts at bwlch y deufen, does a complete traverse in a sort of reversed J shape, and finishes on the valley road at Dolgarrog.  But yes, too many people get fixated on Snowdon itself.  Some great 'striding' walking on the Carneddau and, I suggest, a safer alternative for winter conditions than Snowdon.

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:07:00, 29/11/12 »
That does look a cracking walk.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:34:59, 29/11/12 »
It is actually much easier than it sounds as you maintain height.  Easiest with two cars of course although I parked at Rowyn hoping to like back with the bus, but I missed it.

tabbycat

« Reply #20 on: 19:23:50, 29/11/12 »
Thanks for the comments , just got home after two Days on the Carneddau including spending a very cold night up there last night ( wednesday night ) hope to post a TR when i thaw out    ::)

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:18:49, 09/12/12 »
The only problem with the Carneddau is their emense size.
In fine weather they are a walkers dream but a walk from the summit of Foel Fras to Pen Yr Ole Wen and back is approaching 17miles in length, 19 miles if you take Yr Elen in aswell.

This is before you even set foot on top of any of the summits, Ogwen to Bwlch Y Ddufaen and back is near enough 27-28miles and that is if the weather is good with no mist or wind.

From Pen Yr Ole Wen to Foel Fras the main Carneddau ridge does not fall below  3000ft, many visitors to Wales and possibly Snowdonia aswell are unaware that this area of land is the heighest continuous mountain range above 3000ft outside of the Scottish Highlands.

On a clear day the Carneddau look so inviting but the distances are deceiving to say the least and if the weather turns nasty it is more dangerous than even Snowdon because it  offers no shelter (apart from the Foel Grach hut) and in bad weather the ridge to Carnedd llewellyn can be one of the loneliest places on earth.

Walk the Carneddau in fine weather the views are amazing.

johnwills

« Reply #22 on: 17:29:48, 07/08/13 »
You always mention 'Carneddau' 'bad weather' 'avoid' llandudno boy...........Think you need to do a Nav course where compass skills and pacing are invoved......don't be scared, grow a pair and get out there!!  O0

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:54:53, 07/08/13 »

The only problem with the Carneddau is their emense size.

why is that a problem, don't you like walking?  ???

In fine weather they are a walkers dream but a walk from the summit of Foel Fras to Pen Yr Ole Wen and back is approaching 17miles in length, 19 miles if you take Yr Elen in aswell.

When I read that I thought it didn't look right so I plotted it out on Memory Map.
The distance from Pen yr Ole Wen to Foel Fras is a tad over 5 miles.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:16:35, 07/08/13 »
Maybe it's nearer 17 miles in bad weather without any nav skills to keep you on the right route  :D ;D
Where there's a will ...

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #25 on: 18:48:30, 07/08/13 »
Beautiful, I grew up with daily views of the Carneddau. I appreciate them more now but have moved far away.

:-[

Still to make my maiden walk in them though, but it's coming.

:)
Twitter: @jonesibfc

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:00:05, 08/08/13 »
This is number two on my list of favourite walks in Wales,but I prefer to do it in the opposite direction, Gyrn Wigiau to Dafydd and probably Pen Yr Ole Wen as well.

As you can see by the rather nice photographs,much of this walk is above the 3000 ft contour so choosing the right day is ever so important.

I do not do this walk as often as I should living so close,but when I do park in Gerlan the weather has to be high clouds, strictly no wind and set fair.

I am sure 99% of walkers who do this 12 mile walk have to do it whatever the weather,they may be lucky,but because of its length and extreme exposure it's a walk reserved for windless high cloud days.

Back in 1991 I was part of a group of eight walkers attempting a 3000s traverse,four of them were experienced Mountain Rescue leaders.
I will never forget the driving rain, high winds from every direction with simply nowhere to hide.

I've seen the Carneddau when all hell has broken loose,and that was 22 yrs ago, since then I have never been back for a repeat showing.

Battling high winds,drenched to the bone,feeling cold and miserable,and even if one wanted to take shelter,none is available.

If that's your idea of fun,then by all means traverse the Carneddau preferable in late Autumn,when the weather really shows its teeth,otherwise choose a nice day,because you will then be blessed by some of the best walking in southern Britain.
« Last Edit: 10:34:34, 08/08/13 by llandudnoboy »

Gary

« Reply #27 on: 19:05:31, 08/08/13 »
A fine day is had up there on a crisp winters day with full on snow

johnwills

« Reply #28 on: 19:06:10, 08/08/13 »
No such thing as bad weather.....just bad clothing!  O0

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:15:08, 09/08/13 »
Dear JohnWills

Ive experienced the Central Ridge of the Carneddau in driving rain and high winds where there is no escape but to battle on.
Top quality waterproofs of any material will not keep the elements at bay, unless your moving quickly you will loose bodyheat very quickly.

6.7 miles of that ridge is above 3000ft,the exposure in bad weather is quadrupled in intensity compared to other areas of Snowdonia.
On Snowdon you can escape the weather fairly quickly, on the Carneddau in the mist, where do you go in such conditions.
This was way back in 1991, I was in a very highly experienced group of walkers, two of them had two way radios due to the adverse weather conditions.
I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Since then ive never returned to the Carneddau in similar weather.

Put it down to past experience, that's why I talk continually about the dangers of the Carneddau when all hell has broken loose.

Distances are great in the Carneddau, no easy escape routes, in bad weather you must be prepared for a walk on the extreme side of nature.

Ive seen it,ive experienced it, and that was in the Summer.

A winter whiteout in such conditions could mean death to the unprepared.
« Last Edit: 18:19:30, 09/08/13 by llandudnoboy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy