Author Topic: Britons walking 80 miles less per year  (Read 2656 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Britons walking 80 miles less per year
« on: 12:17:39, 30/11/12 »

This why we are getting lardy?

Britons walking 80 miles less per yearBritons are walking 80 fewer miles a year than they were just a decade ago, according to experts who warn today that being inactive is almost as bad for us as smoking.

Walking and cycling needs to be the normal way of getting from A to B on short journeys if Britain is to be a healthy nation, say experts http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9705784/Britons-walking-80-miles-less-per-year.html

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Re: Britons walking 80 miles less per year
« Reply #1 on: 12:22:33, 30/11/12 »

[size=2.461em]Cycle and walking 'must be norm' for short journeys
[color=rgb(206, 115, 40) !important][size=0.846em]COMMENTS (1553)    [size=1.231em]By Nick Triggle[/b]Health correspondent, BBC News  
Only 11 minutes per day is spent walking or cycling on average
Continue reading the main story[/b][size=1.231em]Related StoriesWhy are we so unhealthy?[/b] Is cycling getting more dangerous?[/b] Inactivity 'as deadly as smoking'[/b] [size=1.077em]Cycling and walking should be the norm for all short journeys, experts say.  [/b]
[size=1.077em]The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence said people should shun their cars if a trip could be done in 15 or 20 minutes on foot or bike.  
[size=1.077em]It said the approach was needed to combat the "silent epidemic" of inactivity posing a risk to the health of people in England.  
[size=1.077em]The advisory body called on councils to do more to make walking and cycling an easier option in local communities.  
[size=1.077em]It said their new responsibility for public health, which the NHS will hand over next year under the government's reform programme, offered a "unique opportunity" to make a difference.  
[size=1.077em]The National Institute for Health and Clinical Ex  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20499005

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:26:41, 30/11/12 »
Cars make people lazy, when I worked at school we had a discussion about how much better for you and the environment and more fun it would be to walk to school in a group with your friends than get a lift and be stuck in a traffic jam (I walked every day to school and back when I were a nipper) one boy about 10 years old said he would rather sit in a car in a traffic jam  :( Down my road there's a junior school and every morning from about 8.30am and every afternoon from about 2.30pm our road is almost impossible to get in or out of unless you're on foot, it's jam packed and double parked all along with parents being chauffeurs for their kids
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:21:00, 01/12/12 »
The drop in mileage is from 250 miles in the "late 1990's" to 170 miles in 2008. 250 miles a year was pretty pathetic anyway - less than a mile a day and in 2008 it had dropped to 800 yards per day according to "experts". I wonder how they got the data, though. My journey to the off-licence and back is more than 800 yards.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:05:54, 01/12/12 »
I walk 2 miles most days just to go into town and back, might pop into the pub on the way back or might, walk back later, which will be another mile. Add that to my logged walks of at least 1000 miles a year, I have to wonder how many are totally static to even out the statistics..............Oh!  :P  I don't think I filled in any forms for those statistics or was it the TURD call (Telephone Unwanted Randomly Dialled call) that I gave a flea in the ear to. ???

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:23:00, 01/12/12 »
It does make you wonder where the Data come from..

But does remind me that when I walk the six miles into town on a nice day many people treat me with a sense of awe and madness, almost as if I had just done a marathon.. :-\

inline

« Reply #6 on: 12:45:28, 02/12/12 »
Think the average person walks alot more than they realise and those figures are probably wrong....I walk my dog 20ish miles per week and probably the same again going to work/shops which would be 2000+ per year, add to that my hiking & MTB weekends and that total would be doubled. I'm only an everyday joe so surely the stated 170miles per year is way off the mark!!
« Last Edit: 17:09:32, 02/12/12 by inline »
UTV-SOTC

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:32:56, 03/12/12 »
Forum members are clearly not included in the 80 miles per year catagory, however the 'great un-exercised' of our nation would gasp in admiration of themselves for their efforts ;)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:08:47, 03/12/12 »
Studies these days are often done using accelerometers to assess physical activity. I conducted one recently on chronically ill people (cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, kidney failure etc) to look at their activity levels. We age and gender matched healthy controls to the chronic illness group. There was no difference in the average activity levels. Both were alarmingly low, few of the healthy controls walked more than a mile a day.

Healthy people were as active as people who have got an excuse for being less active.

We who produce studies like this don't just make up the facts - unlike the papers which report them.

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:23:23, 03/12/12 »
A few months ago my great niece (age 7) stayed with us and we took her on a 1/2 mile walk in the woods which my 3 yr old grandson happily walks. You should have heard the howls of protest 'I can't walk all this way' etc I was shocked. One of her complaints was 'why do they put the nettles next to the path'  ??? When I was growing up, not only did we have to walk 3 miles there and back to school each day but we got taken out on nature trails for our biology lessons sometimes and spent all our time playing outside, running and cycling around, going pond dipping, cops and robbers etc

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 12:31:22, 03/12/12 »
The drop in mileage is from 250 miles in the "late 1990's" to 170 miles in 2008. 250 miles a year was pretty pathetic anyway - less than a mile a day and in 2008 it had dropped to 800 yards per day according to "experts". I wonder how they got the data, though. My journey to the off-licence and back is more than 800 yards.
Should think that makes it the pi**ed-off licence! Geddit? ;D

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 12:33:17, 03/12/12 »
A few months ago my great niece (age 7) stayed with us and we took her on a 1/2 mile walk in the woods which my 3 yr old grandson happily walks. You should have heard the howls of protest 'I can't walk all this way' etc I was shocked. One of her complaints was 'why do they put the nettles next to the path'  ??? When I was growing up, not only did we have to walk 3 miles there and back to school each day but we got taken out on nature trails for our biology lessons sometimes and spent all our time playing outside, running and cycling around, going pond dipping, cops and robbers etc
I had to walk 20 miles to school....then for homework I did a 100 hour shift down t'pit! And I were grateful for it too... O0

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:45:18, 03/12/12 »
I had to walk 20 miles to school....then for homework I did a 100 hour shift down t'pit! And I were grateful for it too... O0

??? ;D

Morgan

« Reply #13 on: 20:17:03, 10/12/12 »
It does make you wonder where the Data come from..

But does remind me that when I walk the six miles into town on a nice day many people treat me with a sense of awe and madness, almost as if I had just done a marathon.. :-\

Echo this. I've logged over 1,600km (1,000 miles) this year and I don't log anything under 1k (pub, post office etc). I walk into town (4km or so) by default unless it's really tipping down with rain and even that seems to surprise and challenge many of my friends, let alone the 20km 'proper walks' that I enjoy at the weekends...

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:47:39, 10/12/12 »
Echo this. I've logged over 1,600km (1,000 miles) this year and I don't log anything under 1k (pub, post office etc). I walk into town (4km or so) by default unless it's really tipping down with rain and even that seems to surprise and challenge many of my friends, let alone the 20km 'proper walks' that I enjoy at the weekends...

Yeap :) ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy