Author Topic: Snowdonia Mountain Walking Conditions  (Read 3192 times)

riph72

Snowdonia Mountain Walking Conditions
« on: 12:10:28, 24/12/08 »
Hello all,

I'm planning on doing a trip up that way just after Xmas, possibly looking at the Carneddau.  What are conditions like up there at the moment, would I require crampons etc to do something like this?
I do own crampons, but haven't used them before so would avoid doing something like Carneddau if they will be required.
When I finally get round to using my crampons for the first time, I'll make sure it's somewhere that poses little danger, like my street or my garden   :)

Regards,
Richard.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdonia Mountain Walking Conditions
« Reply #1 on: 14:37:29, 24/12/08 »
Have a look here to give you a general feel. The tops are quite broad, but very bouldery in places. It also depends which way up you go as well. There are one or two small scrambles but nothing too stressful. Good luck anyway..

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/jul2.htm

or you could try this one

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/sep1.htm

but not this one! :o

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/aug1.htm

riph72

« Reply #2 on: 20:54:42, 04/01/09 »
ramblingpete,
That Carneddau walk looks great, I'll have a go at that when Spring comes along.  Do you have the GPS track available, I could follow this to make life easier (don't worry though, I'll have a map and compass as backup!)...
Cheers,
Richard.

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 20:17:51, 05/01/09 »
I was up on Pen Yr Ole Wen yesterday, damn cold.

Skating on Ffynnon Lloer

The scramble up the east ridge

Ffynnon Lloer from the start of the scramble

View at around 850m contour.

Frozen butties at the summit.

Right, where's the pub...

Crampons wouldnt have been useful yesterday, but there were plently of places to slip and slide on the ice.  Extra care was taken on the way down the south west ridge, it really was think about every step and the mist poured right down to the Idwal Cottage.

Any Moel's a goal.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:42:48, 07/01/09 »
Brrrrr - FSV how icy was the scramble up?

I'm stuck in Houston this week - only 24deg..

In answer to your question about GPS points riph72 - I will try and send them to you if I can dig them out - I'll send by PM.

In the meantime, I'm off to sit in the sun 8)
« Last Edit: 18:44:33, 07/01/09 by ramblingpete »

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #5 on: 18:16:00, 08/01/09 »
It had a couple of moments where we had to sidestep the ice, but nothing that had me screaming for my mama.  A little bit of foot slip here and there.  Thoroughly enjoyed the scramble, it was the hike after that in the thick mist that was soul sapping, and least said about the bearing on the descent the better.
Any Moel's a goal.

Boatgypsy

« Reply #6 on: 21:56:49, 11/01/09 »
I was up at Llyn Idwal today trying to battle with the winds. Not many people around, which was not surprising, given the weather. The wind was the strongest I have ever known. I rekon it was gusting at around 120mph, as I was blown off my feet several times, and even blown along the ground on my butt. Needless to say we stayed away from the edges. :)

Did anyone else brave the wind?
Growing old is inevitable!
Growing up is optional!

Cat

« Reply #7 on: 18:19:29, 12/01/09 »
we braved it on saturday, tried snowdon via the pyg track but got to 900m before turning back due to ice and hurricane force winds, spent more time on our bums than our feet and I made the executive decision that it just wasn't worth someone dying to look at nothing but white at the summit.  There have been several accidents in the past few days and I think we have to know when to say no.  Unbelievably there were people up there in trainers, with full 90L rucksacks, dogs and even a few children. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy